Artificial pitch vote

47 minutes ago, jasperellon said:

I would guess that due to the pissing rain there would have been a chance the game would have been called off if played on grass. 

I also imagine you knew that already but thought your comment would be fucking hilarious…..it wasn’t 

Mematic_20240524_110844.jpg

2 hours ago, arabdelic said:

The point is there are different types of artificial surfaces, some better than others, therefore if we are to have artificial surfaces in the top league in Scotland then the standard should be set with the better pitches not a low bar where we have an assortment of surfaces with degrees of playability.  I suspect in the future as technology improves this discussion will become academic as the pitches will be to a high standard but until then there needs to more scrutiny and clarity on what is acceptable artificial surface in the top league.  

The pitches laid in the last 10 years or so, even in non-league, comply with UEFA standards.

On 13/03/2024 at 17:22, Steve McQueen said:

Do they have to be green, always looks fake & washed out. Lets get some different colours going.

crop.jpg

Sure-fire way of getting plastic pitches approved is to allow the dafties to play on a blue pitch*

(*Rather than Kentucky Blue)

4 minutes ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Sure-fire way of getting plastic pitches approved is to allow the dafties to play on a blue pitch*

(*Rather than Kentucky Blue)

A statement from The Rangers - we decided to choose the colour orange for our turf in recognition of the work Dick Advocaat done at the club

31 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

A statement from The Rangers - we decided to choose the colour orange for our turf in recognition of the work Dick Advocaat done at the club

If that was the case, they'd cover the pitch with badly frayed mirkins.

On 24/05/2024 at 09:21, craigkillie said:

There are already standards in place for artificial pitches.

On 24/05/2024 at 09:27, LiviLion said:

No idea how many times this needs said, swear it's had to be pointed out about twice on each page of this thread.

It's up there with the amount of times you have to tell them there is no suh thing as an all weather pitch.

On 24/05/2024 at 10:01, arabdelic said:

The point is there are different types of artificial surfaces, some better than others, therefore if we are to have artificial surfaces in the top league in Scotland then the standard should be set with the better pitches not a low bar where we have an assortment of surfaces with degrees of playability.  I suspect in the future as technology improves this discussion will become academic as the pitches will be to a high standard but until then there needs to more scrutiny and clarity on what is acceptable artificial surface in the top league.  

On 24/05/2024 at 12:09, Sergeant Wilson said:

The pitches laid in the last 10 years or so, even in non-league, comply with UEFA standards.

For parity SPFL Premiership grass pitches should be held to the same scrutiny, and required to pass a certain standard. Wont hold my breath on them having a vote on that though, and anyone not making the grass pitch grade forced to rip their pitch up and relay it with a quality grass one.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

It's up there with the amount of times you have to tell them there is no suh thing as an all weather pitch.

For parity SPFL Premiership grass pitches should be held to the same scrutiny, and required to pass a certain standard. Wont hold my breath on them having a vote on that though, and anyone not making the grass pitch grade forced to rip their pitch up and relay it with a quality grass one.

It is a pity your tin pot club couldn’t maintain your pitch properly and maybe we wouldnt be in this farcical place 

Edited by BPM

29 minutes ago, BPM said:

It is a pity your tin pot club couldn’t maintain your pitch properly and maybe we wouldnt be in this farcical place 

Except it has passed all required checks.

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

So did ours the season before last but it in reality we took too long the change it. The surface ourselves, Airdrie and QOS have are way better than most grass pitches between Jan and April. 

2 minutes ago, Booker-T said:

Sorry if already covered, what about “Hybrid” pitches?

A hybrid pitch is grass to all intents and purposes. You couldn't tell the difference walking on it. It just uses artificial components to strengthen the surface.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

A hybrid pitch is grass to all intents and purposes. You couldn't tell the difference walking on it. It just uses artificial components to strengthen the surface.

Thank you 

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Which says more about “all required checks” than it does about the quality of plastic pitches. I’m not against them per se if some of these other teams pitches are widely regarded as decent, but there is no doubting that Livi’s pitch is an absolute midden. 

