Artificial pitch vote

1 hour ago, virginton said:

What 'point' is being missed exactly? 

The idea that Raith or other clubs invested in an artificial surface for the sake of the community is utter revisionism. Their Walter Mitty backer did so explicitly to raise more revenue to throw at their large squad of utter mercenaries. 

It is the prospect of not getting that first team playing in the top flight that provokes their genuine anger; not the plight of the 'community' groups who will all be thrown overboard without the slightest hesitation if it secures the professional men's team promotion. 

Given that those future funds are guaranteed and demonstrable, a football club can secure credit to make the required changes in the meantime. 

No such 'transition payments' (read: bribes to stop complaining about it) were awarded for previous clubs to make far more significant changes to meet stadium criteria. Somehow almost all of them managed to get the job done when their top flight status depended on it. 

The point is, the pitches are a multi year investment, and within the rules. For some teams, it's the difference between survival and going Sevco. For the rules to change in the middle of that is one thing, sometimes that's business, but in this case there is no, and I have to re-emphasise that, NO reasoning given. And the response to that loss of investment? Take out a loan? That should send that team straight back down again. Job done, I suppose, since that's the point of the ban.

The SPFL have given no reasoning for this, and the general opinion seems to be that they don't 'look' great. Therefore, in that vein, I propose a ban next season on Championship teams fielding ex-Killie players. I mean, it will affect some teams more than others (Morton appear to have eight), and employment law means you'll still need to pay them, but that's what you get for flinging money at them. You can always borrow money for new players.

My reasoning is the same btw, I don't like how Kirk Broadfoot looks.

5 hours ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Raith Rovers could have been promoted last weekend and the first round of league Cup fixtures are 13th June. That's only about 6 weeks. Impossible to get a grass pitch in that time period. Be lucky to get a contractor on board in that time.

I'm no pitch expert so I'm not sure how much of the infrastructure (drainage etc) under an artificial pitch can be re-used for a grass pitch but it is certainly possible to go from zero to a perfect grass pitch in that timescale.

This is Dundee's pitch as at May 17th and they are playing in the League Cup group stage. And in their case in particular you'd hope that this work includes a new drainage system!

dundee.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Div said:

I'm no pitch expert so I'm not sure how much of the infrastructure (drainage etc) under an artificial pitch can be re-used for a grass pitch but it is certainly possible to go from zero to a perfect grass pitch in that timescale.

This is Dundee's pitch as at May 17th and they are playing in the League Cup group stage. And in their case in particular you'd hope that this work includes a new drainage system!

Dundee were in a position to start placing orders for a contractor in March.

5 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Dundee were in a position to start placing orders for a contractor in March.

Yes of course. I'd think teams competing for the Championship title would need to have contractors lined up ready to go but accept these guys aren't going to be sitting around waiting on a call.

This season at least it won't be a problem, as the ban doesn't come into place until the season after.

51 minutes ago, Div said:

dundee.jpeg

We played at Dens on May 18th and I can assure you the pitch had grass on it that day

7 hours ago, paul wright scores said:

We played at Dens on May 18th and I can assure you the pitch had grass on it that day

Aye, how much though and was it real grass, rather than the clumps of green stuff I used to have in my garden?

8 hours ago, paul wright scores said:

Oops, that pic was actually Dens last Summer which, given what then unfolded the folllowing season, is hardly a ringing endorsement 😂

Here’s St.Mirren’s pitch 23rd May.

Although Saints aren’t in League Cup group stages this season they are due to host a Europa Conference game as early as July 25th.

IMG_9870.jpeg

Motherwell used the pitch for lots of community and youth team events after the season finished. The actual renovation only started at the end of last week and will be ready for the league cup group stages. It takes much less work year on year when the necessary amounts are spent in the first place.

Would enjoy seeing a club with an artificial pitch gaining promotion in the next few seasons then challenging this nonsense. We all know the SPFL rules can be far from water-tight.

https://www.killiefc.com/history/rugby-park

on Nov 13th 2023: Killie  announced that they are aiming to revert back to a grass pitch at Rugby Park for the start of the 2025-26 season  Killie installed a new playing surface at Rugby Park in time for the 2019-20 season, having initially switched to artificial grass in the summer of 2014.
This is contingent on the proposed Bowie Park training facility being granted planning permission so work can begin in the spring. The facility would be located between Kilmarnock and Crookedholm. 

Are Killie planning to just roll up the existing pitch stick it on a lorry and roll it out again at Bowie Park

3 hours ago, lanky_ffc said:

Would enjoy seeing a club with an artificial pitch gaining promotion in the next few seasons then challenging this nonsense. We all know the SPFL rules can be far from water-tight.

I remember the Hertz fans telling us something similar in 2020!

20 hours ago, Scooby_Doo said:

The point is, the pitches are a multi year investment, and within the rules. For some teams, it's the difference between survival and going Sevco.

Which clubs are at risk of going into administration as a result of this decision? Be extremely specific.

For the rules to change in the middle of that is one thing, sometimes that's business, but in this case there is no, and I have to re-emphasise that, NO reasoning given. And the response to that loss of investment? Take out a loan? That should send that team straight back down again. Job done, I suppose, since that's the point of the ban.

For the rules to change in the middle of... what? Should rules never be changed by an organisation because some interested party may be impacted?

The SPFL have given no reasoning for this, and the general opinion seems to be that they don't 'look' great. Therefore, in that vein, I propose a ban next season on Championship teams fielding ex-Killie players. I mean, it will affect some teams more than others (Morton appear to have eight), and employment law means you'll still need to pay them, but that's what you get for flinging money at them. You can always borrow money for new players.

My reasoning is the same btw, I don't like how Kirk Broadfoot looks.

^^^ drooling nonsense 

On 02/06/2024 at 11:51, Div said:

Having agreed to ban the artificial pitches in the top flight, and undertaking to set a high standard for the grass pitches in use in the Premiership the SPFL now need to outline what support is going to be given to promoted clubs who need to transition, and also what the criteria and penalties will be for failing to maintain the grass pitches at the required level.

The passing of the resolution on Friday was surely only the first step in this initiative?

The resolution will be the only step in this initiative.

10 hours ago, lanky_ffc said:

As long as your astro was laid by Douglas Park, you should be fine

12 hours ago, lanky_ffc said:

More fun would be someone challenging the hybrid pitches at Parkhead, Ibrox, Tynecastle, and Easter Road as not complying with the regulation just passed, and watching the scramble. Most fun would be the four highest ranked Championship teams that play on grass get elevated to replace those four and seeing Celtic, Rangers, Hibs and Hearts play in the Championship. Any bets promotion rules would be changed?

On 02/06/2024 at 11:51, Div said:

Having agreed to ban the artificial pitches in the top flight, and undertaking to set a high standard for the grass pitches in use in the Premiership the SPFL now need to outline what support is going to be given to promoted clubs who need to transition, and also what the criteria and penalties will be for failing to maintain the grass pitches at the required level.

The passing of the resolution on Friday was surely only the first step in this initiative?

Sure. Although that should have been a part of the entire vote.