The Dons v Motherwell

2 hours ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

Certainly looks like they've put the wrong colours to the lines in case that's the way it's supposed to be...

IMG-20240214-WA0163.jpg

The colour of the attacker line is automatic depending on where it is relative to the defender line.

If it’s offside, it’s red; if it’s onside, it’s green. The defender line is always blue.

It’s a close decision, but both lines are clearly “attached” to parts of both players - the attacker’s head and the defender’s…um…backside. The lines are also of a thickness that gives benefit of the doubt to the attacking player. 

The issue is that we while the 18-yard camera is perfectly fine for determining offside (due to the calibration), it doesn’t do a good job of showing the decision to the masses. If there’d been an angle like this, I think it would have looked more obvious:

GLT-camera.png?width=1350&height=759 

What also doesn’t help is people - and pundits especially - not understanding that when you aren’t looking directly along the line of two objects, their relative positions become distorted. Which again isn’t an issue for placing the offside lines, but it does mean that still images alone don’t show the full picture. 

Edited by The Master

Rubbish offside call on the Miovski goal aside, I can't help but laugh at the fact that Motherwell's goal was disallowed due to a shove in the back and yet when Mellon did it for us in the lead up to our 3rd goal against Livingston a couple weeks back, it was totally fine. The consistency is just nonexistent and it just makes you ask why even bother with VAR if the decisions end up being crapshoots anyway.

11 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Rubbish offside call on the Miovski goal aside, I can't help but laugh at the fact that Motherwell's goal was disallowed due to a shove in the back and yet when Mellon did it for us in the lead up to our 3rd goal against Livingston a couple weeks back, it was totally fine. The consistency is just nonexistent and it just makes you ask why even bother with VAR if the decisions end up being crapshoots anyway.

This is one of my main issues with VAR. So many decisions are subjective. Qualified refs are able to view incidents multiple times, from multiple angles, yet can still arrive at a different decision. 

I know fans have always moaned about consistency. But now we moan about consistency and VAR.

2 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Robbed of a 4th.

This is not offside 

WTF & how has Steven McLean drawn these lines? 

To be fair to VAR, it does look like Miovski is off by a nose. It initially looks onside as you look at the Motherwell players arm being further forward but that doesn’t count as it’s only body parts you can legally score with that are relevant- basically, arms below the shirt line can’t be considered and the lines are drawn properly from his hip. So, his nose does look offside to me!

Edited by Always Hearts

3 hours ago, Meeniedee said:

what you getting all excited about you twat i don't support either one of them.

St Mirren fans keep going on, at every opportunity, about some decision they felt went against them in August. They mention it more often than Tam Cowan goes on about Motherwell’s 1991 cup win.

3 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

There was a slight push but think it's very harsh to chop that off.

Steve Tosh is genuinely a brutal listen. Knows absolutely nothing about even the most basic of rules.

I’ve no idea why anyone would listen to any RedTV commentary, I can’t.

2 hours ago, Alberto Spencer said:

Aberdeen's best finishing position in the Second Tier is 7th. You were "Elected" to the 1st Division, however, so that's not a bad result 😀

You’re new here. I’ll let you off.

2 hours ago, betting competition said:

That’s some stat.

1 hour ago, 1GregStewart said:

Well have a go at the untouchable Warnock then. Shown himself right up tonight as an utterly useless judge of a scenario. Glad he’s enjoying his wee extremely well paid jolly in Scotland though. Fuckin p***k 

Nice balanced view on someone who at least got us a point because he judged the scenario. 

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

It's pretty simple really, the VAR selects the closest point to the goal on the body of each player (not hands or arms) with their crosshair and the technology does the rest to produce the offside lines to account for the camera angle.

VAR didn't rule the goal, it was given offside by the assistant and confirmed as correct by VAR.

The lines drawn by whoever, went through bodies and intertwined with each other. That was shambolic.

1 hour ago, 10menwent2mow said:

I'm more than happy to have a go at Warnock tonight. That starting 11 was laughable. It was reminiscent of the Calderwood tombola. 

I'm not convinced it's the right appointment and his first press conference about 'comin up ere and avin sum fun' majorly put me off. I don't see what we gain from this other than maybe getting a few more seconds on sky sports news because he might have 'summit funny to say'  

I'm still absolutely fuming at that starting 11 and the fact we scabbed a 3-3 changes nothing. 

We were 3-0 down after 26 minutes because of Warnock’s original team selection. We had a final score of 3-3 because Warnock radically changed things after the third goal. If he hadn’t changed it, I foresaw a 7 or 8 goal thrashing. He has to get credit for that.

16 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Some of the shouts about Warnock here are wild.

He got it wrong. Didn't worry about his ego and changed it 15 minutes before halftime. Salvaged a draw, you could argue we were unlucky not to win.

I’m with you, but @1GregStewart does not like Mr Warnock and will probably never give him any credit for anything while he’s here. I get that from the tone of a few of his posts.

