Airdrieonians vs The Champions - 26/04/24

Looking like this will be our highest league attendance in our final league game,  around 2k tickets sold to United,  hopefully we can break 3.5k. Need home fans to turn up though..

Another live game on the TV , to be fair to the much maligned BBC they provide great coverage of our league and Falkirk cannot mean either.. they have the ALBA Saturday teatime slot pinned down..

43 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Looking like this will be our highest league attendance in our final league game,  around 2k tickets sold to United,  hopefully we can break 3.5k. Need home fans to turn up though..

Another live game on the TV , to be fair to the much maligned BBC they provide great coverage of our league and Falkirk cannot mean either.. they have the ALBA Saturday teatime slot pinned down..

Not being a smart arse but what's the issue with Airdie getting a crowd because that would be a shit gate for a game like that given your position? Has it been like that post Broomfield?

26 minutes ago, Rammit Bawdeep said:

Not being a smart arse but what's the issue with Airdie getting a crowd because that would be a shit gate for a game like that given your position? Has it been like that post Broomfield?

Dont worry couple weeks time against thistle the main stand will probably be full then disappear after the playoffs  

13 minutes ago, Rammit Bawdeep said:

A culmination of things. Moving to Broadwood when the new stadium was being built put a few off. The 10 year stint in league one watching absolute garbage didn’t help either. It’s only really since McCabe’s tenure that our support has crept up slightly. 

Just like every other club in the central belt, we’re constantly competing with the ugly sisters to encourage younger and new fans to come along. The club have done really well to move away from the ‘section b’ image that every other club in the country has of us. Hopefully better days to come 

17 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

A culmination of things. Moving to Broadwood when the new stadium was being built put a few off. The 10 year stint in league one watching absolute garbage didn’t help either. It’s only really since McCabe’s tenure that our support has crept up slightly. 

Just like every other club in the central belt, we’re constantly competing with the ugly sisters to encourage younger and new fans to come along. The club have done really well to move away from the ‘section b’ image that every other club in the country has of us. Hopefully better days to come 

I remember back in the 90's you having , in my head anyway, a similar support to Falkirk and as you say had a bit of a hardman image. 

Now you seem on par with a Stenhouemuir for support, Where did they all go ?

10 minutes ago, Arab_R_us said:

I remember back in the 90's you having , in my head anyway, a similar support to Falkirk and as you say had a bit of a hardman image. 

Now you seem on par with a Stenhouemuir for support, Where did they all go ?

Come on now, I think comparing us with Stenny is a bit of push. 

In all honesty? The majority of the fans from the 90’s are probably deed. I remember there being a contingent of oldies who must’ve been in their late 60’s/early 70’s back then who are most likely no longer with us. 

Don’t get me wrong, we can still pull in 2.5k for a big cup game or playoff push so there are more out there 

Just now, Diamond1924 said:

Come on now, I think comparing us with Stenny is a bit of push. 

In all honesty? The majority of the fans from the 90’s are probably deed. I remember there being a contingent of oldies who must’ve been in their late 60’s/early 70’s back then who are most likely no longer with us. 

Don’t get me wrong, we can still pull in 2.5k for a big cup game or playoff push so there are more out there 

ok thats more then Stenny then 😀

We had nearly 3500 in the home end for the Hearts cup game. So far this season our total crowds are averaging under the 2k mark, noticeably higher than last season (1200ish) due to increased away support and the home end lifting from 900-1100 to 1200-1400 depending on the opponent. 

As said the move to Broadwood did us no favours, too long in League One, the older fans passing on, maybe fans moving away from the area for work (Boots, Imperial Steelworks, Pye all closing) and not being in the town as much... 

In recent years there has been a lot of new builds and potential fans coming into and growing up in the town - some might "bring a team with them" but also the potential for new folks to identify with their local club. 

There was a bit of an uncertainty and a lot going on behind the scenes re ownership/fans trust etc... a few years ago, that didn't translate well to supporters and I guess potential sponsors/partners (?), in recent times there has been a stability in the ownership, much more connection with the community and businesses again which has been positive for the fans, sponsors and perception of the club. 

58 minutes ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

We had nearly 3500 in the home end for the Hearts cup game

Crowd was 6,555 and Hearts sold around 4,300 - so more like 2,200 Airdrie fans which sounds more realistic unless I've missed something? 

51 minutes ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

We had nearly 3500 in the home end for the Hearts cup game. So far this season our total crowds are averaging under the 2k mark, noticeably higher than last season (1200ish) due to increased away support and the home end lifting from 900-1100 to 1200-1400 depending on the opponent. 

As said the move to Broadwood did us no favours, too long in League One, the older fans passing on, maybe fans moving away from the area for work (Boots, Imperial Steelworks, Pye all closing) and not being in the town as much... 

In recent years there has been a lot of new builds and potential fans coming into and growing up in the town - some might "bring a team with them" but also the potential for new folks to identify with their local club. 

