4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

This is a wild and reactionary take, but of course not surprising given the source.

I'm not really even sure what national team performances are being discussed here - his last six starts have been Northern Ireland, Georgia x2, Spain x2 and Norway and he played well in four of those, including both of the games against elite opposition (ie the nearest team to Germany). The last two were the poorest of the lot, but we know what he can do and we also know he can score regularly against decent opposition, which is more than you can say for any of the other strikers in the squad.

Adams started against England and France and made essentially no impact in either game. I'm not really holding against it since they were both friendlies, but we don't have much in the way of evidence that he's suddely going to step it up against Germany. Of his 5 international goals, only one of them has come against a non-minnow (Denmark at Hampden). In contrast, Dykes has scored against Czech Republic, Israel, Norway, Slovakia and Ukraine (2), all of whom are not miles off the quality we'll be playing in the other two games at the competition (I've excluded the goal against Austria since it was a penalty).

A poor couple of performances in a dead rubber qualifier and a friendly clearly shouldn't be enough to cancel all of that out, and it won't be.

Given the source 🤣

Your funny man, literally get everything wrong and still try and come across as an oracle 🤣

19 hours ago, Fifespud said:

We’ve no decent strikers, we’ve a surfeit of really good midfielders. It was a discussion point. To me he is more likely to do a better job up front than at centre half and he’s been played there plenty of times. Especially against superior teams when we need to be solid he could certainly play as the most advanced midfielder. 

That's fine, it's a discussion point. This discussion has already been done before (to death) in terms of the pro's of having him as a striker against what you lose by not having him arriving late into the box. I've lost track of the number of times this discussion has come up tbh.

Spoiler
On 21/10/2023 at 20:23, Elixir said:

I'd like to see us stick McSauce up top in these games, with Ferguson coming in from the start.

Dykes has done a solid for Scotland, but we shouldn't be sentimental here (i.e. sticking with Marshall instead of Gordon at the last tournament). Adams missed a sitter which should have got us a point in Spain. McTominay has shown himself to be a fucking goal machine, on top of the physical attributes he provides. I really hope this is something we consider.

Spoiler
On 12/03/2024 at 11:06, The SandDancer said:

I'm not sure where this would leave Ferguson but one option to try is that if we possibly played Mctominay as CF which i think he would do greatly in then this could allow Ferguson as the box to box CM. I just want to see us try something a bit different in these frendlies as we are becoming a team that is a little predictable and we will be sussed out by the better teams moving forward IMO.

Spoiler
On 18/02/2024 at 14:36, Aidan said:

Worth noting that McTominay was actually playing as a striker up until he broke in to the first team at United so the position isn’t completely alien to him. I do think he’s much better suited to being the guy making runs in to the box from deeper positions but wouldn’t be entirely against the idea of seeing how he played as a striker in one of the friendlies. 

McTominay said this about people saying he was a striker when he was younger:

People always said: ‘You played as a striker as a kid.' I never played as a striker. I played two games there with [former Reserves coach] Warren Joyce because we had no striker. So, whenever I score a goal, people always say: ‘He used to be a striker, that’s why.’ I never used to be a striker! I’ve always been a midfield player - a number eight, so it is funny when you hear stuff like that.

Scott McTominay

https://www.manutd.com/en/amp/news/detail/scott-mctominay-addresses-striker-talk-from-his-time-in-man-utd-academy

On his position, McTominay did add a little bit more to what has previously been written in the Northern Ireland press conference.

No, not really to be fair. The manager asked me if I could do a job bringing the ball into midfield and defending, obviously whenever the opposition had the ball and that was fine, there was no problem. I’ve always seen myself as a #8: someone who like to carry the ball, get into the box and score goals and make things happen, but I’m not going to spit my dummy out and say I don’t want to play. That’s not been in my nature my whole way growing up through the academy. I had to play up front in the u-21’s a couple of times just because that was what was best for the team and yeah I look back with great memories of that. I remember writing on Instagram a couple of times that I’m happy with a clean sheet and that was just my role at that time. There’s no problems there, but yeah you adapt and you change positions and now I find myself a bit higher up.

