34 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Are Scotland a better team, with more threat, with him up front over Lyndon Dykes? The answer is now, in March 2024, yes we are. That has f**k all to do with me supporting Hearts. Dykes does not look like scoring goals. Shankland does. It is that simple. That does not mean I am writing off Dykes's possible contribution just that for me starting him now in a major tournament reeks of pragmatism and frankly negativity. I appreciate you have a different view on it but the tide has definitely turned and you only need listen to the likes of Faddy and McCann who have been there and done that and know who provides the greater goal threat. Shanks should start in Munich. 

No. They talk absolute shite.

With Kroos back I expect the main job of the striker against Germany to be that shuttling, pressing job that Dykes did on Rodri really well, twice.

Dykes probably gets the nod there. But the other 2 games are completely different and I wouldn't be surprised to see Shankland get the nod over Adams

On 25/03/2024 at 09:38, Skyline Drifter said:

I think a lot of that will depend on your geography. My son is playing kids football in D&G and we play on a grass pitch once or twice a season maybe. D&G is full of 3G pitches, Almost every club has access to one. There are four in Dumfries alone. Gretna, Annan, Dalbeattie, Lockerbie, Kirkcudbright and Stranraer all have one too.

I'm conscious there's not many in Dunbartonshire for instance. Not really sure about other areas?

That said, far from convinced the better quality pitches are why we're not producing strikers.

Do they though? That's a list of mostly attacking midfielders. Moore's an out and out forward largely playing at the same level as Dykes. He's more of a goalscorer  probably and a similar level of a handful. Adams has more games at a higher level than him though different kind of player.

Johnson's probably an attacker but he plays a wider role and hasn't really played through the middle for either Wales, Spurs or Forest. He's certainly a real talent, although Welsh by accident more than any clever development from the Welsh FA. I'd be delighted if Brennan Johnson was Scottish though not sure where he'd fit in our current system.

The rest of them are midfielders and not one of them I'd swap for McTominay, McGinn or Christie.

I would consider swapping some of their defenders !

Still amazed Ryan Hardie didn't get picked for these friendlies. He has outperformed Dykes in the Championship and his general style would suit the way Scotland have played. To me he is better than Conway, Fraser or Doak but just doesn't seem to warrant being looked at or talked about. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Plymouth Par said:

Still amazed Ryan Hardie didn't get picked for these friendlies. He has outperformed Dykes in the Championship and his general style would suit the way Scotland have played. To me he is better than Conway, Fraser or Doak but just doesn't seem to warrant being looked at or talked about. 

Too soon mate. This isn't a good time for this crap about Ryan Hardie. We all know in our heart of hearts he isn't going to make much difference and that you wouldn't be calling for him if you didn't support Plymouth or live there or whatever your link to that area is.

Edited by 2426255

3 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

With Kroos back I expect the main job of the striker against Germany to be that shuttling, pressing job that Dykes did on Rodri really well, twice.

Dykes probably gets the nod there. But the other 2 games are completely different and I wouldn't be surprised to see Shankland get the nod over Adams

Bingo. 

33 minutes ago, Plymouth Par said:

He's fundamentally not better than Fraser, who would be in the squad if it wasn't for his attitude. Conway and Doak are being talked about because they are youngsters who people think have a long-term future with Scotland.

Hardie is 27 and is in the midst of his first ever season in the Championship. His only other spell at any sort of half-decent level was with Livingston in the Premiership where he also did fine. It's hardly as though he was battering the goals in during the run-up to these games either, which is not the only thing that matters for our forwards but is at least going to give Clarke something to think about in terms of being different from the other guys he already knows and trusts.

46 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Too soon mate. This isn't a good time for this crap about Ryan Hardie. We all know in our heart of hearts he isn't going to make much difference and that you wouldn't be calling for him if you didn't support Plymouth or live there or whatever your link to that area is.

I've watched him whereas I dare say you haven't . A year ago I wouldn't have had him  in the team but he has vastly improved this season. No brainer for me. Season ticket holder at Argyle for your information and exiled Pars fan

14 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

He's fundamentally not better than Fraser, who would be in the squad if it wasn't for his attitude. Conway and Doak are being talked about because they are youngsters who people think have a long-term future with Scotland.

Hardie is 27 and is in the midst of his first ever season in the Championship. His only other spell at any sort of half-decent level was with Livingston in the Premiership where he also did fine. It's hardly as though he was battering the goals in during the run-up to these games either, which is not the only thing that matters for our forwards but is at least going to give Clarke something to think about in terms of being different from the other guys he already knows and trusts.

You are right in terms of the recent lack of goals but unfortunately Argyle have appointed a coach (soon to be sacked) who has been concentrating on defence. As I said to the other guy a year ago I wouldn't have put him in the team but he has developed hugely in the championship since the start of the season. The guys who played didn't exactly nail their places in Germany imo

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Plymouth Par said:

I've watched him whereas I dare say you haven't . A year ago I wouldn't have had him  in the team but he has vastly improved this season. No brainer for me. Season ticket holder at Argyle for your information and exiled Pars fan

That's fine, it doesn't help us now though to say I told you so. He won't be on the plane and that's the end of the story until after the Summer. Steve Clarke has also had him watched and didn't pick him so what more needs to be said on this. The players not picked or not playing always shine in adversity.

Edited by 2426255

11 hours ago, Hendricks said:

Are Scotland a better team, with more threat, with him up front over Lyndon Dykes? The answer is now, in March 2024, yes we are. 

There is nowhere like a big enough sample size to suggest this is the case, and even if there were it is far from open and close. Add in the way the striker is expected to play in Clarke's system, and the currently ignored fact that Dykes actually has a pretty decent goalscoring record compared to most Scotland strikers - including goals against the likes of Czech Republic, Ukraine and Norway, this is a ridiculously overconfident way to present your argument.

