Euro 2024 Expectations

Euro 2024 Expectations  

130 members have voted

1. 1. What are your expectations ahead of the tournament

• No Expectations
    • We’ve already met my expectations by qualifying. Anything else is a bonus.
    • To perform well, be competitive and not embarrass ourselves having made the tournament.
    • To qualify from the group.
    • To reach the later stages of the Tournament.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/05/24 at 21:00

36 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

The majority of his 43 caps have come at LCB, plus his first season and a half at Arsenal.

Bollocks, he played there a few times. He's played 210 club games in his career, so you think at least 100 were centre back.

If Robertson didn't exist where would Tierney play for us? You know the answer.

Oliver Giroud im assuming is also now a goalkeeper?

I know we all go down the rabbit-hole at various times on various threads but so many animated debates in the TA section are directly attributed to attempts by posters to be seen to own other posters. A true window into IRL behaviours and social functioning 🤣

In terms of expectations thanks for all the replies and votes. The poll closes in four days, but I doubt it will change much. ~25% of participants have their expectations set at Scotland qualifying from Group A while ~75% of people aren't necessarily expecting Scotland to qualify from the group.

Factors affecting that are probably uncertainty due to injuries and reduced belief due to the 'winless' run and perhaps Germany improving recently. I think the fanbase is in a decent place personally if they aren't expecting to qualify. I said when I posted the thread that I think getting out of Group A should be the aim, but not a minimum expectation - even if we had won our last 5 games and had no injury concerns I'd still hold that view.

Overall pretty happy with where this board is at as a whole. 

Sounds like some of our group rivals are also having injury concerns.

For Switzerland centre back Fabian Schar has a hamstring and will miss at least the rest of the club season for Newcastle, holding midfielder Denis Zakaria is also a doubt and forward Breel Embolo is just coming off a torn ACL.

On the Hungarian side 34 year old 52 cap veteran Attila Fiola has a shoulder and whilst he has been named in their squad for now, his participation is unclear. 

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Sounds like some of our group rivals are also having injury concerns.

For Switzerland centre back Fabian Schar has a hamstring and will miss at least the rest of the club season for Newcastle, holding midfielder Denis Zakaria is also a doubt and forward Breel Embolo is just coming off a torn ACL.

On the Hungarian side 34 year old 52 cap veteran Attila Fiola has a shoulder and whilst he has been named in their squad for now, his participation is unclear. 

Not sure about the other players but Schar got on last night, think Howe suggested in the papers little while ago he was still injured and Schar rebuted that comment saying he is fine and will make the euros

Edited by Butters Scotch

55 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

Not sure about the other players but Schar got on last night, think Howe suggested in the papers little while ago he was still injured and Schar rebuted that comment saying he is fine and will make the euros

Was just going to say Schar looked absolutely fine last night, albeit I didn't see the last few minutes of the game so maybe something happened in that time.

None of the above.

(I voted later stages of the tournament)

I expect us to win Euro 24.

If any of the players don't genuinely believe they can win the entire thing, they shouldn't be on the plane to Germany.

If Greece can do it...

14 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

None of the above.

If any of the players don't genuinely believe they can win the entire thing, they shouldn't be on the plane to Germany.

If Greece can do it...

Get aff that glue

dance moms lol GIF by Lifetime

Posted (edited)

Plus, I would fully expect Steve Clarke to be saying that to the players.

The players are going there to compete. It's not a holiday.

Leicester City were 5000-1 to win the EPL.

Greece were 150-1 to win. Scotland are 125-1.

Being mocked for expecting Scotland to achieve . Yeah. Well. Guess that's why we're still owned by England.

"Ridicule is the tribute given to the genius by the mediocrities" ~ Oscar Wilde

Edited by SlayerX

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, bleedingums said:

And a new troll was born. It’s a modern day miracleFashion Show Trolls GIF by brittany bartley

Been here for 14 years, mate. 11 years longer than you.

Expecting Scotland to win Euro 24 makes me a Troll?

OK. Good luck with that.

Namaste.

Edited by SlayerX

1 hour ago, SlayerX said:

Been here for 24 years, mate. 21 years longer than you.

Expecting Scotland to win Euro 24 makes me a Troll?

OK. Good luck with that.

Namaste.

You are definitely that "GilmourFan" guy from the TAMB. 

'Expecting' Scotland to win Euro 24 is just ludicrous man and obvious troll like behaviour

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

You are definitely that "GilmourFan" guy from the TAMB. 

'Expecting' Scotland to win Euro 24 is just ludicrous man and obvious troll like behaviour

Aye, alright Scotty2Hotty.

Been here longer than you, mate.

Acting the hard case here, too, I see.

Is the new username supposed to be irony? Butters is a lovely, kind hearted little guy. Whereas you're a... well... I'll leave the sophomoric insults to you.

I got banned because they thought I was you. Oh well. As long as they took you down, too, I'm cool with it.

If you legit don't think Scotland won't win then don't bother watching. What's happening in Eastenders? How's Loftie?

"Someone has an opinion that's different from mine = troll"

I'm offering you a kindness with this reply. It's a one-off. I hope you appreciate it.

Namaste.

Edited by SlayerX

4 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

Is the new username supposed to be irony? Butters is a lovely, kind hearted little guy. Whereas you're a... well... I'll leave the sophomoric insults to you.

I got banned because they thought I was you. Oh well. As long as they took you down, too, I'm cool with it.

If you legit don't think Scotland won't win then don't bother watching. What's happening in Eastenders? How's Loftie?

I'm offering you a kindness with this reply. It's a one-off. I hope you appreciate it.

Namaste.

GIF by Steve Harvey TV

6 hours ago, SlayerX said:

None of the above.

If Greece can do it...

if the tournament came immediately after the Spain home game, when we were playing really well, had no major injuries to speak of, and were v much on an upward trajectory then yes, we would be going into the Euros with high expectations. However we have too many injuries just now, are in patchy form and just don't think the team will be able to have the same fluidity, tempo or confidence. I think our performance at the Germany game will give us a good idea as to whether we are looking to progress to the knock-out rounds and make a mark...

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, SlayerX said:

"Someone has an opinion that's different from mine = troll"

Namaste.

lol. Well that explains that then. I had thought it odd to have a few new posters having signed up in a short space of time and just assumed it was related to Scotland being at Euro 2024. Bans from the Tartan Army Message Board explains it though - to be fair you've got @Butters Scotch/Sand Dancer character spot on. Objectively speaking, he's been a poor addition over here and brings nothing of value.

Edited by 2426255