The Dons v Motherwell

46 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

There are some decent ones - I'm obviously a bit biased myself, but I think Laurie Dunsire and Jimmy Sandison do a good, fairly unbiased job on Hearts TV, and the Dee Tv guys were decent last week. 

Yeah I would, grudgingly, accept that the whole Hearts TV offering is top notch.  Hibs, Dundee, Motherwell and St Johnstone I've listened to recently have all been decent as well. 

On the offside, my only complaint would be where on the players' bodies they've picked the points.

To me, it looks as though the defender's shirt sleeve is closer to goal than his arsecheek, and so they should draw the line there.

11 minutes ago, MikeAFC94 said:

On the offside, my only complaint would be where on the players' bodies they've picked the points.

To me, it looks as though the defender's shirt sleeve is closer to goal than his arsecheek, and so they should draw the line there.

They check these things before “locking in” the actual lines used. 

3 minutes ago, The Master said:

They check these things before “locking in” the actual lines used. 

Check, how?

It's a person dragging a line across a screen, and so fallible.

If the defender is approximately perpendicular to the byline, his shoulder and arm are closer than his backside.

10 minutes ago, MikeAFC94 said:

Check, how?

It's a person dragging a line across a screen, and so fallible.

If the defender is approximately perpendicular to the byline, his shoulder and arm are closer than his backside.

Watch the video I linked earlier. It's not "a person dragging a line across a screen". It's a person placing a line using crosshairs with pixel-level accuracy.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12881750/var-explained-drawing-the-lines-to-determine-offside

5 minutes ago, The Master said:

Watch the video I linked earlier. It's not "a person dragging a line across a screen". It's a person placing a line using crosshairs with pixel-level accuracy.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12881750/var-explained-drawing-the-lines-to-determine-offside

Okay, it's a person placing a line on a screen.

My point was that I don't think they've played the line correctly. The angle used last night is nothing like what they have available to them in that clip either.

There is no way, physically, that his shirt sleeve is not closer to the byline than where they have placed the line.

9 minutes ago, MikeAFC94 said:

Okay, it's a person placing a line on a screen.

My point was that I don't think they've played the line correctly. The angle used last night is nothing like what they have available to them in that clip either.

There is no way, physically, that his shirt sleeve is not closer to the byline than where they have placed the line.

They don't need the angle used in the clip. The whole system is calibrated meaning they could determine offside from the 18-yard camera at the other end of the pitch if they so wanted. That misses the point anyway. Regardless of what angle they use, the process is the same. A set of crosshairs that have pixel-level accuracy, and that move in a constrained way in 3D space.

The defender is also not fully perpendicular to the goal line. He's turned slightly away from it, which is enough to bring the right arm in and the backside out (in, out, in, out, shake it all about).

IMG-20240214-WA0163.jpg.f341d425fa4efd5b 

Edited by The Master

16 hours ago, afc_blockhead said:

You need to give us some notes (as a Jambo) on bottom 6 football

Ok on relegation you can keep those embarrassments to yourself 😁

If you just keep making the same cnut of yourself that you’ve been making all season you’ll be fine hth.

49 minutes ago, The Master said:

They don't need the angle used in the clip. The whole system is calibrated meaning they could determine offside from the 18-yard camera at the other end of the pitch if they so wanted. That misses the point anyway. Regardless of what angle they use, the process is the same. A set of crosshairs that have pixel-level accuracy, and that move in a constrained way in 3D space.

The defender is also not fully perpendicular to the goal line. He's turned slightly away from it, which is enough to bring the right arm in and the backside out (in, out, in, out, shake it all about).

IMG-20240214-WA0163.jpg.f341d425fa4efd5b 

I always enjoy reading your excellent work on VAR. 

I find it incredible that the far side camera on the other 18 yard line could work this out.

Is there an idiots guide to explaining all this. As I’m clearly an idiot! 😂 

One further question I have on this subject.

At what point does the VAR decide the exact moment when the ball is deemed to leave the foot. There are milliseconds involved that must be extremely difficult to pause and rewind to an exact moment that is deemed the most accurate. 

Is it a VAR operator that decides this or is it a computer system that determines the scientific method?

Thank you. 

4 minutes ago, Schmoo said:

Re VAR, (generally not this example) all the scrutiny/faffing about re the defender and attacker

No scrutiny whatsoever about when the ball was actually released. Blind trust.

Given how inept the operators are can we actually trust that is even correct? I’m not convinced.

This is my view with regards the movement of the ball from the foot versus the movement of the attacker and defender. If it’s a computer following a scientific approach then it’s fair for everyone (and should be studied to make enhancements as necessary each season or with clubs agreement). If it’s human then we are at the mercy of idiots. 

12 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I always enjoy reading your excellent work on VAR. 

I find it incredible that the far side camera on the other 18 yard line could work this out.

To clarify, I meant the 18-yard camera at the other end of the pitch, not the other side - there isn't one on the other side. All non-televised games use six of the standard broadcast positions for both highlights and VAR - two at the half-way line, one at each 18-yard line, one high behind the goal, and one low behind (usually) the opposite goal.

12 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Is there an idiots guide to explaining all this. As I’m clearly an idiot! 😂 

One further question I have on this subject.

At what point does the VAR decide the exact moment when the ball is deemed to leave the foot. There are milliseconds involved that must be extremely difficult to pause and rewind to an exact moment that is deemed the most accurate. 

Is it a VAR operator that decides this or is it a computer system that determines the scientific method?

Thank you. 

It's a manual process of finding the frame where the ball has definitely been kicked. Obviously at 50fps, the ball could be kicked between frames, which is why the lines are as thick as they are because it gives benefit of the doubt to the attacker.

I think every supporter in the league will agree VAR has brought nothing to the game and if we could find a way it should be binned tomorrow and never spoke of again. 

Should’ve/could've been 4-4 as for me there’s nothing wrong with either of the disallowed goals. 

18 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

I think every supporter in the league will agree VAR has brought nothing to the game and if we could find a way it should be binned tomorrow and never spoke of again. 

Should’ve/could've been 4-4 as for me there’s nothing wrong with either of the disallowed goals. 

Well theMiovski goal would still have been ruled out because the linesman flagged for offside

4 hours ago, Leith Green said:

I wondered if he was unwell or something, he didnt seem to contribute much (great dart for the non goal aside).

No doubt he will have a worldy on Saturday...............

He just never, bar the once, got a shooting opportunity. Motherwell smothered him around the box. He had quite a few situations where he had the ball in and around the box, but couldn't fashion that one shooting opportunity that the referee/linesman would allow.

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

It was the wrong call.

I don’t think anyone can really say that tbh. Not even VAR. 

It’s just a bit sad how far down the rabbit hole the offside rule has gone. It’s all a bit dull.