Being truthful I'd be surprised if, if the other two are fully fit, he gets much more than another start in a friendly and a few cameo appearances prior to and during the Euros. 

6 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

That's fine, it doesn't help us now though to say I told you so. He won't be on the plane and that's the end of the story until after the Summer. Steve Clarke has also had him watched and didn't pick him so what more needs to be said on this. The players not picked or not playing always shine in adversity.

All about opinions - don't be afraid of them. I see him every game and I think we are missing a trick

14 minutes ago, Plymouth Par said:

All about opinions - don't be afraid of them. I see him every game and I think we are missing a trick

I'm not afraid of them, but the only opinion that counts is Steve Clarke's and think you're better off recognising that, but that's up to you.

2 hours ago, Plymouth Par said:

1 hour ago, Plymouth Par said:

A year ago I wouldn't have had him  in the team but he has vastly improved this season. 

I've said it before on other threads and I'll say it again, I don't think now is the time for Clarke to be looking at new players like Hardie. We've qualified for a major tournament and the players that got us there did well, so these friendlies should be used to mould the players we have, further. 

You said yourself that a year ago, you wouldn't have had him in the team but you would now, that shows you how much he is developing. If he keeps that up then the Nations League is the point where new players should be looked at and considered, and if Clarke thinks he merits a look at, then I'm sure he will try and involve him then. 

3 hours ago, GHF-23 said:

There is nowhere like a big enough sample size to suggest this is the case, and even if there were it is far from open and close. Add in the way the striker is expected to play in Clarke's system, and the currently ignored fact that Dykes actually has a pretty decent goalscoring record compared to most Scotland strikers - including goals against the likes of Czech Republic, Ukraine and Norway, this is a ridiculously overconfident way to present your argument.

Being truthful I'd be surprised if, if the other two are fully fit, he gets much more than another start in a friendly and a few cameo appearances prior to and during the Euros. 

That being the case, should we fail in Germany, I'll confidently predict Clarke will get dogs abuse. Dykes has done well for Scotland at certain times but that should the past and he should be the one coming off the bench. His threat is negligible in the opponents box. 

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

That being the case, should we fail in Germany, I'll confidently predict Clarke will get dogs abuse. Dykes has done well for Scotland at certain times but that should the past and he should be the one coming off the bench. His threat is negligible in the opponents box. 

I don't get the whole thing with Shankland. He's decent, very good at Scottish Premiership level but he hasn't stood out amongst the strikers in this camp - he's been on par. On the one hand the narrative going into the camp was one chance one goal, he's a goal scorer and that's why he needs to be on the plane and starting against Germany, especially off the back of the Georgia game where it really was one chance, one goal.

image.thumb.png.deb2636158cf9b719c8d1e29f99bfd3b.png

Coming out the other side of the camp it's he's a striker and strikers miss chances and it's about getting back in for another chance. I mean do make up your mind. 😁

image.png.0ee9e7309c5f66f552327e4cff30791e.png

If I wanted to lower myself to the one dimensional arguments that were used in the build up around his Hearts "form" I'd probably say he's had his chance against The Netherlands and he fluffed it, couldn't step up and is mentally scarred. I don't believe that though, he's in the mix - a good player, not a great one and we'll see what happens in the Summer.

Edited by 2426255

25 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I don't get the whole thing with Shankland. He's decent, very good at Scottish Premiership level but he hasn't stood out amongst the strikers in this camp - he's been on par. On the one hand the narrative going into the camp was one chance one goal, he's a goal scorer and that's why he needs to be on the plane and starting against Germany, especially off the back of the Georgia game where it really was one chance, one goal.

image.thumb.png.deb2636158cf9b719c8d1e29f99bfd3b.png

Coming out the other side of the camp it's he's a striker and strikers miss chances and it's about getting back in for another chance. I mean do make up your mind. 😁

image.png.0ee9e7309c5f66f552327e4cff30791e.png

If I wanted to lower myself to the one dimensional arguments that were used in the build up around his Hearts "form" I'd probably say he's had his chance against The Netherlands and he fluffed it, couldn't step up and is mentally scarred. I don't believe that though, he's in the mix - a good player, not a great one and we'll see what happens in the Summer.

And you are entitled to your opinion, no problem with that. I disagree with it though and it has hee haw to do with my club allegiances. Scotland look a better more threatening team with Shankland over Dykes. That's my view. It's also my opinion that the likes of McGinn and McTominay enjoy playing with him up front more than the big carthorse type, again just an opinion. Shankland was on the park 15 minutes last night and had 3 efforts, Dykes could still be playing now and not have touched the ball in the box 3 times!  And I reiterate I do believe he has a part to play in the Euro's, I just think if that is him starting then it handicaps us these days. 

My prediction for what it's worth is that Clarke will go pragmatic against Germany in what will be a decent team performance and a 2-0 type defeat but Dykes will have little influence up front as he will be starved of any service. The clamour will then be huge for Shankland to start against the Swiss, in a game we should be looking to win, that will happen and he'll inevitably score in a famous Scottish victory  :Shanks:

Regardless of team selection I'm going to enjoy it, this is all just noise for us to occupy time with. I fully believe we will turn up and do ourselves justice over the 3 matches. I still expect us to get out of the group with this squad of players. 

1 hour ago, Hendricks said:

Why should a striker consistently (albeit not constantly) performing well, doing what he is expected to do and putting the ball in the net on a regular basis for Scotland be the past? Why would you then replace him with a striker 2 months older? You're presenting a version of the situation which is not in line with objective reality