Scott McTominay

https://youtu.be/zigpS5f6Jj4?si=XW40vjYJmrDSVUA7

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

That's fine, it's a discussion point. This discussion has already been done before (to death) in terms of the pro's of having him as a striker against what you lose by not having him arriving late into the box. I've lost track of the number of times this discussion has come up tbh.

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

McTominay said this about people saying he was a striker when he was younger:

https://www.manutd.com/en/amp/news/detail/scott-mctominay-addresses-striker-talk-from-his-time-in-man-utd-academy

On his position, McTominay did add a little bit more to what has previously been written in the Northern Ireland press conference.

https://youtu.be/zigpS5f6Jj4?si=XW40vjYJmrDSVUA7

Thank you. As I said I hadn’t read the thread, or indeed much of the whole Tartan Army ramblings. It was actually my dad’s idea, he’s 90! He played at a very high level, and knows more about the game than anyone I’ve ever met  We clash constantly about most things (he’s a Conservative voter) but he’s very insightful about footie. Now you know!

28 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Call 📞 him up. Portland Timbers are no slouches. ✈️ 

It's the Cascadia derby, which demonstrates that he can deliver in the very biggest of high-pressure games.

10 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Mr McBurnie scored at the weekend.

I’m watching MOTD2 now and I noticed McBurnie was heavily involved in the goals. Has he got his mojo back? Could he be called up for the June friendlies? Possible late addition to the Euros squad?

4 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

I’m watching MOTD2 now and I noticed McBurnie was heavily involved in the goals. Has he got his mojo back? Could he be called up for the June friendlies? Possible late addition to the Euros squad?

The squad for the Euros will almost certainly be named before the June friendlies.

16 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The squad for the Euros will almost certainly be named before the June friendlies.

The deadline for the squad to be submitted to UEFA is the same day as Scotland play Finland. I just assumed the squad announcement will cover the friendlies and Euro-2024. Steve Clarke has repeatedly said that the squad will be picked in May and so I think that's what will happen.

I suppose we could technically call up say 30 or so players for the two friendlies and then reduce it for the deadline, assuming the deadline is after the Finland game. I can't really see that happening.  

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

The deadline for the squad to be submitted to UEFA is the same day as Scotland play Finland. I just assumed the squad announcement will cover the friendlies and Euro-2024. Steve Clarke has repeatedly said that the squad will be picked in May and so I think that's what will happen.

I suppose we could technically call up say 30 or so players for the two friendlies and then reduce it for the deadline, assuming the deadline is after the Finland game. I can't really see that happening.  

For the last Euros, it sounded like Clarke did have a few folk in reserve who he told to keep fit in case they're needed. Ferguson was definitely one of them. There's obviously no guarantee that he'll do the same this time, but I think it's more likely than him naming an expanded provisional squad. 

2 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

For the last Euros, it sounded like Clarke did have a few folk in reserve who he told to keep fit in case they're needed. Ferguson was definitely one of them. There's obviously no guarantee that he'll do the same this time, but I think it's more likely than him naming an expanded provisional squad. 

I'd forgotten that, but yeah that seems the most likely way it'll be done. Steve Clarke doesn't like dragging players around unnecessarily, we've seen that enough over the camps. With it being summer holiday season and players getting so little time off during the season I think it makes sense to just have a standby list.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Dykes back starting for QPR today. QPR are basically rotating their front players at the moment. 

Hooked off after 59 mins. Reviews are mixed.... 

Screenshot_20240401-182129.png

One of the things I like about Adams is that he has no affiliation with any teams up in Scotland other than the National team. It means the views on him are much fairer, no-one's really in his camp as there aren't any Southampton fans on here to my knowledge so there's little to no self interest.