Artificial pitch vote

26 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Anyone sticking up for plastic pitches need a hard look at themselves. Especially those fans whose teams don’t actually have a plastic pitch. Livi and Killie fans I can almost understand. The rest….come on….taking the Michael.

Plastic pitches are good for training and only that. And if you play all year round in - 20 degrees. 

Surely no one can deny it's given Killie and Livi an advantage over other teams? Imagine having to use a shite pitch to prevent the opposition rather than playing better yourselves.

I watch some of the Raith game today, after 20mins i turned over to the Dundee U game for the simple reason i couldn't look at that pitch anymore. It was hurting my eyes.

If Saint even brought 1 in, i would stop going even after suffering them for 55yrs.

27 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Anyone sticking up for plastic pitches need a hard look at themselves. Especially those fans whose teams don’t actually have a plastic pitch. Livi and Killie fans I can almost understand. The rest….come on….taking the Michael.

Plastic pitches are good for training and only that. And if you play all year round in - 20 degrees. 

As has been stated before, the pitch at both Raith and Airdrie are great. The grass pitch at St Johnstone is crap. Our grass pitch has gone through whole seasons of being a disgrace. Your argument in favour of yours is mainly based on sunken cost fallacy.

The arguments in favour of plastic are well thought out and reasoned. The arguments against it are largely nonsense or based on aesthetics.

16 minutes ago, GroundHoppingBear said:

You might see a good game now and again, but very very rarely a good quality one. There's a difference.

I'd argue I'd very rarely see a "good quality" game in Scotland on any surface.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

I'd argue I'd very rarely see a "good quality" game in Scotland on any surface.

That's because you support Hamilton.

32 minutes ago, Scooby_Doo said:

What was the first plastic pitch in the Premier League? Hamilton? When was that installed? If it was such a disgrace something would have been done by now

Dunfermline was it not? In 2003. We installed a grass pitch before the 08/09 season. I don't think we did so because we couldn't have an artificial surface in the SPL, but rather the rules explicitly stated we had to have USH which would have involved digging it up anyway.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

My defence is not about the pitch, its about the attempts to prevent clubs getting promoted. Its a general rule that community clubs/poorer clubs will look to plastic due to the upsides, so banning them from the top flight is actively seeking to punish these clubs and keep the "richer/bigger" clubs in the top flight even if they have a poor season.

32 minutes ago, velo army said:

Your argument in favour of yours is mainly based on sunken cost fallacy.

Motherwell dont have a grass pitch.

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

Centigrade or Fahrenheit?

Is that minus sign part of the calculation?

2 hours ago, GroundHoppingBear said:

Surely no one can deny it's given Killie and Livi an advantage over other teams?

See by no-one, do you mean everyone?

Here are Kilmarnock's league placings since installing the 'magic' carpet in 2014:

14/15 10th
15/16 11th
16/17 8th
17/18 5th
18/19 3rd
19/20 8th
20/21 11th (Relegated via the play off)
21/22 1st Championship
22/23 10th

Admittedly, in the seasons we finished 5th and 3rd we did have the massively unfair advantage of having a fucking great manager. If you take those outliers out, it has been of no advantage at all.

10 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Granted, but clubs that have them will likely base youth academies, training etc on them. After they get relegated then finding the cash to re-instate an artificial pitch / alternative facilities could be prohibitive.

This vote is to deter these clubs from promotion.

What clubs outside of the Premiership operate youth academies worthy of the name, that would be in any way impacted by a ban on the surface that a professional football team plays on? Are there no artificial surfaces in the surrounding area that they could possibly use as a home base instead? 

Just like your ridiculous claim that a ban would have the equivalent impact on Scottish football clubs as the 10,000 seater rule, this is demonstrably obvious horseshit to cover for the reality that a particular club in South Lanarkshire would be impacted. And that's about it in terms of your crossover between concern about youth academy football and clubs trying to clamber into the top flight.

