Livi v Celtic (Kieran Airns RIP)

The Lions take on Celtic at Almondvale tommorow,noon kick off.......

An 18th minute applause will be held in memory of young Kieran Airns who recently lost his life to Leukemia 😢

His family had connection's to both clubs 💛🖤🤝💚🤍

Edited by Dav nan Gael

I'm probably going to get a heap of red for this, but I'm not a fan at all of minutes silences for fans. It feels ghoulish at worst and trite at best. Fans die, which is sad for their families, but isn't something other fans should be expected to commemorate.

1 minute ago, velo army said:

I'm probably going to get a heap of red for this, but I'm not a fan at all of minutes silences for fans. It feels ghoulish at worst and trite at best. Fans die, which is sad for their families, but isn't something other fans should be expected to commemorate.

Get a grip of yourself,a young man has tragically lost his life ffs......plus its a minutes applause and he had connection's to both clubs.

1 minute ago, Dav nan Gael said:

Get a grip of yourself,a young man has tragically lost his life ffs......plus its a minutes applause and he had connection's to both clubs.

Yes and the commemoration has no place at a football match. Let it be a private matter for his family. People go to the football, I think, to escape from life a wee bit, not to be reminded that young people can die of cancer or that natural disasters are a thing.

I'm also not sure what "connections" with two clubs mean or why if should matter. Having minutes applauses and silences should be for legendary club players or managers who have passed. All others are inappropriate to football.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, velo army said:

Yes and the commemoration has no place at a football match. Let it be a private matter for his family. People go to the football, I think, to escape from life a wee bit, not to be reminded that young people can die of cancer or that natural disasters are a thing.

I'm also not sure what "connections" with two clubs mean or why if should matter. Having minutes applauses and silences should be for legendary club players or managers who have passed. All others are inappropriate to football.

Your entitled to your opinion,but in these circumstances,I'm sure the majority on here and at the game tommorow will show they're respects,like the human beings they are.........

Edited by Dav nan Gael

I was initially in full agreement with velo army, this kind of thing happens far too often.

Firstly though, it’s different to the ‘club legend’ shout. That would be done before the game to bring everyone’s attention, whereas this is during the match and not going to be particularly distracting for anyone.

This is also where “you’ve only got 10 fans” comes home to roost. One of ours has died and it’s much more likely that he was known to a greater proportion of our fan base than one fan at a bigger club. I didn’t know him but it’s definitely very sad that a teenage boy has passed away, and I can imagine his family are pretty devastated. If clapping makes his family feel a bit better - I hope whoever came up with the idea checked with them first - then who does it harm? 

2 hours ago, Dav nan Gael said:

Your entitled to your opinion,but in these circumstances,I'm sure the majority on here and at the game tommorow will show they're respects,like the human beings they are.........

I don’t think it was @velo army’s intention to suggest they wouldn’t show their respects. I’m sure they certainly would.

I feel I have a shared opinion somewhat. There are quite regular minutes applauses at Ibrox. Often you don’t know who they are for or what the circumstances are so it doesn’t really feel personal. Although it’s a good point that it will likely be different for a community club like Livi so do appreciate why it is happening.

Edited by AJF

I'd rather be showing a minutes applause respect to the passing of a fellow Livi/football fan than the multiple ones we had for Royal family members passing away from old age. I really don't mind when it's ex players, managers, or someone connected to the club in the background in some capacity, or fans, at least they're all connected to football in some form. Why should a fan be any less important than an ex player club legend, fans are there supporting the club long after players and managers have left, sad that this Livingston fan passed away so young too.

Also like the applause being set during the game, though if the ball is out of play i wonder if the players will join in, would be a nice touch.

The Livi support will show their collective respect for one of our own. Wether Celtic fans join in is completely up to them and I for one respect their right not to if they so wish.Regardless,RIP Keiran 🙏 🦁💛.

Obviously i have no dog in this fight, but i think when "one of our own" passes, especially at such a young age, it's right to commemorate their life, obviously with the blessing of the family. RIP young man. 

10 hours ago, velo army said:

It's not a minute's silence, it's not even before the kick off, so what's the relevance of your post?

8 minutes ago, GordonS said:

It's not a minute's silence, it's not even before the kick off, so what's the relevance of your post?

I didn't say anything about being before the game. If you understand what relevance means then you'll see what relevance my post had.

It seems that the Livi fans on here are on favour of it and I accept that them not being great in number makes them more willing to engage in this. Fair play. It's not a hill I'm willing to fight tooth and nail to defend and I accept it isn't my place to tell Livi fans how they should approach this. I can see how that was insensitive of me.

I hope you pump the plastics tomorrow.

16 minutes ago, velo army said:

I didn't say anything about being before the game. If you understand what relevance means then you'll see what relevance my post had.

It seems that the Livi fans on here are on favour of it and I accept that them not being great in number makes them more willing to engage in this. Fair play. It's not a hill I'm willing to fight tooth and nail to defend and I accept it isn't my place to tell Livi fans how they should approach this. I can see how that was insensitive of me.

I hope you pump the plastics tomorrow.

You called it a minute's silence. Those only ever happen before kick off. Are you sure you didn't just make a mistake about the nature of the tribute tomorrow?

I don't know why you've presumed I'm a Livi fan either, though I share your hopes for how tomorrow's game goes as all decent people do.

8 hours ago, AJF said:

I don’t think it was @velo army’s intention to suggest they wouldn’t show their respects. I’m sure they certainly would.

I feel I have a shared opinion somewhat. There are quite regular minutes applauses at Ibrox. Often you don’t know who they are for or what the circumstances are so it doesn’t really feel personal. Although it’s a good point that it will likely be different for a community club like Livi so do appreciate why it is happening.

Rangers and Celtic fans should have no opinion on these sensitive matters considering their lack of respect of anything. 

These applauses are mostly for the benefit of the grieving family and friends who you assume are in attendance. In this specific case, the young age at death of Kieran Airns makes it especially worthy of a moment's thought.

That some other clubs may overdo these gestures isn't relevant here as I only remember one other occasion in recent seasons where this was done at Livi.

I'm for fan empowerment at football and I support actions which foster collective spirit or a sense of community. Marking the passing of someone who mattered to local people fits that.

What I push back against are the mandated minute silences before matches. A few years back at Livi we were forced to endure a minute's silence when the Leicester City chairman died. Nobody in Leicester gives a toss about Livi and the dead billionaire wouldn't even have heard of us. 

I get where velo army is coming from. I always feel a little uncomfortable with them, purely because any applause feels a bit insincere. If it gives the grieving family some comfort I suppose it’s harmless, but they’re not really for me.