Cheltenham 2024

Well that’s Nicky Henderson pulling half his horses out with more to come later in the week. I will be staying away from all of his runners. Hope the horses are ok of course but this all seems strange as he says there’s no known issues and the horses schooled fine. If Sir Gino gets pulled on Friday I’m pretty much done regardless what happens. 

Cross Country now pulled too.

Love Cheltenham but it’s getting more difficult each year to get competitive races and the Irish are getting more and more dominant every year. 1,2,3,4 in the supreme, 1,2,3 in the Arkle, first 2 in the champion hurdle, 1,2,3,4 in the mares hurdle, 1,2,3,4 in the Boodles,  first 2 in th National hunt. Very very bleak for British racing with Chianti Classico the only winner. 

Can’t say I’ve much buzz for today actually yet 

11 hours ago, diamond_for_life said:

Absolutely respect that from you both and I never want to downplay the tragedy of horses dying. Don’t mind admitting my fav horse was L’Ami Serge and cried over its tragic end. Had the double green in my heart ever since. 

Unfortunately wont ever stop me betting on them as heartless as that will be to some. Always happy to listen to chat and get perspective from others though who don’t agree with my views. 

I think what hit me yesterday was I'd just been reading about Highland Hunter in the paper that morning. About how he'd walked before the hearse at that young jockeys funeral. To then read he'd died as well basically for people's entertainment and bank balance was just 😭 

Just hope there is no more deaths as in any other walk of life there would be serious questions asked 

Was never confident about today and so it proved with my day pretty much starting and ending with Ballyburn. 

El Fabiolo letting down the treble and despite highlighting Langer Dan as the biggest plot job you’ll see I didn’t back it at all and his win left me pissed off with how the handicap system works. Good on the Skeltons for winning two races though. Never back against Mullins in the bumper (never back against Mullins in general seems a good rule right enough) and the double green did the business. Only a small double with it and one for tomorrow which I will touch on in my right up. Pretty disappointing day and Nicky Henderson is giving me no hope what so ever there is light at the end of the tunnel for Sir Gino

Day 3 was my quietest days betting the last few years and last year I went into it expecting the same. That was before Stage Star, The Real Whacker and Sire Du Burlais (80/1) completed what was a dream Cheltenham for me. 

This Thursday I’m actually more involved than I was in previous years and I’m cautiously optimistic this could be my best day of the 4 (famous last words). 

Been on Facile Vega all year and loved this horse since its bumper win here 2 years ago. Couldn’t go without backing it again here. Grey Dawning the other bet as Skelton couldn’t be any more bullish over this horse and with a pull in the weights I expect it to reverse the form with Ginny’s Destiny. 

The Pertemps is a race I’ve done horribly in over the years including last year but I’m strangely happy with my selections for this year. Gaoth Chuil and Cuthbert Dibble both confident picks. Chantry House is my e/w selection. 

The Ryanair would have been Banbridge for me on a sound surface but staying well clear (dejavu as I did the same with it last year). Antepost I have Protektorat and Ahoy Senor at huge prices e/w. Will also be on either Fugutif or Fill Dor using my free bet. I’d make Stage Star the favourite personally and if I could have got the early prices others did I would have been on them. 

No 80/1 shot in the stayers this year and no loyalty to the defending champ either. Noble Yeats my antepost play and topped up at various prices. Wouldn’t be a Cheltenham without me backing the hero that is Paisley Park. Absolutley deserves to go out in front and would be the people’s choice for sure. The only other one I looked at was Sir Gerhard but just not sure if it stays. 

Had 4 antepost in the plate and 2 haven’t made it. Of the 2 that remain biggest hope lies with Shakem Up’Arry and also have Riaan e/w. I will likely put a bet on Mars Harper to place who is another horse I backed last year a lot and feel loyalty to. 

The mares novice antepost bet was Brighterdaysahead but nothing major at 6s and 4s. Dysart Enos will be my play on the day. 

Nothing yet for the Kim Muir other than the customary loyalty bet on Cloudy Glen 

Managed to go so far this year just using free bets (or returns from free bets) and not depositing anything. Nothing on day 1 bar some shrapnel on a couple of e/w shouts although Quilixios let down a place acca covering every race (betfair daily free £2 acca) for a half decent return.

