What happened to top striker partnerships?

1 hour ago, Sortmeout said:

Like the consistency of naming 3 different partnership from 3 different clubs but did Boyd and Miller not struggle in your Championship loser season? 

Oh aye their Sevco versions were pretty shite but for Rangers for a while they were brilliant together. I'd love to see how many Boyd goals Miller assisted. 

7 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Tommy Coyne and Keith Wright getting the correct amount of credit in this thread. Cobra and the Mongoose. Slightly before my time but clear that Coyne was quality when he went on to be an absolute cult hero at Motherwell as well. Not often you can get that sort of status at one club nevermind two.

As for Riordan, I always remember he tried to take a quick shot for a free kick in which Julian Speroni needed to pull off a stunning save to keep out. The referee pulled it back as he wasn't ready and Riordan then proceeded to use his other foot and dispatch the free kick right into the top corner. He was a top talent. The Leigh Griffiths 1.0 - there's a lot of similarities between the pair. Strange that Hibs have produced 3 strikers (Griffiths came through at Livi and then Dundee but still a big Hibs fan) that have absolutely wasted their careers and should have did more in the game. All 3 could've been top talents. Griffiths did have a good spell at Celtic but his career was pretty much done as he got into his 30s. Such a waste.

As for more modern Dundee pairings, Kane Hemmings and Greg Stewart is hard to look past.

Not so much a pairing but Fabian Cabalerro and Juan Sara are probably my all time favourite Dundee strikers.

Finally, the utterly bizarre link up of Willie Falconer and Claudio Caniggia.

You could add in Novo and Lovell or the wonderful Annand and Grady.

2 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Please don't tarnish Eagle and James ie alongside the beast and the woman beater.

Thank you.

I remember Frank McGarvey and Charlie Nicholas being a particularly lethal partnership at Celtic in the 80s.

Checked the stats there, in 1982/83 McGarvey scored 26 and Nicholas 48. And Celtic only won the League Cup!

I loved Moult and McDonald together. Two really genuinely good footballers as well as coming across as absolute needly p***ks towards the opposition, their teammates, and referees.

I always quite liked the way they represented two very different Motherwell eras together.

The last proper pairing I can think of was Stokes and Hooper. Stokes link up play was a bit underrated I felt by our support.

The most obvious one before that was Sutton/Larsson but Sutton was the sort of foil I think any striker would have loved to have played beside.

Edited by gannonball

10 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Or Gerry Brittain and Geordie Shaw. The classic partnership, neither anything that special but gelled, often surprisingly beautifully. Thistle supporters of a certain vintage will ken too. 

McCoist and Brogan for St Johnstone. 

1980-81 McCoist finished top scorer in the old first division as Saints missed out on promotion by goal difference.

The premier match was postponed one week so the sportscene cameras came to Perth instead on a day where McCoist scored 4 and all but sealed a move to Sunderland for £400,000.

John Brogan is a legendary goal scorer for Saints, and is involved in most of McCoist’s goals here:

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/-H4tmpq3AFo

Coyne & Wright is the correct answer. I remember when I was at school the Tully seemed to have an almost daily update on how Coyne was doing in the race for the Golden Boot. I think there was someone in the Greek or Turkish league that eventually won, but it was absolutely mental to think that someone playing for Dundee could even be in the conversation (I think he ended up 3rd overall).

After that, if it hadn't been for that DAB animal, Sara & Caballero would have been the partnership everyone would have been talking about. Those first 5 or 6 games of that season before the derby were an absolute dream.

On 18/02/2024 at 08:25, RandomGuy. said:

He was never good enough to go any higher than he did, IMO. Physically he was miles off it and technically he got more hype than he deserved because he was a waster and people started dreaming up potential that wasnt there.

A top flight career of hundreds of games for a middle of the road team, then a brief unspectacular spell at a club higher than that, with his career dwindling down to lower league mediocrity, is about right for him.

O'Connor was the bigger waste of bigger talent, and a far sadder tale, to me.

It feels as if Riordan's lack of professionalism was part of his appeal.

He didn't appear to be trying which to some audiences would make him seem cooler and fit into the "maverick genius" archetype that everyone has a weakness for and Hibs fans seem daft for

I have a theory that there's a cultural difference between the Hearts and Hibs support which means that relatively speaking we are a bit  quicker to forgive a lack of ability and they're a bit quicker to forgive a perceived lack of effort.

1 hour ago, Spikethedee said:

Coyne & Wright is the correct answer.

St Mirren put in a bid of circa £750K for both players when Tony Fitzpatrick was manager. 

Those two were a great striking partnership for Dundee. Coyne made his Dundee debut against St Mirren in a 6-3 win for the Dees. 

That was a half decent St Mirren side when you look at the players listed. Especially as they won the Scottish cup the following May without Steve Clarke.

IMG_7708.thumb.jpeg.e3f7857e191c54f2471fb596458d5059.jpeg

Edited by Molotov