McBurnie should be a really good player, he has the physical attributes and the ability on the ball, but there is something that hasn't ever clicked for him in his career perhaps mentally, and he's typically ended up making whatever team he played in worse. This has probably been his best season at top flight level, but even then his team are rock bottom, he's only scored four times from open play, and they haven't won in any of the games he's scored in.

It's a similar story for Scotland, 16 caps, and not only has he not scored a goal, but Scotland have only scored once in the entire 750 minutes he's been on the pitch. Cracking penalty in the shoot-out that took us to the Euros though.

I think he falls into the same category as Hardie, Conway etc in that they haven't anything like an outstanding enough season to think about dislodging any of the others from the squad.

Edited by craigkillie

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

McBurnie should be a really good player, he has the physical attributes and the ability on the ball, but there is something that hasn't ever clicked for him in his career perhaps mentally, and he's typically ended up making whatever team he played in worse. This has probably been his best season at top flight level, but even then his team are rock bottom, he's only scored four times from open play, and they haven't won in any of the games he's scored in.

It's a similar story for Scotland, 16 caps, and not only has he not scored a goal, but Scotland have only scored once in the entire 750 minutes he's been on the pitch. Cracking penalty in the shoot-out that took us to the Euros though.

I think he falls into the same category as Hardie, Conway etc in that they haven't anything like an outstanding enough season to think about dislodging any of the others from the squad.

I dont think were in a position to be throwing guys in the bin.

He's scored 6 in 19 in the league this season for the team at the bottom. I think that's pretty good to be fair. And he's playing constantly, so they must be happy with him.

Might not be "amazing" but if thats the bar are any of the current striker's playing amazing?

Be interesting to see the stats of Sheffield Utd's points per game with him starting Vs him not starting.

Whenever he doesn't play their fans are all over twitter saying they have no chance without him

3 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

Be interesting to see the stats of Sheffield Utd's points per game with him starting Vs him not starting.

Whenever he doesn't play their fans are all over twitter saying they have no chance without him

IMG_3842.thumb.jpeg.73367406ff46783c3f1f38b6365e679e.jpeg

Not quite the stats you were looking for but enough to suggest for me

I’m not a fan unfortunately, 6 goals and 2 of those being Pens….. 

So 4 goals from open play in 1,115 mins of action but what is most alarming is his disciplinary record !! 7 yellows and 2 reds - not good 

Does the lad from Leeds deserve another chance? No 

12 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I really don’t see what physical attributes or ability on the ball that he has that should make him a really good player tbh. 

He always looks absolutely woeful on the ball, has a horrific touch and is built like a rake with no pace whatsoever. 

He is good in the air and that’s about it. 

I haven’t watched him recently, so this may have changed I guess - I’ll probably make an effort to watch one of his games soon. 

Ho took his goal against Chelsea extremely well - a decent finish, but more important was the anticipation and movement to be in the right place at the right time, which is something I don't really associate with any of our other striking options.

I don't know that he deserves a call-up as I've not really seen him play this season, but he's obviously playing at the highest level of any of our strikers, so he must surely be in Clarke's thinking.

I've watched him a few times this season and he looks a lot more like the guy Sheffield United bought off Swansea. Back then he was scoring all kinds of goals and was linking up the play well, even if he looked ungainly while doing so. He's still not trying the long range shooting, as far as I've seen so his confidence isn't completely restored, but I'd be happy with him making a comeback. 

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

Your condescending way of speaking is very amusing. However, I would love to know why you think Fraser is not being selected since you haven't really given a real opinion on this?

Thanks, took me a while to perfect my writing style. Below is the timeline as I see it.

