Replays in the Scottish Cup (little fuss compared to down south when they disappeared)

I note the recent negative reaction when the powers-that-be announced the end of replays in all rounds of the EFA Cup.

Up here, we just seemed to drift away from them following Covid, without any real fuss or objections.

It then got me thinking that Scottish Cup replays offered some memorable occasions.  Even in recent times, AFC won midweekers under the lights at Ibrox and twice at Rugby Park following home draws (in more ways than one).

I have no issue with penalties to settle a one-off League Cup tie, but replays were something that differentiated the Scottish Cup.  Tough away draw, but do enough to get them back to your place.

Clearly the European fixture list isn't too compatible with extra domestic cup matches, but more often than not these fixtures are pre-christmas. Was the demise of replays just another example of helping a couple of clubs to the detriment of everyone else?

I think it’s definitely a different dynamic between Scotland and England in this regard. This is only my view, but up here, a genuinely wee club who makes it to a round where the big teams come in, actively prays for the uglies away - if they’re thinking nothing more than money and an inevitable scudding. I don’t think their mindset is, if they drew an ugly at home, ‘get a draw here for a money spinning replay’. Maybe a wee club up here, if they can’t get an ugly away, would take Hearts or Hibs, maybe Aberdeen, as the ‘next best thing’.

Down there, no need to list the clubs who, if a genuinely wee club got them away, would be great from a money aspect - never mind your ‘Big 6’, throw in your Newcastle Utds, West Hams, and so on. Christ, drawing Leeds United or Leicester away would be great for a wee diddy down there. If they got a Leeds, Leicester, or Everton say at home, a smaller club there would likely fancy their chances too, as the big clubs down there seem to rest a lot of first team players. They can sniff taking a big club back to a big Championship or Premier League stadium.

Just my opinion. 

You used to get some mental sagas in the FA Cup. I seem to remember Everton being involved in a tie that took in something daft like five replays. Everyone just heartsick of the whole thing by the time it's over.

During harsh winters we'd also have the daft scenario of games being called off multiple times. Wasn't there an early-stage Scottish Cup game in the Eighties that had something like thirty postponements? I seem to remember Huntly being involved, and it made the national news in England when it was finally played.

4 minutes ago, BFTD said:

You used to get some mental sagas in the FA Cup. I seem to remember Everton being involved in a tie that took in something daft like five replays. Everyone just heartsick of the whole thing by the time it's over.

During harsh winters we'd also have the daft scenario of games being called off multiple times. Wasn't there an early-stage Scottish Cup game in the Eighties that had something like thirty postponements? I seem to remember Huntly being involved, and it made the national news in England when it was finally played.

Inverness Thistle v Falkirk, 1979. 29 postponements.

1 minute ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Inverness Thistle v Falkirk, 1979. 29 postponements.

Mental. I'm too young to remember that, so there must have been something similar during the Eighties. I can remember Trevor MacDonald using it as the final "here's something funny to finish on" story one night.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Mental. I'm too young to remember that, so there must have been something similar during the Eighties. I can remember Trevor MacDonald using it as the final "here's something funny to finish on" story one night.

Ross County V Meadowbank in maybe late eighties early nineties had 11 postponements.

Edited by CountyinBorders