The Dons v The Hibees

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Don’t think either were pens to be honest 

Just now, MikeAFC94 said:

Devlin's wasn't given as it hit him above the shirt line. Rules are rules.

As I said, I'll need to see it again but leaning in to a cross is certainly worthy of a penalty.

Michael Stewart said it was below the shirt line. Which is another nonsense rule that has been written by some fucking lawyer.

Just now, DukDukGoose said:

As I said, I'll need to see it again but leaning in to a cross is certainly worthy of a penalty.

Michael Stewart said it was below the shirt line. Which is another nonsense rule that has been written by some fucking lawyer.

Think you’ve just decided you don’t like Nicky devlin at this point. 

His action was silly but it hits him high up, at best there’s no way of concluding it’s a handball. 

Think you’ve just decided you don’t like Nicky devlin at this point. 

His action was silly but it hits him high up, at best there’s no way of concluding it’s a handball. 

I've just defended him for the penalty he conceded against Hearts 🤣

I've always called it how I see it with players, no agenda.

I've been one of Barron's biggest supporters on here but thought he was one of the worst in red today.

Just now, MikeAFC94 said:

Barron was decent, just a bit lightweight and fell out of the game 2nd half. 

Some serious overreactions from the support today.

He was very lucky not to be punished on at least three occasions on the edge of our own box. 

The standard he's set is so high that it's noticeable when he's off it, IMO.

1 minute ago, DukDukGoose said:

He was very lucky not to be punished on at least three occasions on the edge of our own box. 

The standard he's set is so high that it's noticeable when he's off it, IMO.

He did overplay it a bit on a few occasions. 

We won't be signing a better midfielder over summer though, I'll say that much.

14 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

I've just defended him for the penalty he conceded against Hearts 🤣

I've always called it how I see it with players, no agenda.

I've been one of Barron's biggest supporters on here but thought he was one of the worst in red today.

The hearts one was frustrating but it’s a pen. You can’t say that today. I thought it was chest in real time, replay makes it look worse but only because of his weird motion with his body. Anyway I fucking hate talking about ref decisions so I’ll let you see it back. 

Mckenzie was much better today and was pleased to see life in Duk again. 

The hearts one was frustrating but it’s a pen. You can’t say that today. I thought it was chest in real time, replay makes it look worse but only because of his weird motion with his body. Anyway I fucking hate talking about ref decisions so I’ll let you see it back. 

Mckenzie was much better today and was pleased to see life in Duk again. 

MacKenzie was motm for me.

Duk was so good he had four around him at times.

2 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

As it stands, 1 win from 4 for Warnock (against Bonnyrigg), with 3 of the 4 being at home. Not overly impressive for the money he's being paid. Also a reflection on a group of players who really are consistently not producing enough. A winner either way doesn't change my view on this group of players. 

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

Not sure what you're expecting? He can't go on the pitch and do it for them.

I think the issue is that we keep being told this is such a good squad and it's under achieving so much.

It's been a list of things. From fixture congestion, to too many away games, to shape, to having a bad coach.

Now they've got an extremely highly experienced (and successful to a level) coach, and they've still not had any noteable improvement. I think it's reasonable to be a bit disappointed that an experienced coach hasn't arrested this side's habit of not winning home games against poor sides.

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

I think the issue is that we keep being told this is such a good squad and it's under achieving so much.

It's been a list of things. From fixture congestion, to too many away games, to shape, to having a bad coach.

Now they've got an extremely highly experienced (and successful to a level) coach, and they've still not had any noteable improvement. I think it's reasonable to be a bit disappointed that an experienced coach hasn't arrested this side's habit of not winning home games against poor sides.

Performances have improved, actually. Stick to your own team.

2 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Oh Vincent stop it. Tom English levels of hyperbole. 

I said on here post-Bonnyrigg that this game and Motherwell would tell us a lot about this team; whether they are actually a good team that was chronically underperforming in the league, or whether they are a typical 'there's a good team in there' team. I fear we now have our answer.

I don't think good teams concede the types of goals we are shipping with alarmingly regularity, either as a result of individual errors or collective flaws. I don't think good teams are as frantic and untidy as we are when a game is there for the taking, like today at 2-2 and Wednesday at 3-3.

It definitely wasn't all bad. Some of the passing and movement was showing improvements from where it has been, there was more evidence of coherent patterns of play, and the quality of chances we created in the first hour of the game seemed to be much better than it has been for most of the season. I know it is frowned upon on here and does not paint a full picture when used in isolation before anybody starts, but 2.38 non-penalty xG does at least suggest that we created a better quality of scoring chance than we typically have been this season, although Hibs are a bit more adventurous than some opponents. I am thinking about Clarkson hitting the bar in the first half and Gartenmann's header late on as particularly good chances spurned, and also Phillips failing to gamble on Mackenzie's excellent cross at the end. 

But it is not enough. I haven't seen them back, but the goals we lose are really rubbish ones to concede - a poor kick from Roos compounded by presumably at least one player being too slow out and playing Maolida onside for the opener, and then Devlin with a blunder at the equaliser. I can accept the odd mistake from an Aberdeen team at this level, but these have happened far too often this season, pretty much right across the team. Again, genuinely good teams don't do that. 

If these two teams were up in third and fourth respectively and just played out a draw like that, I would be frustrated that we didn't win the game but would kind of focus on the positives and accept it, but the failings are just too familiar now.

As a side note, and leaving VAR to one side, refereeing standards in this league are in the toilet. I haven't seen either penalty shout back so will not comment on those, but Munro missed two very obvious bookings in the first half, and then failed to book a Hibs player in stoppage-time for a pretty much identical challenge that he had booked Shinnie for about twenty minutes earlier. Clancy was dreadful on Wednesday, and Munro was just as bad today. We can talk about improvements to VAR all we like, but just having competent and consistent referees would be a fine start. 

Oh Vincent stop it. Tom English levels of hyperbole. 

Beneath you, imo.

The point is quite fair. I'm not saying Warnock's a disaster, he's only in the door.

Please see the posts I was replying to.

I think the wider issue is that this Aberdeen team isn't as good as people say. Robson suffered for this, and I don't think it's a massive shock they haven't kicked on since he's left. I should perhaps have worded my post better, but I think the disappointment in not picking up since is based on this inflated view of the Aberdeen team.

They're mince.

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

I've never blamed the euro games, away games or congestion. 

Rangers game doesn't count against Warnock. He said before the game that all the work for that game will be done by Leven.

Didn't see Bonnyrigg, can't comment on it but a colleague said we were poor.

Motherwell is absolutely on Warnock, but he made positive changes early doors and salvaged a draw.

Today we were the better team but two of the most experienced pros made basic errors. I'm not sure how he can be culpable for that. The performance was much better and we played some good stuff at times.