Next Step(s)  

157 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I don’t think so.

You could simplify the offside rule so easily so that there were no marginal decisions at all by introducing the simple concept of “clear daylight”. 
No lines required to be drawn. The VAR guy looks at it and if he can’t instantly see clear daylight then it’s onside. 
This also has the clearly positive effect of giving the benefit of any doubt to the attacking player which I assume is something we’d all want.

It would also make for instant decisions and remove some of these nonsense offside decisions where no advantage has been gained at all. 

Where I agree with The Master is that this just moves the line (even if the line is imaginary), I dont think solves the problem. Being offside by a toe becomes being onside by a heel. Would it be better? Maybe but I'm not totally sold.

The 'clear and obvious' principle doesn't apply to offsides. If we must stick with VAR I'd argue that it should. Whoever is the VAR will be watching the game on a screen, if on first viewing the assistant's decision is clearly and obviously wrong then they'll see that. Otherwise stick with the on field decision.

Or, bin it all together and accept that assistants will sometimes make mistakes.

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

The automated offsides at the Euros are lightyears ahead of what we have in Scotland, but no one will ever convince me that this makes football better.

IMG_20240630_102116_821.jpg

We are being asked to believe a cartoon , leave the picture as it is please

So say the forward in the situation above was a couple of feet closer to goal. Clear daylight between him and the defender, but oh! his trailing foot overlaps the defender's back foot by 1cm! No goal!

As soon as it's in, there is no room for human decision making and common sense. It's fucked everything.

1 hour ago, The Master said:

And how do they determine “clear daylight”?

Even just eyeballing it will create marginal (and inconsistent) decisions. 

we could get them to freeze it an maybe use something to draw a li... oh right!

Posted (edited)

From a fan perspective it always comes back to the same thing. If fans want to get decisions right then you have to have a cut-off on the margin somewhere. If fans are happy to accept mistakes then no need for VAR. The thing that I wouldn't accept is fans getting rid of VAR and then moaning cause the refs are shite and making too many mistakes.

Then you have to add in the liability perspective with so much money in the game. If the governing body aren't seen to be doing everything they can to get decisions correct then who are the clubs going to hold responsible? No VAR means the clubs have to accept that referees will make mistakes that will cost them millions of pounds.

Edited by 2426255

30 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

From a fan perspective it always comes back to the same thing. If fans want to get decisions right then you have to have a cut-off on the margin somewhere. If fans are happy to accept mistakes then no need for VAR. The thing that I wouldn't accept is fans getting rid of VAR and then moaning cause the refs are shite and making too many mistakes.

Then you have to add in the liability perspective with so much money in the game. If the governing body aren't seen to be doing everything they can to get decisions correct then who are the clubs going to hold responsible? No VAR means the clubs have to accept that referees will make mistakes that will cost them millions of pounds.

It's already taken into account. Get VAR out the game!

image.png.e802759ad04ad84ddcbd76d4f1463096.png

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

"We need VAR cos the National team forwards would get all their goals disallowed if we didnt" is an absolutely magnificent take from Mulraney. What a fucking p***k

He's a fat, Tory slimer lookalike who has somehow failed his way upwards within Scottish football. 

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

It's already taken into account. Get VAR out the game!

image.png.e802759ad04ad84ddcbd76d4f1463096.png

Might be reading your reply wrong, but putting the liability on refs doesn't solve that issue. The priority for UEFA is on getting decisions correct particularly in high value games, otherwise clubs could say UEFA aren't doing all they can to get fair outcomes resulting in x team losing out on £20million.

I'm assuming loss of revenue was a significant reason for why VAR came in, but maybe it wasn't.

In Scotland, fair enough - you don't have the same scale or prize money, but you also don't have the same scale of finance within the clubs.

Edited by 2426255

Yes I know exactly what you meant, I was merely pointing out that when clubs sign up to associations and competitions, they implicitly accept the rule I quoted. Thus spiking any legal challenge they could make.

On 02/07/2024 at 13:37, 2426255 said:

Might be reading your reply wrong, but putting the liability on refs doesn't solve that issue. The priority for UEFA is on getting decisions correct particularly in high value games, otherwise clubs could say UEFA aren't doing all they can to get fair outcomes resulting in x team losing out on £20million.

I'm assuming loss of revenue was a significant reason for why VAR came in, but maybe it wasn't.

In Scotland, fair enough - you don't have the same scale or prize money, but you also don't have the same scale of finance within the clubs.

Loss of revenue for a small number of clubs who perceive that lost revenue to be the result of refereeing judgements within games. 

Thats essentially how this all started. Terrific stuff isn’t it. 

On 05/07/2024 at 07:36, Dons_1988 said:

Loss of revenue for a small number of clubs who perceive that lost revenue to be the result of refereeing judgements within games. 

Thats essentially how this all started. Terrific stuff isn’t it. 

The clubs are the ones driving this, are they not? Look at the EPL vote - only Wolves voted against it. Why was that? Did the clubs who voted in favour give any reason to supporters for voting in favour?

7 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Level is already onside.

But in reality, no one will ever be 'level' there will always be a tiny bit of one player's body ahead of the others.

The concept of being level, as has always been understood, no longer applies with the use of technology. 

The American woman doing the ref analysis on the England penalty in the semi explained the guidance as to what “clear and obvious” should mean.  She said that 9 out of 10 members of the unbiased “football community” should consider a decision to be wrong before VAR advises the referee to check.  

Given the reaction to the awarding of the penalty that is blatantly not the case, therefore it’s a simple case of the VAR not following the guidelines.  

Apply those guidelines correctly and VAR becomes a useful tool.