There was a bit of an uncertainty and a lot going on behind the scenes re ownership/fans trust etc... a few years ago, that didn't translate well to supporters and I guess potential sponsors/partners (?), in recent times there has been a stability in the ownership, much more connection with the community and businesses again which has been positive for the fans, sponsors and perception of the club. 

The crowd debate comes up now and again,  (don't mention Falkirk FFS) main reason is finance,  we have the lowest crowd in the league 1814 ? ISH,  good for us from where we have been,  sniggers coming from the clubs who constantly post crazy losses and are in the same league,  enough of the points scoring..

Airdrie can blame the old firm,  why our crowds are low etc,I think it's irrelevant everybody has a choice , I would say most towns in Scotland could throw that line out it's been done to death.    We had 650 or so diehards when we were struggling in L1 and even they were on the drift,   crowds now being 1300est home fans and there is signs of a little apathy creeping in now as well IMO..

We are punching way above our weight and could still although unlikely be in the Premier next season,,    and need to build again to compete next season 

Onto next season with Falkirk probably going to spunk OUR money like a drunken sailor and no Part Time possible ringer in the league it is going to be cut throat...

Let's never forget what we have achieved this season,  staying in the Championship year on year is going to be very tough for Airdrie moving forward ..

2 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Crowd was 6,555 and Hearts sold around 4,300 - so more like 2,200 Airdrie fans which sounds more realistic unless I've missed something? 

That crowd was quoted don't know if that was a turnstile number or. An online sold number , I had heard we had sold 7800 a couple of hours prior to kickoff, apart from North Stand and section at Centre stand for hospitality the rest was pretty well full, give or take a few randoms ..

15 minutes ago, Passionate said:

The crowd debate comes up now and again,  (don't mention Falkirk FFS) main reason is finance,  we have the lowest crowd in the league 1814 ? ISH,  good for us from where we have been,  sniggers coming from the clubs who constantly post crazy losses and are in the same league,  enough of the points scoring..

Airdrie can blame the old firm,  why our crowds are low etc,I think it's irrelevant everybody has a choice , I would say most towns in Scotland could throw that line out it's been done to death.    We had 650 or so diehards when we were struggling in L1 and even they were on the drift,   crowds now being 1300est home fans and there is signs of a little apathy creeping in now as well IMO..

We are punching way above our weight and could still although unlikely be in the Premier next season,,    and need to build again to compete next season 

Onto next season with Falkirk probably going to spunk OUR money like a drunken sailor and no Part Time possible ringer in the league it is going to be cut throat...

Let's never forget what we have achieved this season,  staying in the Championship year on year is going to be very tough for Airdrie moving forward ..

yeah but my point is in the 90's you had how many times that number?  5x 6x  not sure  ?

Is there another club in Scotland that has lost such a big % of their following ? Cant think of one

22 minutes ago, Arab_R_us said:

yeah but my point is in the 90's you had how many times that number?  5x 6x  not sure  ?

Is there another club in Scotland that has lost such a big % of their following ? Cant think of one

In the 90s we were getting decent crowds at old Broomfield,  Home supports were never great we then as we do now rely on large away followings to swell our average..

I would say looking back maybe 2.5k max home support in those days in the Premier League,  although the old firm games tended to be very busy with a fair few old firm ending up in our end swelling our numbers..

1 hour ago, Arab_R_us said:

Yeh might be true, but as you will see from this thread it hasn't stopped Falkirk's fans obsessing on us. 

50 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Yeh might be true, but as you will see from this thread it hasn't stopped Falkirk's fans obsessing on us. 

I respect clubs with good supports. That why I despise clubs like st johnston and livingston

2 hours ago, Arab_R_us said:

I think this possibly gets blown out of proportion a bit. I’m not sure our core support this season is that much less than it was say in the 80s when we were a middling First Division team. Difference in those days was certain games might attract more casual fans; Broomfield being in the middle of the town certainly helped and obviously it was much cheaper, but it’s not like we had a core of 5-6k coming to the games every week.

At least our attendance figures are heading in the right direction after a decade+ in the wilderness and I think if we were to ever play top league football again (fingers crossed) we would get a few more folk coming back, and draw bigger crowds than the likes of Livingston and Hamilton did anyway.

3 hours ago, Passionate said:

That crowd was quoted don't know if that was a turnstile number or. An online sold number , I had heard we had sold 7800 a couple of hours prior to kickoff, apart from North Stand and section at Centre stand for hospitality the rest was pretty well full, give or take a few randoms ..

Bang on, that 6555 number on the BBC website after the game was well under the crowd inside the ground, as you alluded to just shy of 7800. 

1 hour ago, Arab_R_us said:

I respect clubs with good supports. That why I despise clubs like st johnston and livingston

Not for me that thinking, each to their own though. 

I dislike certain clubs more than others, but it's nothing to do with their lack of support, because well I know the feeling! On your criteria you would then dislike us if we got promoted, or Arbroath if they'd done so etc...etc... 

I am sure most if not all clubs try and get more fans, backing etc...and some will find that not easy. Simply dismissing clubs by a lack of crowds despite their ability to perform at a higher level I don't agree with.