Ayr United v Queen's Park Sat 23rd

A must not lose for both teams?

As if the Championship wasn't random enough, the biggest uncertainty in recent times has been the standard of refereeing we get. Perhaps the view to take is that it all evens out, but it can really spoil a good competition.   It was noticeable in Saturday's game against Raith that it wasn't dominated by ref interference, yet he was strong enough to not be hoodwinked by either team.  We suffered against Ayr at Hampden last time around, and the recent Thistle game was refereed by Brian Graham. I don't keep track of who's who, but the ref that gave that penalty on Saturday up in Inverness was a shocker.  How do you plan for that?

22 minutes ago, Velvet Donkey said:

A must not lose for both teams?

.................................We suffered against Ayr at Hampden last time around, ..........................

More so Queens Park than Ayr United.

You are referring to Sean Welsh's Red Card.  Well, in his last game for ICT at Somerset Park he should have been sent off.  No Question. So much so that he was immediately substituted.

Loosing 'senior' referees to Premiership VAR is having a far worse impact on the Championship......

I think we need to win this. The objective can't be to draw our way to the finish line and hope that's enough. It's great that we're clearly tougher to beat now, but ultimately we threw away the win against Thistle, and took our foot right off the gas at Airdrie. Time to start getting things right at both ends of the park at the same time, rather than one or the other.

We were rank rotten against Dunfermline. We followed it up with a win against Inverness so either Brown has managed to unlock something from the team or Inverness are dreadful and we got away with one. 
Either way, we need to be better against Queens Park if we want to pull away from a relegation dog fight. 

Genuinely no feelings either way about a result. It’s the first time Brown has been in charge for a second time against opposition, so hopefully that’ll help. 

As long as we outrun Inverness, we’re home and dry. Not putting too much onus on must win/must not lose. On paper, they have the toughest fixtures over the next fortnight. We’ve just come off two of the three toughest of the final quarter unbeaten. We’re going to lose between now and the end of the season, though. Important not to start running around with our hair on fire when it does happen, because so is everyone else. 

I think we should win this game. I have nothing against Ayr but on the occasions I have seen them this season they are comfortably the weakest team bar Arbroath that I have seen us play. I have been amazed at how they have picked up points as they go along. If our signings are to pay off then they need to in this game. I think they will.

Preparing my face for the barrage of eggs on Saturday.

I’m not in the camp of ‘must win’ yet.  Obviously it will enhance our survival chances massively, particularly if Inverness lose (don’t even think about it United) but there’s still enough games to pick up points and I favour our final 4 games of the season over most teams around us. To get 2 points from thistle and Raith is totally fine with me, even though it was frustrating to blow a 2 goal advantage. 

In short, I’m banking and relying on Inverness being garbage. Ayr and Dunfermline will still pick up points towards the end of the season 

Just now, williebraveheart said:

I think we should win this game. I have nothing against Ayr but on the occasions I have seen them this season they are comfortably the weakest team bar Arbroath that I have seen us play. I have been amazed at how they have picked up points as they go along. If our signings are to pay off then they need to in this game. I think they will.

Other than a good 2nd half at Somerset, we’ve been comfortably 2nd best to Ayr all season, conceding 9. The first hampden fixture was as bad as I’ve seen us defend or any team at this level defend in all honesty 

1 minute ago, williebraveheart said:

Not sure. They rattled five past us during the Veldman Sunday League era. We’re a different team now, of course. Think they’re like everyone else in terms of wildly flailing between guff and excellence. Certainly wouldn’t be making either team a particular favourite. 

2 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Other than a good 2nd half at Somerset, we’ve been comfortably 2nd best to Ayr all season, conceding 9. The first hampden fixture was as bad as I’ve seen us defend or any team at this level defend in all honesty 

2 minutes ago, an86 said:

Not sure. They rattled five past us during the Veldman Sunday League era. We’re a different team now, of course. Think they’re like everyone else in terms of wildly flailing between guff and excellence. Certainly wouldn’t be making either team a particular favourite. 

I agree with both of you. I was not trying to make out we were better in any of the games we played against them. I was just not impressed with them as a team and any team with organisation and shape should get the better of them. When they scored five at Hampden we were absolutely atrocious with McKenna displaying why Ferrie should have been our first choice along with our infantile approach to high press.

51 minutes ago, an86 said:

Not putting too much onus on must win/must not lose.