Spoiler
  • Nov-21: Ryan Fraser lost any loyalty after 'faking' injury. Fraser and Steve Clarke discussed the situation.
  • Mar-22: Fraser wasn't selected by Clarke due to lack of game time as per the agreement (Mar-22, Jun-22). When he was playing he was selected (Sep-22, Nov-22).
  • Mar-23: He dropped out completely due to lack of game at Newcastle and others moved ahead of him (Mar-23, Jun-23).
  • Aug-23: He is still making a case for a recall at Southampton. He has no loyalty from Clarke, but others in the squad have his loyalty. (Sep-23, Oct-23, Nov-23, Mar-24)

The why? Clarke prefers small, efficient squads. The team was performing well without Fraser to secure qualification for Euro-2024. Clarke's loyal to his existing squad members. I think timing has worked against Fraser as we're building up to Euro-2024. Fraser made an error of judgment, it was dealt with - but he's still paying for it now. Not because Clarke wants to make an example, but because things have moved on in his absence.

I think if he keeps doing well for Southampton then he might get another chance with Scotland. It's notoriously hard to break into the Scotland squad if you've got no loyalty - it took Lawrence Shankland years to get back in. The guys that get straight back in have Clarke's loyalty. Ryan Fraser lost that.

Personally I hope he gets back in, I think he's a great player and has been good for us - so we're on the same page in that respect.

Edited by 2426255

22 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

Dykes is not out of favour at QPR. 

OK he hasn't been banished from the squad, but he is 2nd choice striker and he is definitely out of favour with the fanbase. 
SOme of them accusing him of not trying which I dont believe. It is a shame though, he definitely has contributed for us. I wonder if that pneumonia he had last year has had longer term effects. 

59 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Thanks, took me a while to perfect my writing style. Below is the timeline as I see it.

Reveal hidden contents
  • Nov-21: Ryan Fraser lost any loyalty after 'faking' injury. Fraser and Steve Clarke discussed the situation.
  • Mar-22: Fraser wasn't selected by Clarke due to lack of game time as per the agreement (Mar-22, Jun-22). When he was playing he was selected (Sep-22, Nov-22).
  • Mar-23: He dropped out completely due to lack of game at Newcastle and others moved ahead of him (Mar-23, Jun-23).
  • Aug-23: He is still making a case for a recall at Southampton. He has no loyalty from Clarke, but others in the squad have his loyalty. (Sep-23, Oct-23, Nov-23, Mar-24)

The why? Clarke prefers small, efficient squads. The team was performing well without Fraser to secure qualification for Euro-2024. Clarke's loyal to his existing squad members. I think timing has worked against Fraser as we're building up to Euro-2024. Fraser made an error of judgment, it was dealt with - but he's still paying for it now. Not because Clarke wants to make an example, but because things have moved on in his absence.

I think if he keeps doing well for Southampton then he might get another chance with Scotland. It's notoriously hard to break into the Scotland squad if you've got no loyalty - it took Lawrence Shankland years to get back in. The guys that get straight back in have Clarke's loyalty. Ryan Fraser lost that.

Personally I hope he gets back in, I think he's a great player and has been good for us - so we're on the same page in that respect.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Although we performed well to get points to get qualification, some performances were a little shakey and we could of done with a Fraser type to inject some pace into the team which we really are crying out for at times. 

Clarke not bringing him in is baffling whichever way you look at it considering it is only one more player and he is taking 3 keepers that will never be playing...

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

Although we performed well to get points to get qualification, some performances were a little shakey and we could of done with a Fraser type to inject some pace into the team which we really are crying out for at times. 

Clarke not bringing him in is baffling whichever way you look at it considering it is only one more player and he is taking 3 keepers that will never be playing...

I don't find it baffling. I think it all comes down to loyalty and the foundation that the team is built on, it's a double edged sword for fans. I think the attitude thing was dealt with in 2022 and it's not lingering into current squads except for agreement between Clarke and Fraser. The keeper thing is again probably a loyalty thing. It's hard to argue with Clarke being loyal, because it's such an important part of our success. 

I understand fans don't like it and will continue pan Steve Clarke for it when results are not going great like just now. Fans are predictable in that sense, the troubleshooters come out when we aren't getting results - be that the manager needs to go, the system needs to change or the players need changed.

Why is Steve Clarke loyal to his squad? Ask yourself that and you'll understand why he doesn't just chop and change.

