Elgin City -vs- Stenhousemuir (Saturday 17 February 2024)

The biggest game in the division this weekend takes place at Borough Briggs when Elgin City entertain the league leaders Stenhousemuir. Elgin boast the second-best home record in League 2 and appear to have markedly improved under Allan Hale (left) and his canny use of the loan market. Their win at the Spartans last week is emblematic of their recent rise. Stenny, meanwhile, ground out a hard-fought point against East Fife and are slowly working their way towards the title.

This is going to be a very sticky match for the visitors. Elgin away is always a tricky fixture, regardless of form, and it's made even more difficult by their promising run of results. We'll need to be at our best if we're to win this; I wouldn't be surprised if we dropped points here. The good news is that Gregor Buchanan should return to the starting XI following his knee injury, meaning we'll be able to re-establish our regular back four - Edin Lynch will drop to the bench, Ross Meechan will move over to right-back, and Buchanan will play in the heart of defence. There were periods in the first half against East Fife where we looked a bit ragged and I think we missed Buchanan's organisation. Ross Taylor is set to miss out but other than that, we should have a full squad to pick from.

It'll be interesting to see what Gary Naysmith goes for but I'd like to see a return to this tried and tested XI:

- Matty Aitken -

- Euan O'Reilly - Matty Yates - Adam Brown -

- Mikey Anderson - Nat Wedderburn -

- Kinlay Bilham - Nicky Jamieson - Gregor Buchanan - Ross Meechan -

- Darren Jamieson -

The heart says we can win it but I think I'd be content with a point here. It's a hard place to go!

Definitely. Elgin's signings have been very clever, getting Gallagher in especially was a nice bit of business. 

Two teams on form, should be a good contest and decent game of football. Just hope the weather holds up.

Going to come down to the battle in the middle of the park and if our attacking players can impose themselves more than they have in previous games.

Easier said than done but if we can keep the press going and stop the Elgin defenders from distributing the ball, we'll have enough to take 3 points. 

Wouldn’t bet on anything in this League but feeling a bit more optimistic than I was a few weeks ago.  Won’t be much in it and could go either way. Sitting on the fence but looking forward to the game.

Should be a really good game. The 1-1 draw between the teams at BB midweek before Xmas would have got football stopped it was that boring. But I sense a completely different game this time. As much as Stenny have been amazing this season I am quietly confident of Elgin getting the result on current form. 

A lot is being made of Elgin's home record, and rightly so, but let's not forget our away record is sensational and better than their home record.

If we do the things we do well then we will win the game but everyone connected with us knows this is a tough game in store.

Hale has been a revelation at Elgin and its nice to see an unheralded name come in to the league and make an impact as opposed to the same auld dinosaurs.

I'll go for a dramatic 3-2. A late Adam Brown winner after a first half hat-trick from Matty Aitken.

1 hour ago, Neilly said:

A lot is being made of Elgin's home record, and rightly so, but let's not forget our away record is sensational and better than their home record.

If we do the things we do well then we will win the game but everyone connected with us knows this is a tough game in store.

Hale has been a revelation at Elgin and its nice to see an unheralded name come in to the league and make an impact as opposed to the same auld dinosaurs.

I'll go for a dramatic 3-2. A late Adam Brown winner after a first half hat-trick from Matty Aitken.

Own goal then?  

I'll go 2-1 Elgin

After beating Spartans last week, Stenhousemuir are the only side we are yet to record a victory against this season. With our good form and Stenny finally dropping points recently, it’s a golden opportunity to make it a full house.

I can’t see it being a high scoring affair - Stenhousemuir are a pain to try and break down so I’ll be intrigued to see what plan Hale has to crack them. 

Draw was a fair result in the end. 

Brilliant to see our response from behind. Today, Clyde and Stranraer games have helped me no longer worry when we go behind. Could have had more than two today so while you can’t complain too much about a point against the league leaders, we weren’t short of chances to win it today.

Thought Keith Bray was excellent today. Caused Stenhousemuir a lot of problems and was probably my man of the match. Cairns also taking his chance in his team - he always does, we just have great options at fullback so his time is quite limited.

Stenhousemuir’s equaliser was completely against the run of play but from that point on they looked the more likely of the two to win. 

As for the penalty decision, I’ll reserve judgement until I see a replay. If you fall in a scramble from a corner I think you’ve a good chance of getting one.