Thought I would pop my head in to say "Hello" as we will more than likely be seeing you next year.

Uncle Albert

8 minutes ago, MrFizz said:

A hellish prospect. But it would present a quandary. If it were to happen, how would they deal with the Reserves? Can't demote them. Nowhere to demote them to. They would have to cease to exist. Unless both teams are allowed into the WoSFL, with the first team in the Prem and the Reserves in Div 2. 

Then again, if we drop to Tier 6 the likelihood is that the Reserves will become the first team anyway as we wouldn't be able to afford to bus in a team every week. 

What interesting times we live in.

Can 2 teams from same club exist in the league, would need to check SOSFL constitution.

I think the WOSFL wouldn't be an option; Stranraer would effectively need to do a Threave and resign from the SOS and join at bottom of WOS if even voted in.

Even in Galloway, Stranraer is quite isolated from the rest of us; can take me over an hour to get there from the Stewartry.

So would players at existing SOSFL clubs even be able to sign on at Stair's?

Of course defeat the EK Galacticos and its all good.

18 minutes ago, MrFizz said:

A hellish prospect. But it would present a quandary. If it were to happen, how would they deal with the Reserves? Can't demote them. Nowhere to demote them to. They would have to cease to exist. Unless both teams are allowed into the WoSFL, with the first team in the Prem and the Reserves in Div 2. 

Then again, if we drop to Tier 6 the likelihood is that the Reserves will become the first team anyway as we wouldn't be able to afford to bus in a team every week. 

What interesting times we live in.

As far as i'm aware none of the Reserves in the pyramid are on paper as separate from the First team, in the way that the B teams are.

It's simply a case that Stranraer are a member of the SPFL and SoSFL. If they were to be relegated from the Lowland it'd be seamless, just one less team in the pyramid. It's more of an issue if Stranraer tried to get into the WoSFL.

A similar case with Stirling University. Which would be more noticeable. If they were to be relegated to the EoSFL the 2nd XI on paper folds impacting the numbers in the Second Division, unless they've changed their rules.

2 minutes ago, To B or not B said:

I would be surprised if Stranraer ran a reserve team in the SoSFL in the event of relegation to the LL, purely for financial reasons.

When it was brought up a while back in the Stranraer thread. Someone said that the club only put in £3k a season. It was largely self-funded. It's not something i'd expect to last more for the combination of costs and cannibalising the team for squad depth as recruitment practices will change.

27 minutes ago, To B or not B said:

I would be surprised if Stranraer ran a reserve team in the SoSFL in the event of relegation to the LL, purely for financial reasons.

If anything going down will give them more incentive to grow a good young team, so a 2nd team in the South isn't a bad thing

7 hours ago, Spyro said:

If anything going down will give them more incentive to grow a good young team, so a 2nd team in the South isn't a bad thing

But where are these good young players coming from. Most in the West of Galloway end up at Wigtown, Newton Stewart and Creetown who all have proven experience bringing on and nurturing the youth in Wigtonshire.

If Stranraer lose the play off it could be hard times ahead, not just for them but the SOS team who are basically amateurs.

Just popped in to eat humble pie here.

As has been said, when I started this post back in the dim and distant past we were 8 points adrift at the foot of League 2, respect to Mr McCall, Mr Maitland, our support and the players who have all helped in pulling off the great escape.

25 minutes ago, GallowayBlue said:

If Stranraer do end up in this league can we get rid of the B Teams please?

The only aspect of relegation that gives me dread.

The proposal for B teams in the league 2 years guaranteed, and the potential of a 3rd, gets voted on at the AGM I believe. If Stranraer's there they should get to vote on it. Otherwise its too late. As the vote was something like 8-7 with Gretna 2008 not voting. Could maybe see it fail. Doubt it though. The clubs and LL are no doubt budgeting for that money coming in.

34 minutes ago, GallowayBlue said:

Why does it give you dread?  The B teams get decent crowds and will attract a few to your home games.  The likes of Broomhill and Braves are the ones that should be giving you the dread.

52 minutes ago, GallowayBlue said:

Amen to that.

20 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The proposal for B teams in the league 2 years guaranteed, and the potential of a 3rd, gets voted on at the AGM I believe. If Stranraer's there they should get to vote on it. Otherwise its too late. As the vote was something like 8-7 with Gretna 2008 not voting. Could maybe see it fail. Doubt it though. The clubs and LL are no doubt budgeting for that money coming in.

I think it’s already passed and agreed, as far as I am aware there are no plans for the clubs to vote on it at the AGM?

7 minutes ago, To B or not B said:

I think it’s already passed and agreed, as far as I am aware there are no plans for the clubs to vote on it at the AGM?

B teams voted through already for 2 seasons plus an option for a third if they wish - there is no further vote on the cards 

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Why does it give you dread?  The B teams get decent crowds and will attract a few to your home games.  The likes of Broomhill and Braves are the ones that should be giving you the dread.

I mean one of the positives about supporting a lower league team to me is that you can avoid all of the toxicity that goes with either of those teams.

With Stranraer being 90% Old Firm fans I'm sure the glory hunters will be looking for a good day out until the novelty quickly wears off.

That in itself is a major turn off to me. If there's even a whiff of hateful singing or locals putting down Stranraer fans when they're losing to a reserve team then that's not for me.

That's before you consider the inconsistent squad selections that I've read about.

Edit - this was me assuming that both teams will be back in the league next year, is that correct or are Rangers still in the huff?

Edited by GallowayBlue

38 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I would be very confident that the current board would vote for it anyway so won't make much difference.

2 minutes ago, GallowayBlue said:

I mean one of the positives about supporting a lower league team to me is that you can avoid all of the toxicity that goes with either of those teams.

With Stranraer being 90% Old Firm fans I'm sure the glory hunters will be looking for a good day out until the novelty quickly wears off.

That in itself is a major turn off to me. If there's even a whiff of hateful singing or locals putting down Stranraer fans when they're losing to a reserve team then that's not for me.

That's before you consider the inconsistent squad selections that I've read about.

Edit - this was me assuming that both teams will be back in the league next year, is that correct or are Rangers still in the huff?

This is spot on, well summarised.

49 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

You also need to take into account the extra cost of policing these games

38 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Away supports for the B teams are minimal doubt you would need extra on any police.

1 hour ago, GallowayBlue said:

You're making a lot of wrong assumptions there.  Rangers B are not in the league and there's no singing at Celtic or Hearts B games that I've heard (there's hardly any at any LL games).   Squad selections are pretty consistent.

58 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

I don't think you'll need to worry too much about policing games in the LL, unless the Stanraer locals get a bit lairy.