I'm not currently in favour of banning artificial pitches, but the nature of the ludicrous special pleading has me thinking twice about that. 

33 minutes ago, virginton said:

Are there no artificial surfaces in the surrounding area that they could possibly use as a home base instead? 

I'm sure there will be, but at a cost.

33 minutes ago, virginton said:

This is demonstrably obvious horseshit to cover for the reality that a particular club in South Lanarkshire would be impacted. And that's about it in terms of your crossover between concern about youth academy football and clubs trying to clamber into the top flight.

We already have a plan to replace our artificial surface with a grass pitch and relocate the youth academy to the home of a local WoSFL side.

Swing and a miss, Champ.

The Netherlands - artificial pitch stance……
They have been incredibly successful as a country at national football tournaments compared to our nation. 

The highest level of men’s professional soccer in the Netherlands has opted to outlaw synthetic turf fields by the start of the 2025-26 season.

The governing body of the Eredivisie voted in conjunction with the 18 teams currently in the league earlier this year to move to either natural or hybrid playing surfaces.

While a few teams in the Eredivisie already play on real grass, those that do not have two years to make the transition. Furthermore, any team that plays in the lower tiers of Dutch professional soccer must switch to natural or hybrid pitches should they get promoted to the top league.

A 2016 study by the Nederlandse Omroep Stichting, a broadcasting organization in the Netherlands, warned that the rubber fields it surveyed contained up to six times the amount of cancer-causing compounds permitted in consumer products. In the United States, the material has been linked to at least six deaths of baseball players.

Artificial grass also typically contains forever chemicals known as per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) that can lead to severe health conditions such as developmental effects in children and some types of cancer, per the Environmental Protection Agency.

The hazards of synthetic fields extend to the environment, as the plastic grass and rubber can leach microplastics and PFAS that pollute water systems.

https://news.yahoo.com/prominent-soccer-league-bans-problematic-063000318.html#:~:text=The highest level of men's,of the 2025-26 season.

Edited by Molotov
Edited as I can’t count 😂

2 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Another country of similar population size to us is The Netherlands. 

What?

I assume by he thinks similar is equivalent to 3.5x which is bizarre. 

And if we are comparing to the Netherlands, then a payment from european prize money will need to be introduced too.  If those clubs(especially the big 2) playing in Europe want plastic pitches gone badly enough that they'll pay out then we can have a discussion. If not STFU.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

What?

Oops 🙊 . Bunch of shaggers - just seen their population is 17M. f**k! 
Apologies for some reason I thought they were only around 5M. Auld age is a b*****d. 😂 

1 hour ago, Scooby_Doo said:

See by no-one, do you mean everyone?

Here are Kilmarnock's league placings since installing the 'magic' carpet in 2014:

14/15 10th
15/16 11th
16/17 8th
17/18 5th
18/19 3rd
19/20 8th
20/21 11th (Relegated via the play off)
21/22 1st Championship
22/23 10th

Admittedly, in the seasons we finished 5th and 3rd we did have the massively unfair advantage of having a fucking great manager. If you take those outliers out, it has been of no advantage at all.

Ahh, remember the seasons we came 5th and 3rd we were pretty successful against the old firm which isn’t allowed by the Scottish media.

21 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'm sure there will be, but at a cost.

If you're running a youth academy of any serious nature below the top flight, then you're already accepting such costs hand over fist. Really not sure why ~40/42 clubs should care about another one being added tbh. 

We already have a plan to replace our artificial surface with a grass pitch and relocate the youth academy to the home of a local WoSFL side.

Swing and a miss, Champ.

So your mewling about it having an equivalent impact as the 10,000 seater rule on plucky wee clubs outside the Premiership is demonstrably bollocks. You just, err, change the surface based on the new rules. 

Thanks for playing anyway - you hate to see it happen. 

IMG-20220313-WA0007.jpg.1358f3462ffdd4f170519b480b520fca.jpg