All Scottish ties in UEFA competitions?

JS_FFC

It’s highly unlikely that two Scottish clubs would meet in European competitions these days because UEFA prevent such clashes until the quarter finals.

I’m not sure how long that rule has been in place though and in any case, Scottish clubs used to perform a lot better than they have for the past 30 years.

Have we ever seen Scottish clubs play each other in UEFA competitions?

10 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

It’s highly unlikely that two Scottish clubs would meet in European competitions these days because UEFA prevent such clashes until the quarter finals.

I’m not sure how long that rule has been in place though and in any case, Scottish clubs used to perform a lot better than they have for the past 30 years.

No.

If Hibs had beaten Leeds Utd in the 3rd round of the 67-68 Fairs Cup they'd have played Rangers in the QF, and if Rangers had beaten Leeds Utd in that tie they'd have played Dundee in the SF.

Edited by GordonS

On 13/04/2024 at 18:58, JS_FFC said:

A categorical no, I'm afraid.

On 14/04/2024 at 04:50, GordonS said:

No.

If Hibs had beaten Leeds Utd in the 3rd round of the 67-68 Fairs Cup they'd have played Rangers in the QF, and if Rangers had beaten Leeds Utd in that tie they'd have played Dundee in the SF.

This has come up on here before, but in the case of Hibs v Leeds the draw hadn't been made yet when the first team were knocked out. Based on the history of the competition, it seems plausible to me that there was an element of "country protection" in this tournament which would have made it less likely (or even impossible) they were drawn together. The semi-final draw had been made before Rangers lost to Leeds though, so that was definitely a narrow miss.

In the entire 13 years that the Fairs Cup was played, there were only 3 occasions where two clubs from the same country faced each other. One was in the 1961/62 final where it was obviously unavoidable, another was the 1965/66 quarter-final, when there were 3 Spanish and 2 English clubs left and it might have been considered a bit much effort to "rig" the draw, and the final one was in the 1970/71 semi-final when Leeds and Liverpool were drawn together.

There were substantial oddities in the draws of this competition - for example in Round 2 in 1969/70 there were 4 English and 4 Portuguese clubs left and they were all drawn against each other. Similarly all 4 German clubs were drawn against all 4 Italian clubs.

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 00.27.11.png

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 00.29.15.png

22 hours ago, craigkillie said:

This has come up on here before, but in the case of Hibs v Leeds the draw hadn't been made yet when the first team were knocked out. Based on the history of the competition, it seems plausible to me that there was an element of "country protection" in this tournament which would have made it less likely (or even impossible) they were drawn together. The semi-final draw had been made before Rangers lost to Leeds though, so that was definitely a narrow miss.

I cannot find thread but I've a feeling this point arose years ago and Dunfermline + Hearts in 1965-66 was the only occasion 2 non-OF clubs got each other in a draw.

Might be mistaken though.

53 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I cannot find thread but I've a feeling this point arose years ago and Dunfermline + Hearts in 1965-66 was the only occasion 2 non-OF clubs got each other in a draw.

Might be mistaken though.

Wikipedia has got them both going out to Zaragoza in consecutive rounds. Are you saying that the QF draw was made before the last 16 was played, such that a Hearts win over Zaragoza would have mean they’d have played Dunfermline?

56 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Wikipedia has got them both going out to Zaragoza in consecutive rounds. Are you saying that the QF draw was made before the last 16 was played, such that a Hearts win over Zaragoza would have mean they’d have played Dunfermline?

Exactly, indeed it must have been... Hearts v Zaragoza went to a playoff that wasn't held until 2 months after 2nd leg, and was effectively simultaneous with QFs starting.

European Champions' Cup and Fairs' Cup 1965-66 - Details (rsssf.org)

image.thumb.png.58c9731561e98cad16915572e5d88992.png

image.png.02db0a9e136452b29b0baca34a919d64.png

Edited by HibeeJibee