Oldest football ground?

Not sure if this is the correct place for this question, but couldn't see a more obvious place, so here goes.

What is the oldest football ground in Scotland?

I was googling it, but couldn't find much of a definitive answer.  

By this I mean, a football ground that has been played on continuously since its establishment, that has hosted football the whole time (not rugby, cricket, whatever), and has hosted professional or semi-professional teams.  So Juniors would count.  And also, the ground is in the same place it was to begin with, or at least overlaps with the original location.

My brief searching suggests it might be Cappielow?  But I fully anticipate getting shot down about that.... ( Some sources mention Tannadice, though I don't think it was used by any first class teams in its first few years.)

5 hours ago, Braesoyetts said:

Not sure if this is the correct place for this question, but couldn't see a more obvious place, so here goes.

What is the oldest football ground in Scotland?

I was googling it, but couldn't find much of a definitive answer.  

By this I mean, a football ground that has been played on continuously since its establishment, that has hosted football the whole time (not rugby, cricket, whatever), and has hosted professional or semi-professional teams.  So Juniors would count.  And also, the ground is in the same place it was to begin with, or at least overlaps with the original location.

My brief searching suggests it might be Cappielow?  But I fully anticipate getting shot down about that.... ( Some sources mention Tannadice, though I don't think it was used by any first class teams in its first few years.)

Tannadice still isn't used by a first class team...

I would have hazarded a guess at Rugby Park or Stair Park.

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig

I suppose you could be pedantic and say the oldest extant grounds where football was played are:

Two cricket pitches were used early on: Hamilton Crescent (1862). Not much football there though. Titwood (1876) was used by Queen's Park for a season (where they beat Aston Villa 6-1 in the FA Cup!) and early Glasgow team Clydesdale. 

Similarly a few Glasgow clubs started on Glasgow Green where there is still a football pitch.

The East Meadows, laid out in the 18th Century, and where Hearts and Hibs started, has also not been built on. Sometimes students have a kick about there. Or at least they used to, it seems a lot of tossers use it for Quidditch these days. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/03/2024 at 14:34, SlipperyP said:

Have been reading random grounds visited the last few days.  one of the groundhoppers said it was Larkhall thistle, gasworks. 1881.

vale of leven is 1888

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larkhall_Thistle_F.C.

edit again Cappielow was 1879

Cappielow Park, home to Greenock Morton FC, is indeed one of the contenders. It has hosted football matches since the mid-19th century and continues to do so today. However, the exact timeline of its continuous use for football may vary in historical records.

Tannadice Park, the home ground of Dundee United FC, is also often mentioned in discussions about the oldest football grounds. While it may not have hosted first-class teams in its early years, its longevity in football history is notable.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

Edit: Cappielow Park, home to Greenock Morton FC, is indeed one of the contenders. It has hosted football matches since the mid-19th century and continues to do so today. However, the exact timeline of its continuous use for football may vary in historical records.

Tannadice Park, the home ground of Dundee United FC, is also often mentioned in discussions about the oldest football grounds. While it may not have hosted first-class teams in its early years, its longevity in football history is notable.

Edited by TimothyCopeland

Not quite as old as Cappilow, but Arbroath have been continuously at Gayfield since 1881.

The pitch was moved in 1925, but still overlaps the old pitch to an extent. The West goal was roughly where the players tunnel is now, and the North touchline was parallel with (and very close to) the wall opposite old Ladyloan School