On 24/05/2024 at 09:05, arabdelic said:

Your placings are irrelevant. As teams can be good or crap and go up and down tables.

Its the home to away ratio for the same team that tells a story. Last season it was undoubtedly Killie's home record that prevented them from being relegated. 

Home 

W 9 D 5 L5 PTS 32

Away

W 2 D5 L15 PTS 08

This season you have improved the ratio of away points but are still one of the 3 clubs who had the lowest away to home points ratio, the other 2 being Livingston and Ross County. For clarity the 2 clubs who have artificial pitches in Premiership are both in top 3 for home advantage points.

Artificial pitches have a place in Scotland. The debate is whether they should be in the top league. The season after next with Killie going back to grass, depending on who is promoted, there could naturally be no artificial surfaces in the top league. The compromise could be standards with artificial pitches as clearly they are not all the same.

You know we improved that ratio by getting better players?

I assume you've gone back through all of the seasons I've listed and done the same comparison. A quick look shows that in the Championship, we only got 7 more points at home than we did away.

I assume you're going to take Rangers and Celtic out of those stats, since they win almost all of their games anyway.

I assume you've eliminated all of the other variables, like quality of player, quality of manager etc.

If you've watched football for more than an afternoon you will be aware of something known as 'home advantage', which exists, and is independent of playing surface.

As for artificial surfaces not all being the same, neither are grass ones.

Posted (edited)

I'd rather games were played on a plastic pitch every week if the alternative is Dens park. Teams cutting corners and redeploying money needed for the pitch into the team in order to achieve their wee targets such as top-6 or staying in the league will become more frequent. Dundee FC are a good example of that.

If a team isn't able to do that then they shouldn't be allowed in the top league or if enough of the teams can't do that then artificial pitches should be allowed IMO.

Edited by 2426255

11 hours ago, Scooby_Doo said:

You know we improved that ratio by getting better players?

I assume you've gone back through all of the seasons I've listed and done the same comparison. A quick look shows that in the Championship, we only got 7 more points at home than we did away.

I assume you're going to take Rangers and Celtic out of those stats, since they win almost all of their games anyway.

I assume you've eliminated all of the other variables, like quality of player, quality of manager etc.

If you've watched football for more than an afternoon you will be aware of something known as 'home advantage', which exists, and is independent of playing surface.

As for artificial surfaces not all being the same, neither are grass ones.

The fact is last season your home form was good , your away form was atrocious , one of the worst in livings memory losing 15 out of 19 away games.  A huge contrast between home and away. Improving ratio by getting better players doesn't support your point. Quite the contrary it illustrates this season you have been able to compete better away from home so the gulf between home and away points has reduced. 

Next season 11 of the 12 teams in Premiership will have grass surfaces and Killie plan to revert back to grass thankfully. If artificial surfaces are so good as posters on this thread say they are then and some even saying they are better than grass surfaces surely all the big clubs would be using them, indeed all the elite clubs around the world would be ripping up their grass surfaces if that was the case.

The reality is they are economical for smaller clubs who can get more use out of them and can be used by the local community. It makes sense. Whether they should be a standard feature at the top level is a different debate. A few have brought up Dundee's grass pitch. it should be noted that Dundee have been given a hefty fine for not keeping their pitch in good condition with a perfectly good surface literally a minute walk away. 

On 24/05/2024 at 09:54, arabdelic said:

But it is clear they are not all the same. Even comments from supporters of artificial pitches on this thread are saying their pitch is x is better than y etc. So what is defined as a decent artificial pitch needs to be addressed. But if people are going to be tone deaf  about those who don't like artificial pitches you will end up with no compromise and the Premiership clubs voting in a ban. it seems some in this debate are being as arrogant and bloody minded as those they are opposing. I personally hate them but I see and agreed compromise as a way forward.

On 25/05/2024 at 19:25, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Which says more about “all required checks” than it does about the quality of plastic pitches. I’m not against them per se if some of these other teams pitches are widely regarded as decent, but there is no doubting that Livi’s pitch is an absolute midden. 

Livi's pitch not only meets the criteria required for European football but also the highest grade of pitch rating from FIFA