Alloa v Annan

Excitement at fever pitch for tonight's game ๐Ÿ˜

An important one for both sides though. Annan coming off a brilliant win at Hamilton but still in need of a few more like that if they are going to have a chance of avoiding 9th. Smith has been the danger man against us this season but certainly not the only threat.ย 

Big win for Alloa at the weekend too, albeit not the best performance, and the opportunity here to move up to third. Not sure if any of the missing defenders from the weekend will be available. Would expect Annan to again take every chance to put high balls and long throws into the box so a bit more height wouldn't hurt, but Taggs reads the game so well and so calm at the back anyway so no worries if he is in the middle again. Robbo did well at RB on Saturday too. I would like to see Cammy at LB ideally.ย 

Wonder if the manager might change it slightly further up just to give some players a rest and others a chance. Wouldn't be expecting too much of that but we do have good options available on the bench now.ย 

Expecting a tough one but aim has to be to keep the winning run going.ย 

ย 

Edited by Waspie

Hopefully it'll be passed the wee fuds bedtime so they won't be an issue tonight.

I'd be a little surprised if Robbo plays, two games in three days would be a lot given he was out for a good chunk of time but ifย McKay isn't available again, we'll be light on defenders so he might have to play.

I'd like to see Cammy at LB too and give Sutherland a go further up to see what he can bring.

Can Annan win 2 away games in a row , The hamilton win was their first away win apparently.ย 

Annan have had lots of draws away against decent opposition so we need to be on it 100%ย 

1 hour ago, Rory said:

Much better game of football to watch than Saturday!ย 

Nice to see Stanger and Churchy in the stand too.

Didn't think it was great to be honest and we were fortunate to win! Got the early goal - terrific work by Miko and Steven - but while we looked capable of opening Annan up when we went forward, it was all a bit flat. Failed to put them away and as the second half went on Annan got stronger. They deserved their goal but it was a poor one to lose. We were allowing Stirling to take short corners on Saturday and happened again tonight, indeed we were lucky to get away with one in the first half too. Great finish by Smith though. There were a couple more set pieces taken short after that as well, really needs tightened up.ย 

Thought Annan looked more likely winners after their goal but Andy throwing on the attackers paid off with Sammo getting the goal after great work from Buchanan. Fair play to the pair of them and a big, big win on a night when Annan certainly deserved a draw.ย 

Miko is doing well in midfield but it feels a bit harum scarum in the middle of the park with him and Roberts. I'd be tempted to pull Scougall back on Saturday. And Sutherland as an impact sub rather than a starter at the moment.ย 

3rd ๐Ÿโค๏ธ

Edited by Waspie

Used up a get out of jail card tonight! Game reminded me a lot of the first game down at Galabank, encouraging start before we started to drift through the first half and then really poor after the break. Equaliser for Annan seemed to be coming for a while and great for big Sammo to come on and grab us a winner. Giving the opportunity tonight and the quality of opposition, would have been extremely disappointing to have dropped points.ย 
ย 

The goal was well worked and we played some decent stuff first half but just lacked a bit of quality with our final ball. Midfield seemed to disappear in the 2nd half and allowed Annan to start to control the game.ย 
ย 

Overall, 9 points out of 9 from the last 10 days is a great return and exactly what was needed, and has put us in a much stronger position, but we will need to be a lot better to take anything from Saturday.ย 
ย 

Nice to see the exit gate open - now just have to work on the shambles trying to get in to the ground tonight ๐Ÿ˜‚

4 minutes ago, Waspie said:

We were allowing Stirling to take short corners on Saturday and happened again tonight, indeed we were lucky to get away with one in the first half too.

This was driving me mad! All night we allowed it to happen and absolutely no surprise their goal came from a set piece.ย 

1 hour ago, Wilsons14 said:

Howโ€™s Bobby Wales doing? Noticed heโ€™s on quite a good scoring runย 

Supposed to never fall in love with a loan player, but Bobby is making that very difficult!!!

ย 

Heโ€™s been great for us, all around game is very good, he looks absolutely full of confidence, holds up the ball well and has a really good burst of pace as well. As soon as the goals started heโ€™s looked like scoring every week to be honest.ย 

Edited by Kevchenko

7 hours ago, Waspie said:

Didn't think it was great to be honest and we were fortunate to win!ย 

Posted that at half time and regretted it 5 minutes into the second half!

Definitely rode our luck but fortunately came away with 3 points. Not picking up the short corners was frustrating and there were a few crosses I felt PJ could have come for but he stayed rooted to his line.

Credit to the handful of Annan fans that made the trip too.

A great result but agree with everyone that we were lucky but credit the manager for making positive substitutions.

Annan to be fair were excellent in the game and were way better than their league position suggests. Particularly good up front and carried a threat all game. I would say on that showing that they will stay in this league.ย 

We got lucky last night but a welcome break that keeps the momentum going.ย 

8 minutes ago, Rory said:

Anyone know what happened with the Quinn Coulson substitution? Sutherland came off then came back on and Coulson put a jacket back on and sat down.ย 

I was just about to ask that, very strange and don't think I have ever seen this happen before.

Thought we were really poor last night and PJ was probably our best player which says it all.

Agree with Owen, thought Annan passed the ball really well and at times our midfield really struggled against them. If they play like that every week then have a decent chance of avoiding the relegation play off position.

Edited by Magic Hat

Agree with the general consensus. Not a good performance, but Andy is clearly right that the win is the most important thing.

Having said that, if we keep playing like that (and as we did second half versus Stirling) we won't keep the winning run going for long.

Of course Andy will know that and will look to address it before Saturday. It seems to me the main issue is midfield balance/quality. Miko has done well, certainly defensively, but we could be doing with someone who can put their foot on the ball, keep it better. In Stevie G's absence Robbo or Scougs deeper seem our best options In that respect.

Andy is right again though to highlight the team's spirit and theย  options he has on the bench. We were talking early on in the season about being very short in attack. Now we can bring on all of Buchanan, Sammo, Roy, LD (and even Coulson if we get team sheets right ๐Ÿ˜).

Big shout out to Sammo for his goal. He's not everyone's cup of tea, but he still has a big role to play at the club.

Credit to Annan, they played well and have some good players. They are fighting for survival and if any of the team's above them falter they will feel they can stay up.