Alloa Athletic FC V Hamilton Academicals

1 hour ago, Rory said:

Did the linesman on the near side collect coupons to officiate a game? How was that tackle on Sutherland not at least a yellow card? Couple of other poor decisions as well. Ball looked over the line near the end too.

Fairly decent game of football for a dead rubber. We had the better chances first half.

I'd like to see Cammy at left back next week. I praised Sutherlands defending last week but his defending defensive positioning was poor today, OHara had acres of space every time they looked for him. You can see Sutherland has talent going forward but I don't think he'll make it as a left back.

Really? Where were you standing, as didn't look over at all from my vantage (level with the pie shop). I'm assuming you're talking about Martin's ariel challenge on Sutherland re potential yellow? I thought a simple foul was correct, although it was clear Martin saw the opportunity to give the youngster a dull one and took it.

Given the circumstances, I thought it was an enjoyable game and we played well. Think Andy G got the balance between giving some players game time and not tinkering too much spot on.

Stevie H, Kev and Robbo took the opportunity to remind us just what good players they are (in case anyone had forgotten) and I thought our ball retention was improved as a result. I'd start Hetherington with Roberts a week on Tuesday.

I agree Ally Roy looked dangerous on the left and I'd be happy if he started there. Quinn has come on, but we still get very little end product out of him. Quinn probably edges it defensively though, where he has improved.

I wouldn't start Wales or Steven against Falkirk. No need to take that chance IMO. 

Overall I think we have an outside, but genuine chance of beating Hamilton over the two legs. We'll need to take our chances better than we did today, but it can be done IMO.

Echo others about the fact it felt like a pre-season friendly today. Was good to see rotation and giving some players a bit of game time. Thought the linesman on the left side made some bad decisions on that side with the Sutherland incident and after that in the second half when the ball clearly came off the Hamilton player and then was given the throw. It was a dress rehearsal at the end of the day and thought we played good football today which although we didn't win was a good thing 

20 minutes ago, LoganAAFC said:

Echo others about the fact it felt like a pre-season friendly today. Was good to see rotation and giving some players a bit of game time. Thought the linesman on the left side made some bad decisions on that side with the Sutherland incident and after that in the second half when the ball clearly came off the Hamilton player and then was given the throw. It was a dress rehearsal at the end of the day and thought we played good football today which although we didn't win was a good thing 

Did the assistant make that decision?

5 minutes ago, printer said:

I think the assistant should have the clearest view of Martin leading with a forearm. It's certainly a red card offence.

4 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

I think the assistant should have the clearest view of Martin leading with a forearm. It's certainly a red card offence.

I didn't think he lead with his forearm, although your coverage may show otherwise. I was very close to it and didn't think it was any where close to a red. 

Ref was very close too.

12 minutes ago, printer said:

Just feel that it's in front of him and he could have influenced the referees decision and the culprit should of received a card at minimum. 

6 minutes ago, printer said:

I didn't think he lead with his forearm, although your coverage may show otherwise. I was very close to it and didn't think it was any where close to a red. 

Ref was very close too.

Yeah its pretty conclusive. It's one of these like a follow-through on a lunge that I don't think you can argue with being excessive force.image.png.5767166d3ac5016fab56453178cad387.png

Would have been at least a two match ban and missed the playoff first leg if it was a red too.

4 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Yeah its pretty conclusive. It's one of these like a follow-through on a lunge that I don't think you can argue with being excessive force.image.png.5767166d3ac5016fab56453178cad387.png

Would have been at least a two match ban and missed the playoff first leg if it was a red too.

Scott Martin should have been off the park before he was educationally brought off by Rankin. 

We were at 60% today . Still an enjoyable game but both teams really not showing their hand .  Agree looked like a pre season game with all the subs. Least a few of our guys got a run out who haven't played for a while. Great to see Cawley, Robbo and Herrington get a start. All are still great Alloa players 

13 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Watched the highlights and it certainly was a bit naughty from Martin. That's part of his game. I wouldn’t say it was conclusive, but IMO a yellow card was appropriate. As I said earlier, I had a great view and didn't think it warranted a card at the time.

A couple of our players had digs at Martin after it, but I found myself wishing we had a Simmy on the park, who I'm sure would have taken the required action. Maybe a job for Miko next Tuesday?

10 hours ago, Oweny said:

We were at 60% today . Still an enjoyable game but both teams really not showing their hand .  Agree looked like a pre season game with all the subs. Least a few of our guys got a run out who haven't played for a while. Great to see Cawley, Robbo and Herrington get a start. All are still great Alloa players 

Indeed, three of the best. Their fitness also a credit to them.

47 minutes ago, printer said:

Another thought on yesterday's game. Thought David McKay looked as good as he has done, playing with more confidence and also more assertive.

Agree with this, he's come on a lot since Andy took over. Games and a settled shape and partnership definitely help but would imagine Andy is a great influence on a young centre half in particular. Hopefully still more to come from him but deserves a lot of credit after a rather rocky start at Alloa. 

31 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Agree with this, he's come on a lot since Andy took over. Games and a settled shape and partnership definitely help but would imagine Andy is a great influence on a young centre half in particular. Hopefully still more to come from him but deserves a lot of credit after a rather rocky start at Alloa. 

Agree with this point on Dave McKay, but I feel it can be used on a lot of players. Feel when Andy came in a lot of players gained confidence and really came onto a game, Taylor Steven being one and I feel the midfield two of Roberts and Virtanen were helped by the appointment as well as McKay who looks so much calmer on the ball than he was when he first came to the club

Watching highlights, the ball didn't look as over the line as it did from behind the goal live. Just wishful thinking on my part I think.

Agree it was good to see McLaren on the bench, thought he might have been given a run out for the last 10/15 minutes but the quad sub at half time made that unlikely.

8 hours ago, printer said:

Another thought on yesterday's game. Thought David McKay looked as good as he has done, playing with more confidence and also more assertive.

yes this , very much agree, The QOTS fans slated him and i tended to agree seeing his performances in the early season

but boy has he proved us all wrong . his team is in third while his former team who freed him.?. well we know how that went

I don't know if it is true but i heard he had some personal issue's in life to deal with but i don't know for sure he seems a very quiet private type , in any case he has filled David devine's shoes very well to the point that i think he should keep his place .