Semi Final: Aberdeen vs Celtic

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

It’s always a big ask to beat them both at hampden to win a cup (has it ever happened?) but both teams have vulnerabilities. 

Celtic are almost ideologically poor at the back. They take no steps to cover for any deficiencies so at a time when their centre halves are pretty poor the opportunities are there. It’s then just a question of bravery for teams like ours. The players are there to hurt them, you just have to be brave in possession. So often that doesn’t happen. 

I have to say I don’t particularly fancy hearts today but you never know. Much stranger things have happened. 

197677 League Cup...

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

I'm sorry but the foul is quite conclusive for me he barges in to the back of him and gets nowhere the ball and stops Johnston from making contact with the ball. I'm not sure it can be anything other than a free kick really. 

Makes contact at speed 🤣

Johnston going down under minimal contact is exactly why grass roots coaches struggle with young players demanding free kicks for the slightest contact.

45 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

So he wasn't certain it was a foul, being "confident" isn't the same as certain 

The only person to bring the notion of “certainty” into this was @RandomGuy.

45 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

And again, by awarding the free kick before the penalty pretty much ruled out any chance of the penalty being awarded because VAR would never see his free kick award as a clear and obvious error

He had to award the free kick if he believed it to be one. 

What part of this is difficult to understand? 

4 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Makes contact at speed 🤣

Johnston going down under minimal contact is exactly why grass roots coaches struggle with young players demanding free kicks for the slightest contact.

He's jumping in the air for ball of course any contact is most likely going to put him off balance ffs but there was a fair bit anyway.

7 minutes ago, gannonball said:

He's jumping in the air for ball of course any contact is most likely going to put him off balance ffs but there was a fair bit anyway.

He was down for around a minute after that ffs.

57 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

So he wasn't certain it was a foul, being "confident" isn't the same as certain 

And again, by awarding the free kick before the penalty pretty much ruled out any chance of the penalty being awarded because VAR would never see his free kick award as a clear and obvious error

Well if it wasn’t a clear and obvious error then he was correct to award the foul.

If VAR had thought he got it wrong it would have sent him to the monitor to reassess his decision.

15 hours ago, LuboMoravcik said:

Is it still a rule that players should be booked if they go into the crowd btw?

Only into a Celtic crowd. 100% booked when it happens. Optional for all other clubs.  

The rules as per SFA referees.

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Genuinely quite sad. I know refs have always been discussed but I swear VAR has made this even more insufferable. 

To disrupt this with football chat, o’reilly’s finish for his goal is very aesthetically pleasing. He could’ve scored with a far inferior finish but the accuracy is tremendous. 

Celtics defence is mercifully garbage though, I don’t remember us having so many chances against them in a game at hampden. We’ve basically scored the same goal twice with someone just drifting in at the back post, presume Liam scales is at fault for that.  

It was a flashback to the '80s when you seemed to score that goal all the time.

I think our fans have been harsh on Scales but he was pretty terrible yesterday. Yang has had far too many opportunities to show his worth and he is miles off it. Surely Rodgers needs to favour Forrest and Palma now or Kyogo with Idah starting in the middle.

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

It’s always a big ask to beat them both at hampden to win a cup (has it ever happened?) but both teams have vulnerabilities. 

I was thinking this yesterday playing the semi finals at Hampden gives the Glasgow clubs a massive advantage.

Given that few clubs outside Glasgow have won the cup since Aberdeen's great days then it's incredibly difficult to do.

Aberdeen beat both in 1983 at Hampden and also beat both in 1982 albeit the Celtic win that year was at Pittodrie.

8 minutes ago, Eder said:

I was thinking this yesterday playing the semi finals at Hampden gives the Glasgow clubs a massive advantage.

Given that few clubs outside Glasgow have won the cup since Aberdeen's great days then it's incredibly difficult to do.

Aberdeen beat both in 1983 at Hampden and also beat both in 1982 albeit the Celtic win that year was at Pittodrie.

Dons also beat celtic in the semi and rangers in the final to win the 1989 league cup

I was at the game yesterday then pub afterwards but was aware of the hoo-ha over the non penalty award in extra time for Aberdeen. 

Just catching up with the highlights earlier on BBC iPlayer. 

The tackle by CCV in isolation would be a penalty kick, absolutely no doubt but, its a clear foul as the original cross goes over, staggering and hilarious in equal measure this is being ignored, Hoilett clearly barges Johnston in the back. 

Edited by Flybhoy

57 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

I was at the game yesterday then pub afterwards but was aware of the hoo-ha over the non penalty award in extra time for Aberdeen. 

Just catching up with the highlights earlier on BBC iPlayer. 

The tackle by CCV in isolation would be a penalty kick, absolutely no doubt but, its a clear foul as the original cross goes over, staggering and hilarious in equal measure this is being ignored, Hoilett clearly barges Johnston in the back. 

It's a fair challenge for the ball.