Artificial pitch vote

1 hour ago, Harry Kinnear said:

So you think the other clubs in the top flight are going to vote against the Old Firm, that’s interesting.

Clubs vote against the Old Firm all the time.

37 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I might be wrong here but haven’t St Mirren in the past ever had Rangers/Celtic fans in the stands at both ends of the ground. As I say I could be wrong.

We did have for 3 seasons. As a fan base we voted for it (in same way artificial pitch issue was voted on) going back to just one stand at the start of 22/23 season.

Which caused absolutely no end of fucking hilarious meltdowns among Rangers and Celtic supporters.

Which is why the 'St Mirren fans are OF lickspittles' views deserve to be roundly laughed at.

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

We did have for 3 seasons. As a fan base we voted for it (in same way artificial pitch issue was voted on) going back to just one stand at the start of 22/23 season.

Which caused absolutely no end of fucking hilarious meltdowns among Rangers and Celtic supporters.

Which is why the 'St Mirren fans are OF lickspittles' views deserve to be roundly laughed at.

We used to give them the North Stand and a section of the Main. I think now with us being fan owned,  should the day ever arrive that we get back up then I can’t see that happening now, they would just get the North.

45 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Some clubs have given over much much more seat capacity in one stand than we did with two.
Incredibly some clubs have handed over three stands to the OF. Yet they are quick to criticise our club. Weirdos.

Best vote we had ever was to limit the OF to one stand. Ideally we’d give them nothing at all or restrict their allocation like Hearts have done.

42 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

We used to give them the North Stand and a section of the Main. I think now with us being fan owned,  should the day ever arrive that we get back up then I can’t see that happening now, they would just get the North.

Ideally you keep them to one stand.

Did you not have a wee temporary stand across from the main stand?. Stick them in there.

3 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

So you think the other clubs in the top flight are going to vote against the Old Firm, that’s interesting.

are you forgetting a certain vote back in 2012?

1 hour ago, Molotov said:

Ideally you keep them to one stand.

Did you not have a wee temporary stand across from the main stand?. Stick them in there.

Don’t have that any more.  Ideally we need to build something on that side but where we’ve been the past 5 years we hardly needed an away stand never mind a 4th stand. Hopefully it will happen sometime in the future, would love to see an element of safe standing there.

3 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Celtic had the whole stadium. They hired it. They were beaming PPV coverage of their friendly to their fans around the globe. There were Celtic graphics on the dugouts, the tunnel, they would have been using our bigger home dressing room. They did something with the shop signage that hadn’t been sanctioned by the St Mirren BoD and it was whipped down quick smartish. Not before a photo was taken. The shop, sans singage, was still selling Celtic merch’…

They. Hired. The. Entire. Stadium. 

Not one single St Mirren fan I know was happy with the optics of a Celtic sign being brazenly affixed over ours, but this ‘Celtic shop at your own stadium’ story still being trotted out when the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, and Celtic Park playing a big part in those, is now in the distant past, is laughable. How many times can anyone say it. They hired the entire stadium, shop included. Lavvies. Car parks. Pie stalls…. 

We didn’t like the signage. We never did. It was a minter. Hiring out the stadium in a win-win situation for St Mirren, Celtic, and Scotland’s Commonwealth Games was never, and never will be, anything to be ashamed about.

There was really no need for this reply.

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Cracking fun watching a select few Falkirk supporters dragging themselves out of the depths of the seaside forums for the first time in f**k knows how many years just to make a rip-roaring arse of themselves.

You love to see it.

I'll be honest, I didn't even know Falkirk played on plastic until they (and it seems they alone) took particular umbrage with a vote we've made as if it's against them in particular, when the reality is that they are an irrelevance who appear to have been run to a hilariously inept level for years.

Falkirk and their glory run to *checks notes* the League 1 championship hasn't even registered with us as we've never suffered the indignity of a single season in the third tier of Scottish football, much less *back to the notes*...five on the spin?! :lol:

Leaving all your not bothered bluster aside, none of your compadres have come up with any compelling, nay, valid, reasons for doing away with artificial pitches.

Can you help them out?

39 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Leaving all your not bothered bluster aside, none of your compadres have come up with any compelling, nay, valid, reasons for doing away with artificial pitches.

Can you help them out?

Nope.

I don't give a shit either way, so I didn't vote on the issue when it was put to me as part of the email vote.

Others clearly do give a shit though and voted overwhelmingly that they wouldn't like it as an option in the top flight going forward. If I had to guess though, it's probably because historically we (St. Mirren, not Rangers or Celtic) typically perform absolutely shite on artificial surfaces and have done so for years. We regularly dread going to Hamilton, Livi, Killie etc. Nothing more sinister than that.

Fan ownership in action. Democracy manifest. (Succulent Chinese meal.)

Our fan ownership model is not beholden to explaining itself to fans of a team going tonto over a vote that purely affects top flight sides given your team haven't had a top flight season in about 15 years and for all we know, may not for another 15.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

If I had to guess though, it's probably because historically we (St. Mirren, not Rangers or Celtic) typically perform absolutely shite on artificial surfaces and have done so for years. We regularly dread going to Hamilton, Livi, Killie etc. Nothing more sinister than that.

