League split - good or bad ?

I have only been following Scottish football closely for a year or so. I am still undecided about the league split . It just seems so alien to me .

Is it an improvement on what happened before i.e no split and teams playing each other 4 times a year ?

Is there any appetite to do away with the split ?

I'm expecting the response to depend heavily on wether you support a top 6 team or not .

The split was designed to make sure Sky could get 4 borefests involving the Glasgow business partners. The fact that the bottom six is normally much more interesting than the top six is a happy coincidence but as TV companies usually ignore the more exciting games says it all. 

1 minute ago, CambieBud said:

The split was designed to make sure Sky could get 4 borefests involving the Glasgow business partners. 

Wouldn't the rangers and celtic play each other 4 times anyway, without the split ?

5 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

The split was designed to make sure Sky could get 4 borefests involving the Glasgow business partners. The fact that the bottom six is normally much more interesting than the top six is a happy coincidence but as TV companies usually ignore the more exciting games says it all. 

They used to play each other 4 times when we had a 10-team league before the split was introduced.

3 minutes ago, Jastons6 said:

Wouldn't the rangers and celtic play each other 4 times anyway, without the split ?

Only if you assume that they would accept a 44 game season, which they wouldn’t. 

It's nonsensical in many ways, but makes sense for us due to the peculiarities of the game up here.

Looking forward to only our second season in a decade in this "bottom six" thing.

5 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

Only if you assume that they would accept a 44 game season, which they wouldn’t. 

Ok. So the alternative - a 44 game season - isn't something that most clubs / fans want ?

10 minutes ago, Jastons6 said:

Ok. So the alternative - a 44 game season - isn't something that most clubs / fans want ?

There were a couple of 44 match seasons (late 80s?) and they weren't popular. The split is a compromise for having a 12 team division.

It is excellent for the bottom six, play everyone 3 times then a five match play off with your peers.  It’s never quite as interesting in the top six but the principle is the same.

10 minutes ago, Jastons6 said:

No it isn't. 

Playing the same 11 opponents 4 times in a league season can become tedious. 

46 minutes ago, Jastons6 said:

I have only been following Scottish football closely for a year or so. I am still undecided about the league split . It just seems so alien to me .

Is it an improvement on what happened before i.e no split and teams playing each other 4 times a year ?

Is there any appetite to do away with the split ?

I'm expecting the response to depend heavily on wether you support a top 6 team or not .

It’s good. Adds extra excitement and meaning to the league.

14 minutes ago, Jastons6 said:

Nope.

Plenty of supporters would be happy with, say, an 18 team division playing each other home and away or 16 teams and playoffs but broadcasters simply won't accept two less Old Firms a season.

A 44 game season with the size of squad and budget most teams in Scotland run with wouldht be at all feasible IMO.

21 minutes ago, sfha said:

There were a couple of 44 match seasons (late 80s?) and they weren't popular. The split is a compromise for having a 12 team division.

Was there?  I can't recall that at all......far too many games (I also think 38 is too many and would be happier with say a 14 team division with a 6-8 split......resulting in either 31 or 36 games (play all twice then once or twice post split.)