You almost accept that a "colour commentator" on a rival's stream is going to be biased towards them, even if that was one of the worst this season. But when paired with a full time well known commentator/journalist you'd expect Maclean to do better than confirming our sub as "Davor Lastname/longname" (I forget which), and getting Bair and Obika mixed up even though the camera then zoomed in and stayed on Obika. I hesitate to put a label, but this is at best either blindness / extreme laziness... Thank goodness for certain websites, because I really would've hated to have paid to listen to that utter shambles.

2 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

2 hours ago, houston_bud said:

This is one of my main issues with VAR. So many decisions are subjective. Qualified refs are able to view incidents multiple times, from multiple angles, yet can still arrive at a different decision. 

I know fans have always moaned about consistency. But now we moan about consistency and VAR.

Herein lies the problem with how VAR is now being used. It is meant to sort clear and obvious errors only. Offside is a matter of fact thing so I can't overly argue with it.

But other calls are being made subjectively, and re refereeing the match according to the opinion of the VAR official, not correcting clear and obvious errors. Thus we are getting too many calls that are completely matters of opinion and thus lacking consistency.

A great example of the above was the Rangers red card last midweek which Don Robertson was called over for and rightly ignored. He should never have been called over as it was not a clear and obvious error. The fact the ban was upheld after appeal backs that up.

In conclusion, as an advocate of VAR before it came in, it now goes too far and our lack of acceptance of human error means we now have to accept this crappy system, at least in Scotland. While it generally works better in UEFA games, our officials here do not work it well. It's crap.

Miovski looked onside for me. If he was off it must have been by the proverbial baw hair. Not understanding the angst about Motherwell's disallowed goal.  The two handed push bowled the defender into the keeper knocking him over.  Undoubtedly a foul.

Before Butcher puts his hands on the Aberdeen defender there is clear shirt-pulling on Mugabe, so should have been a pen had VAR reviewed a few frames back.

Penalising shirt-pulls was all the rage for about a week, then started to get ignored again.

You can go too far either way on warnock tonight. The starting XI was an absolute nonsense and you could put the majority of the blame at us being 3-0 down to him. It may be the short term nature of his appointment and lack of personal jeopardy in the success of this role that emboldens him to ‘try things’. That could be harsh, but I just failed to see the logic of the lineup.

But, he was decisive and changed it so credit where it’s due. Possibly gets slightly fortunate that we immediately score after the changes and the momentum shifts. But I’m happy he made those changes so quickly.

The last half hour was disappointing though, we ran out of ideas and it didn’t really feel like a goal was coming. Motherwell steadied themselves and looked comfortable. We got very rushed and direct and came away from what we’d done to get back in the game. Would’ve been nice to see a change then but options on the bench were lacking. 

Offside is tight but not complaining too much, we’re quite fortunate with the Motherwell goal, which is another absolute howler for Roos by the way. 

Longer term it doesn’t really do anything for me. Even if we’d got the 4th I’d still be feeling like this team is way too unreliable to put together any sort of run to push for Europe. I do believe we’re bottom 6 bound now and the season is going to just go through a slow death.

4 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Herein lies the problem with how VAR is now being used. It is meant to sort clear and obvious errors only. Offside is a matter of fact thing so I can't overly argue with it.

I would normally agree with you on offsides, but the photo last night with dotted lines going up in the air, through bodies and intermingling was a joke.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

You can go too far either way on warnock tonight. The starting XI was an absolute nonsense and you could put the majority of the blame at us being 3-0 down to him. It may be the short term nature of his appointment and lack of personal jeopardy in the success of this role that emboldens him to ‘try things’. That could be harsh, but I just failed to see the logic of the lineup.

But, he was decisive and changed it so credit where it’s due. Possibly gets slightly fortunate that we immediately score after the changes and the momentum shifts. But I’m happy he made those changes so quickly.

The last half hour was disappointing though, we ran out of ideas and it didn’t really feel like a goal was coming. Motherwell steadied themselves and looked comfortable. We got very rushed and direct and came away from what we’d done to get back in the game. Would’ve been nice to see a change then but options on the bench were lacking. 

Offside is tight but not complaining too much, we’re quite fortunate with the Motherwell goal, which is another absolute howler for Roos by the way. 

Longer term it doesn’t really do anything for me. Even if we’d got the 4th I’d still be feeling like this team is way too unreliable to put together any sort of run to push for Europe. I do believe we’re bottom 6 bound now and the season is going to just go through a slow death.

The starting eleven was mind boggling last night, and the first thing that went through my head was that Warnock was "having a bit of fun" at our expense, and maybe he was. You could have asked anyone at the game over the age of 10 last night what they thought was going to happen with one centre back and two full backs as a back three, and two players who don't defend, one in particular, as wing backs, and they would have told you. But you have to give him credit for changing it quickly, although maybe after the second goal might have been better.

Like you I do fear that we will end up in the bottom six, but in our last nine games we play St Johnstone, Ross County, Motherwell, Hibs and Dundee twice so it's very much in our hands to get a minimum of sixth before the split. We have to hope that we've seen the last of the experimentation now.

55 minutes ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

Another game officiated in a room in Glasgow last night. 

Another game we're shafted by VAR. 

Warnock on fraudwatch after that starting XI. Thought he'd be a man for going back to basics (which is what we need). 

If there was no VAR it would still have been chopped off because that was the onfield decision.