With absolutely nothing better or more exciting to do I thought I'd have a look at your away form (W-D-L) the last few seasons, mainly because my first instinct was along the lines of 'aren't St Mirren just a bit shite away from home' and didn't want to just be talking shite.

2023/24: 5-4-10 (0-2-2 on plastic, 1-0-2 at home to those teams)
2022/23: 3-5-11 (0-2-0 on plastic, 2-1-1 at home to those teams)
2021/22: 6-6-7 (1-1-0 on plastic, 0-2-0 at home)
2020/21: 7-4-8 (2-3-0 on plastic, 2-2-1 at home)

An average of 1.38 points a game works out roughly the same as the home games (1.43) and is actually better than your overall away form over those seasons (1.07), doesn't seem like St Mirren play particularly poorly on plastic?

With this new information though I'd actually like to change my mind and vote to ban these artificial surfaces, on the grounds that they give St Mirren a clear unfair advantage. Now to find something else to procrastinate from "work"

*If any of those numbers are wrong I hold the internet responsible and will not back down

Edited by LiviLion

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

With absolutely nothing better or more exciting to do I thought I'd have a look at your away form (W-D-L) the last few seasons, mainly because my first instinct was along the lines of 'aren't St Mirren just a bit shite away from home' and didn't want to just be talking shite.

2023/24: 5-4-10 (0-2-2 on plastic, 1-0-2 at home to those teams)
2022/23: 3-5-11 (0-2-0 on plastic, 2-1-1 at home to those teams)
2021/22: 4-8-7 (1-1-0 on plastic, 0-2-0 at home)
2020/21: 4-8-7 (2-3-0 on plastic, 2-2-1 at home)

An average of 1.38 points a game works out roughly the same as the home games (1.43) and is actually better than your overall away form over those seasons (0.96), doesn't seem like St Mirren play particularly poorly on plastic?

With this new information though I'd actually like to change my mind and vote to ban these artificial surfaces, on the grounds that they give St Mirren a clear unfair advantage. Now to find something else to procrastinate from "work"

*If any of those numbers are wrong I hold the internet responsible and will not back down

I love posts like this. They base themselves on the hope that no one else will be sad enough to waste their precious time checking your figures. I am most definitely in that category. 🤣

Out of curiosity (and the aforementioned pure bone idleness), could you give me the details of the 2-3-0 season? I’m very impressed by that as I too thought we were permashite on plastic. 

ETA I gave you a greenie for your efforts 👍

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Nope.

I don't give a shit either way, so I didn't vote on the issue when it was put to me as part of the email vote.

Others clearly do give a shit though and voted overwhelmingly that they wouldn't like it as an option in the top flight going forward. If I had to guess though, it's probably because historically we (St. Mirren, not Rangers or Celtic) typically perform absolutely shite on artificial surfaces and have done so for years. We regularly dread going to Hamilton, Livi, Killie etc. Nothing more sinister than that.

Fan ownership in action. Democracy manifest. (Succulent Chinese meal.)

Our fan ownership model is not beholden to explaining itself to fans of a team going tonto over a vote that purely affects top flight sides given your team haven't had a top flight season in about 15 years and for all we know, may not for another 15.

Thank you for your answer, but there was no need for the rather poor, sourminded finish to it. Bear in mind Accies were another of the 6 signatories of the statement, and they were in the top flight much more recently than 15 years ago.

Nobody is questioning your model of ownership, but with such an overwhelming majority, you'd think some people would at least have clear and logical reasons for voting for it. Obviously not.

5 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I might be wrong here but haven’t St Mirren in the past ever had Rangers/Celtic fans in the stands at both ends of the ground. As I say I could be wrong.

Arguably we have had them in all 4 stands last season when their fans bought tickets for the 3 home ends as invariably matches against the OF are not as attractive as against every other side in the division. 

Our largest attendances at our new stadium DO NOT tend to have the OF near top of the list. 

Games against Kilmarnock, Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs and Dundee (or United) are more often played to greater attendances. For some reason the Motherwell attendances were lower this season.

IMG_0397.thumb.jpeg.53c7f7f492f02722dfdaa3cb6a90dee8.jpeg

IMG_0398.thumb.jpeg.ce892821a79a94e2cc8a4507c379181e.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Thank you for your answer, but there was no need for the rather poor, sourminded finish to it.

A quick sift through the Falkirk thread and the tone of some of the posts there over the last 48 hours suggests otherwise.

3 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Don’t have that any more.  Ideally we need to build something on that side but where we’ve been the past 5 years we hardly needed an away stand never mind a 4th stand. Hopefully it will happen sometime in the future, would love to see an element of safe standing there.

Fcuk it. Pitch a tent for the bigot brothers.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

A quick sift through the Falkirk thread and the tone of some of the posts there over the last 48 hours suggests otherwise.

Fair to say we are extremely angry, and frankly cannot see any logic to this at all. None.