Strongest 11/McGregor/Ferguson conundrum

6 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

That's all fine, we are in agreement. Lewis Ferguson is a very good player, good midfielder and has had a great season for Bologna.

Our midfield is strong. That's why he hasn't got the game time he and you would like. The same reason why Ryan Gauld hasn't been called up. He plays in the same position as two of our key players. He isn't so good that we need to create a bespoke solution for him like with Tierney and Robbo. He will find a route in sooner rather than later, but for now he (and you) must be patient. His game time for Scotland improved markedly in 2023 compared to 2022. 

If you think it's bad for Scotland, imagine what it must be like at teams with more options than we have. Take a step back, be objective and realise there are understandable reasons why he isn't a starter and that things were moving in his direction before he unfortunately suffered that injury and hopefully will again when he returns.

The conversation would be over if you would stop posting the same thing all the time. "I agree with Steve clarke" regurgitated doesn't add anything to a football discussion board.

Steve Clarkes interviews are in newspapers, his team selections are available for all to see. Theres no need for 99% of your posts.

2 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

The conversation would be over if you would stop posting the same thing all the time. "I agree with Steve clarke" regurgitated doesn't add anything to a football discussion board.

Steve Clarkes interviews are in newspapers, his team selections are available for all to see. Theres no need for 99% of your posts.

What's the 1% that are wanted? 🤔

Posted (edited)

What we thinking the lineup will be against Germany? 

Something like

Gunn

Ralston Porteous McKenna Tierney Roberston

McGregor Christie

McTominay McGinn

Adams

?

Edited by Zazu

27 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Gunn

Porteous Hendry Tierney

Ralston Gilmour McGregor Robertson

McGinn McTominay

Dykes

Christie should surely be starting? 

Has had a much better season than Gilmour, playing basically in the same position now as well. 

1 hour ago, Zazu said:

Something like

Gunn

McGregor Christie

McTominay McGinn

Adams

?

Gunn

Ralston - Porteous - Henry - McKenna - Robertson
McGregor - Gilmour
McTominay- McGinn
Adams

Don't think Christie has played in his Bournemouth position of deeper in midfield for Scotland, I don't see Clarke chucking him in there willy nilly. I could see Christie in the team, but I see at the expense of Gilmour with McTominay most likely dropping back beside McGregor

Adams/Dykes is a toss up.

1 minute ago, Jives Miguel said:

Gunn

Ralston - Porteous - Henry - McKenna - Robertson
McGregor - Gilmour
McTominay- McGinn
Adams

Don't think Christie has played in his Bournemouth position of deeper in midfield for Scotland, I don't see Clarke chucking him in there willy nilly. I could see Christie in the team, but I see at the expense of Gilmour with McTominay most likely dropping back beside McGregor

Adams/Dykes is a toss up.

Benching Tierney? Bold

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Zazu said:

Something like

Gunn

McGregor Christie

McTominay McGinn

Adams

?

-----------------Gunn----------------

-----Porteous---Hendry---Tierney------

Ralston-----------------------Robertson

-----------Gilmour----McGregor-------

-----McGinn-----------McTominay------

-----------------Dykes-----------------

BUT Christie may potentially play instead of Gilmour with either he or McSauce sitting deep.

AND if Hanley is fully fit he'll be in the middle of the back line and Hendry will replace Porteous.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Gunn - nailed

Ralston/McCrorie - I suspect will be determined on who shows up better in friendlies

Robertson - nailed

Tierney - nailed

Hendry - nailed

Porteous /McKenna/Hanley -could be any of them but I suspect that is Porteous is in pole

McGregor - nailed

Gilmour/ Christie - I wouldn't say Gilmour is nailed but he is very close and would be surprised if he didn't start

McGinn - nailed

McTominay - nailed

Adams / Dykes - Almost certainly going to be Adams but its not nailed. In competitive games - Che Adams has only been benched 4 times (2 of these right at the start of his international career) but one of these was Spain away in the recent campaign so I guess he isn't nailed on.

24 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Adams / Dykes - Almost certainly going to be Adams but its not nailed. In competitive games - Che Adams has only been benched 4 times (2 of these right at the start of his international career) but one of these was Spain away in the recent campaign so I guess he isn't nailed on.

11 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I wouldn't rule out Shankland starting.

Against Germany? I'm pretty sure Dykes will start against Germany unless there's any fitness concern before it. Other two games more up for grabs.

43 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Against Germany? I'm pretty sure Dykes will start against Germany unless there's any fitness concern before it. Other two games more up for grabs.

Unless you think he will start with both Adams and Dykes against Germany, what evidence or feelings do you have that Dykes will start that?

As I say, I'm not 100% sure that Adams will start but for competitive games, Clarke starts Adams almost every time. In fact the only two times he hasn't in the last 3 years is once at home to Ireland and away to Spain.

Almost all the evidence and history at international level (coupled with Dykes poor form this season) would point towards Adams starting over Dykes. Not trying to troll but genuinely interested as to the 'why' when you seem so certain Dykes will start.

Of course like Craig says, it may well be Shankland, especially if he performs over the two friendlies

51 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Unless you think he will start with both Adams and Dykes against Germany, what evidence or feelings do you have that Dykes will start that?

As I say, I'm not 100% sure that Adams will start but for competitive games, Clarke starts Adams almost every time. In fact the only two times he hasn't in the last 3 years is once at home to Ireland and away to Spain.

Almost all the evidence and history at international level (coupled with Dykes poor form this season) would point towards Adams starting over Dykes. Not trying to troll but genuinely interested as to the 'why' when you seem so certain Dykes will start.

Of course like Craig says, it may well be Shankland, especially if he performs over the two friendlies

A bit of 'inside' knowledge and a general trend I see that Dykes tends to start the games where we will be playing defensively, both because he's better at holding the ball up and getting us up the pitch and because he's a better defender at set pieces, etc.

It's partly availability and opportunity of course but the last time Che Adams started a competitve game against a non minnow was the 0-0 'win' against Ukraine in September 2022.

3 hours ago, Zazu said:

Christie should surely be starting? 

Has had a much better season than Gilmour, playing basically in the same position now as well. 

Gilmour starts the first game for me. very safe in possession which we will need, Christie possibly replaces him for Switzerland game when we might be a bit more expansive