44 minutes ago, qpfc said:

I’m not in the camp of ‘must win’ yet. 

I think it depends on what your objective is for the remainder of the season. If you want us to be in with a shot of avoiding 9th come the end of the season, then drawing or even losing this definitely would be fine since the league is so tight.

I'd much rather it didn't go right down to the wire though. In that case picking up 3 or 4 points from a potential 12 is definitely not ideal, especially with Morton and Dundee United coming up, despite the improved performances.

Dunfermline seem to have turned a corner, and you can't just assume that Inverness won't either. This is our best chance of winning a game until mid-April and I think we do need to be taking advantage of that.

Ayr have improved under Brown, it would be hard not to have made an improvement on one win in 12 or whatever run Bullen was on. Maybe a bit like Queens Park, we are harder to beat but maybe not that good in terms of quality. 

Brown seems to be trying to bend players to a style of play rather than the other way around which is having mixed results to to him only having a limited time to bring players in. Our bench on Saturday had probably 7 players most folk would have in their starting 11 every week. 

Was looking at the table earlier, hilarious that a win on Saturday and at home to Airdrie next Friday, puts us in 4th place, albeit for 24 hours until other games are played :lol:.  Just shows you the ridiculousness of this league.  The likes of the next 2 games were the ones I was thinking Brown will be focusing on to manage us to safety. Think Musonda will be away for this one, possibly allows McGinley to come in to left back and a back 4 of McAllister/Stanger/Sanders/McGinley.  Then apart from Dowds, it's a tombola draw for the other 5 outfield positions.

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

Was looking at the table earlier, hilarious that a win on Saturday and at home to Airdrie next Friday, puts us in 4th place, albeit for 24 hours until other games are played :lol:.  Just shows you the ridiculousness of this league.  The likes of the next 2 games were the ones I was thinking Brown will be focusing on to manage us to safety. Think Musonda will be away for this one, possibly allows McGinley to come in to left back and a back 4 of McAllister/Stanger/Sanders/McGinley.  Then apart from Dowds, it's a tombola draw for the other 5 outfield positions.

McGinley in before McGinty ? 

13 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

I mean none of us have any idea how good he is, but it would be a pretty pointless signing if he is behind both Musonda and another centre half to come in to play his actual position. He would have to be unbelievably shite for that to be the case!

The good old Championship lottery comes around again on Saturday.

I’m going for both teams to score - other than that, take your pick!!!

Will no doubt come down to a mixture of the referee and who makes the least mistakes.

1 hour ago, Finlay21 said:

At left back yeah. If we fling Sanders in at left back with McGinty coming back in at centre half then we’re wasting £x on McGinley. I’m assuming McGinty was dropped on Saturday unless carrying a knock. Either way, with Reading out and Musonda away, McGinley should be starting and 1 of Sanders/McGinty partnering Stanger. 

Feel like I keep saying we need to start puting some distance between ourselves and ninth but those around us just keep getting results🙄.  Ayr have generally had the better of us recently but we should be capable of taking something from this. Ayr also seem to be on a sequential win/lose run since Brown took over.  Can't think of a good reason for that not to continue, {...checks notes...} so last week's win over Inverness should mean an away win is inevitable 🤞🫣

4 hours ago, Zanetti said:

I think it depends on what your objective is for the remainder of the season. If you want us to be in with a shot of avoiding 9th come the end of the season, then drawing or even losing this definitely would be fine since the league is so tight.

I'd much rather it didn't go right down to the wire though. In that case picking up 3 or 4 points from a potential 12 is definitely not ideal, especially with Morton and Dundee United coming up, despite the improved performances.

Dunfermline seem to have turned a corner, and you can't just assume that Inverness won't either. This is our best chance of winning a game until mid-April and I think we do need to be taking advantage of that.

8th is fine, considering where we’ve come from. Keep doing what we’re doing and we’ll achieve that. If Davidson maintains his current points average, we finish on 54 points which will see us safe with games to spare. Even a slight drop off from that should still see us ok.

Inverness are sitting with one win in eight, still have to play all of the top three and come to Hampden. Ideally we’ll pick up a win over the next couple of games and nothing mad happens at their end, but cool heads are needed if things don’t go our way. My major worry is something happening to Wilson or Welsh. If we keep the squad fit, I’ll be as calm as it’s possible to be in the circumstances.