Elgin City -vs- Stenhousemuir (Saturday 17 February 2024)

Very decent game. Little disappointed not to take all 3 points but a draw against the team destined to win the title isn’t a bad result. Points are the main requirement but it really is heartening to see us play some good football. It’s quite a fun and optimistic trip to Borough Briggs these days which is a turnaround I barely thought possible so huge credit to the management team and players.

I fancied us today so a wee bit disappointed not to win it, especially after that first half performance. Can't fault the players much as I thought we played pretty well and showed real hunger at times to win the 50/50s. Thought that was Gallagher's worst performance that I've seen for us but he still dominated the midfield battle.

Shows how wild the middle of this league is that at half time we were 5th (and seriously starting to consider the possibility of catching Dumbarton), spent most of the second half in 9th then by full time in the other games we are 7th.

Thoroughly enjoyed the game. First half was as good as Elgin have played in a long time against a good team. Thought Cameron was outstanding in the first half. Second Stenny went longer and missed out the midfield more and looked the more likely until the last 10. Bray and Gallagher missed good chances but both had decent games. I was again impressed with Booth he is really settling in well. All played their part though and as others said it’s changed days when we are disappointed with a point.

Missed Nicky today .  Draw was a fair result.  A mystery how Elgin got a penalty in the first half and a similar challenge in the second half in the Elgin penalty box goes unpunished.  We march on to the title.  

Never made the trip today but sounds like a draw is not too bad a point. With Dumbarton losing and Peterhead drawing we are still a lovely 16 points ahead with one less game to go.

Thinking we could poss be short of defensive options next week if Nicky, Ben and Ross M all struglling. Do we have any other options for defence in the current squad ? 

Clyde will be on a high after beating Dumbarton, so won’t be a push over. 

Very good to get a point today in what was always going to be a very difficult game. 

I thought first half elgin where by far the better team and where playing some very good neat tidy football but stenhousemuir managed to get the lead against the run of play by a fantastic nat wedderburn header. we then conceded the penalty which was I belive was caused by edin lynch and was then sharply put away by Russel dingwall for elgins equaliser. Elgin then 10 minutes afterwards scored a well worked goal to go ahead just before half time. Second half the warriors came back into the game a bit more and eventually managed to get that equaliser by a very nice euan o'rielly finish.

I thought Anderson, nat, and euan all played well today but my motm has to go to kyle jacobs. I thought his all round game was excellent today he was winning tackles, playing nice passes and progressing the ball well and I feel he should be in the starting eleven from now on. Ben stirling did not impress however as I thought he was quite weak in headers and was quite defensively shaky, I am also still not convinced by bradley rodden.

Golding from elgin also really impressed me and I do feel he should be playing at a higher level as I though he was a constant threat for stennys back four and caused alot of problems.

All round good day out at elgin and as I have mentioned previously very good result to get that point.

Excellent point that considering Elgin should have been out of sight by half time. These lads just bite down on the gum shield though and grit it out by the latter stages of the game again we were powering on for the three points - the fittest team in the league there's no doubt.

Elgin first half were as good as any team this season. High intensity and really intelligent football. They absolutely rag dolled us all over the park. The only issue with that though is if isn't possible to do that for 90 minutes and after about an hour we took over.

As you would expect we struggled without Nicky and Meeks but what an effort from the boys. By the end of the game we had a back four including Ky at right back who was probably among our best players with Kinlay Bilham who I though was excellent.

Great day out and always nice to see the chasing jobbers do their weekly job. Cheers lads.

Edited by Neilly

35 minutes ago, true fan said:

Whats up with meechan and Jamieson?

saw Stirling subbed very early - injury I’m guessing what are options for next time if none of them are back?

Meechan and Jamieson both had knocks. Ross was named on the bench and was out warming up before the game but wasn't risked. Both should hopefully be available for next week.