Edited by 2426255

6 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I don't find it baffling. I think it all comes down to loyalty and the foundation that the team is built on, it's a double edged sword for fans. I think the attitude thing was dealt with in 2022 and it's not lingering into current squads except for agreement between Clarke and Fraser. The keeper thing is again probably a loyalty thing. It's hard to argue with Clarke being loyal, because it's such an important part of our success. 

I understand fans don't like it and will continue pan Steve Clarke for it when results are not going great like just now. Fans are predictable in that sense, the troubleshooters come out when we aren't getting results - be that the manager needs to go, the system needs to change or the players need changed.

If we had a team full of loyal jobbers then we would be getting nowhere, loyalty is a very small part of our success and you are very much overstating it. 

We've had the best group of players in decades who are playing at a very good level, Clarke has found a system to get them playing as a team which has gotten us results. 

Let's not pretend every game has been amazing, need to be constantly looking at ways at upgrading the team rather than resting on our laurels which you don't seem to be grasping here. Instead you would rather have a go at fans for questioning Clarke for weird decisions... 

Just now, Butters Scotch said:

If we had a team full of loyal jobbers then we would be getting nowhere, loyalty is a very small part of our success and you are very much overstating it. 

We've had the best group of players in decades who are playing at a very good level, Clarke has found a system to get them playing as a team which has gotten us results. 

Let's not pretend every game has been amazing, need to be constantly looking at ways at upgrading the team rather than resting on our laurels which you don't seem to be grasping here. Instead you would rather have a go at fans for questioning Clarke for weird decisions... 

This isn't football manager. There's more to take into account than just upgrading players and casting the has been's aside. Doak wasn't called up before his injury because there is a human element to managing a squad. Fans always forget that for some reason.

7 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

This isn't football manager. There's more to take into account than just upgrading players and casting the has been's aside. Doak wasn't called up before his injury because there is a human element to managing a squad. Fans always forget that for some reason.

The manager and players aren't human though, they're superhuman!  They never waver in confidence, not even a tiny bit, even after a long winless run. Isn't that right?

2 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

The manager and players aren't human though, they're superhuman!  They never waver in confidence, not even a tiny bit, even after a long winless run. Isn't that right?

I think confidence is overstated as it's an intangible factor - as you know and iirc you don't agree with. They've all been in the game long enough to know there are ups and downs, not everything goes the way you want it to. That's probably why it's important not to just rip it up after a period of relative success because of a 'winless' run and show that loyalty because there are always ups and downs. 

I think loyalty comes from Clarke so has more to do with the players having earned their places through performance for the National team rather than specifically a confidence or belief thing. That's where the loyalty comes in for me. A reward for performing or for turning up in the case of Liam Kelly. More loyalty, trust and team spirit than confidence although the latter is definitely a by product for players having difficulties at club level like Kieran Tierney or Scott McTominay. 

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I think confidence is overstated as it's an intangible factor - as you know and iirc you don't agree with. They've all been in the game long enough to know there are ups and downs, not everything goes the way you want it to. That's probably why it's important not to just rip it up after a period of relative success because of a 'winless' run and show that loyalty because there are always ups and downs. 

I think loyalty comes from Clarke so has more to do with the players having earned their places through performance for the National team rather than specifically a confidence or belief thing. That's where the loyalty comes in for me. A reward for performing or for turning up in the case of Liam Kelly. More loyalty, trust and team spirit than confidence although the latter is definitely a by product for players having difficulties at club level like Kieran Tierney or Scott McTominay. 

What a load of rubbish...

Confidence is a huge thing in football, it's not overstated at all. I'll give you two examples... a winger being low on confidence will tend to play the safe option or start hiding in games where if more positive, they can create goals. A striker deciding he doesn't want to take penalties cause he's missed one already and fearing to take on the responsbility again. 

It's not just about not winning games but we've also been very fortunate in games where we did win that could of went the other way. You're not ripping anything up by replacing one or two players in the squad or team...

You can't just rely on players who have played well for the national team where the players only play a small and limited amount of games through the year and not everyone is able to get an opportunity to break in. 

So Liam Kelly is picked for squads for showing loyalty? Sorry but he is only here due to a severe lack of other options, simple as.