Yesterday me and "the missus" W Hills free fivers went to good use with wins on Langer Dan then Captain Guinness although it felt a little bittersweet as went e/w when straight wins would've returned more. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though and at least it's bankrolled todays punts.

Nicky Henderson can f**k off. I have no issue with horses not running and welfare always comes first but the statements all week saying Sir Gino is fine and doing well then this morning he says Sir Gino is in great shape and there’s no issues with the scope or tests done but he is being pulled out due to the worrying form of his other horses. 

Piss off Nicky. Tell the truth and admit Sir Gino is not fit or run it. Either or is fine but to say he is in top shape but I’m pulling him anyway. Im scunnered with that. 

Started my summery and write up last night but didn’t get it finished. 

Every morning I’ve woken up the day has started brutal with non runners. Henderson scunnered me most with Sir Gino and yesterday morning I felt like just chucking the towel in and abandoning the racing. I felt a good 6 months solid graft just went out the window. 

The day started brightly though with Grey Dawning winning and grinding out a good win. A decent enough start and at 5/1 the day was pretty much covered 

Had nothing come close in the second race but wasn’t too worried as I’ve had a dreadful record in the Pertemps and that continued in style. 

The Ryanair chase next and at 33/1 antepost Protektorat is my biggest price win by a mile this festival and did soften the blow of Sir Gino quite considerably 

Was no luck in the stayers but not often would I be on a short priced fav and antepost I never once considered backing Teahupoo. Paisley Park is still a hero and wish it a happy retirement. 

After Saint Felicien was brought down all focus was on Shakem Up’arry who I mentioned was my big play and main hope for today. Ran a blinder and jumped the last like it was going to be a case of how far. After some paddling and drifting suddenly horses were closing and I can’t lie I thought it was getting picked off to my dismay. Thankfully Ben Jones straightened it up and it was a fantastic win and leaves me well in profit now regardless of the losses on Sir Gino. 

Brighterdaysahead was soundly beaten by a much better horse and despite other folks grumblings on jockey performance I say Golden Ace deserves all the credit and ran superbly. Maybe would say different if it wasn’t for the previous races. 

Had a small play on the last but both horses were never involved and the favourite looked an excellent winner carrying top weight.

I said I was strangely confident yesterday and it proved a highly profitable one so it’s onto tomorrow. 

2 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

Started my summery and write up last night but didn’t get it finished. 

Every morning I’ve woken up the day has started brutal with non runners. Henderson scunnered me most with Sir Gino and yesterday morning I felt like just chucking the towel in and abandoning the racing. I felt a good 6 months solid graft just went out the window. 

The day started brightly though with Grey Dawning winning and grinding out a good win. A decent enough start and at 5/1 the day was pretty much covered 

Had nothing come close in the second race but wasn’t too worried as I’ve had a dreadful record in the Pertemps and that continued in style. 

The Ryanair chase next and at 33/1 antepost Protektorat is my biggest price win by a mile this festival and did soften the blow of Sir Gino quite considerably 

Was no luck in the stayers but not often would I be on a short priced fav and antepost I never once considered backing Teahupoo. Paisley Park is still a hero and wish it a happy retirement. 

After Saint Felicien was brought down all focus was on Shakem Up’arry who I mentioned was my big play and main hope for today. Ran a blinder and jumped the last like it was going to be a case of how far. After some paddling and drifting suddenly horses were closing and I can’t lie I thought it was getting picked off to my dismay. Thankfully Ben Jones straightened it up and it was a fantastic win and leaves me well in profit now regardless of the losses on Sir Gino. 

Brighterdaysahead was soundly beaten by a much better horse and despite other folks grumblings on jockey performance I say Golden Ace deserves all the credit and ran superbly. Maybe would say different if it wasn’t for the previous races. 

Had a small play on the last but both horses were never involved and the favourite looked an excellent winner carrying top weight.

I said I was strangely confident yesterday and it proved a highly profitable one so it’s onto tomorrow. 

Really enjoyed your insights and thoughts over the festival mate