Dees v St Mirren- the battle for European glory

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Sell out The Shankly?😂

Thank you.

In all honesty and without picking on Dundee specifically, it's nonsense that there isn't a cash gate announced well in advance. A few folk, esspecially the older generation, get irritated at the whole online ordering process. A pet hate of mine in the post covid world is that clubs now actively seem to make it a more complicated process to order tickets - Hibs being a prime example along with Kilmarnock who demand a valid email address and phone number for every person in the party whose ticket you order, leading me to have to enter my details repeatedly to just push through the system. 

There should always be an option as standard to either walk up, place money down and walk in, or buy a ticket on site to walk in rather than such a facility only being advertised 36 hours before kick off after negotiations.

And before anyone starts, I also fully include St. Mirren in that as our process of attracting walk up fans isn't great either. Our ticket office hours are very limited and on matchday the ticket office is always queued out. I heard before that it was a police Scotland recommendation to only have ticketed turnstiles but surely it always makes sense to have at least one manned cash turnstile for those who wish to walk up. If Dundee had announced this at the start of the week, there almost certainly would have been extra folk who would have committed to going on the Saturday compared to on a Friday morning when many will have already made other plans.

Again though, we are similarly awkward, a prime example being stupidly releasing away tickets for the Killie game in sections when Kilmarnock routinely sell the full away stand out even when they're pish, much less comfortably 4th in the table.

Edited by djchapsticks

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

A pet hate of mine in the post covid world is that clubs now actively seem to make it a more complicated process to order tickets - Hibs being a prime example along with Kilmarnock who demand a valid email address and phone number for every person in the party whose ticket you order, leading me to have to enter my details repeatedly to just push through the system.

It's the same for home fans. I bought an extra ticket for the Celtic game and it asked for all the details, despite me being logged in as a season ticket holder. We use TicketCo, which I think is a system designed for concert tickets that has been shoehorned into football.

9 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

In all honesty and without picking on Dundee specifically, it's nonsense that there isn't a cash gate announced well in advance. A few folk, esspecially the older generation, get irritated at the whole online ordering process. A pet hate of mine in the post covid world is that clubs now actively seem to make it a more complicated process to order tickets - Hibs being a prime example along with Kilmarnock who demand a valid email address and phone number for every person in the party whose ticket you order, leading me to have to enter my details repeatedly to just push through the system. 

There should always be an option as standard to either walk up, place money down and walk in, or buy a ticket on site to walk in rather than such a facility only being advertised 36 hours before kick off after negotiations.

And before anyone starts, I also fully include St. Mirren in that as our process of attracting walk up fans isn't great either. Our ticket office hours are very limited and on matchday the ticket office is always queued out. I heard before that it was a police Scotland recommendation to only have ticketed turnstiles but surely it always makes sense to have at least one manned cash turnstile for those who wish to walk up. If Dundee had announced this at the start of the week, there almost certainly would have been extra folk who would have committed to going on the Saturday compared to on a Friday morning when many will have already made other plans.

Again though, we are similarly awkward, a prime example being stupidly releasing away tickets for the Killie game in sections when Kilmarnock routinely sell the full away stand out even when they're pish, much less comfortably 4th in the table.

As a old fart, i very rarely go to away games now because i can't be arse with the hassle of setting up accounts, passwords etc for all the clubs in the league.

A cash turnstiles opened for 1 hr will only cost the club £20 max. 

I would disagree with you about buying on the day at home, never seen any long queue for the cabin behind the west stand, though the main stand could be different. 

Posted (edited)

On the flip side, I'm what you'd consider an "auld c**t", as well as a few other prefixes of c**t too :P, and I dislike paper money. It sort of goes against my late stage capitalistic rant about large corporations controlling people's finances by it all being electronic rather than in a 'biscuit tin under the bed', but I much prefer contactless to rifling through my pockets to find the correct amount. What's more it's actually more financially efficient. That said, I embrace technology, and being a web dev I find almost every club's online purchasing to be more of an after thought than something they should use to drive revenue.

Edited by Ric

On 01/05/2024 at 00:37, Vicdfc said:

They haven’t won more trophies there ground isn’t bigger remember our ground has held more than 43000 in it they didn’t win the uefa final they get bigger crowds at the moment 

Tannadice currently holds more fans hence it is bigger and he didn't say we won the uefa Cup you fool. 

24 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

Has Dundee sold out  considering it's probably their biggest game in decades? 

Nowhere near unfortunately, I’m guessing Saints just ain’t that much of a draw😎, tbf relegating United, which I think was our last sell out was a slightly bigger affair, I fully agree our home support needs to grow back to somewhere close to where it once was, this will only happen when we close out opportunities like the one in front of us and consistently for the next 5 years or so eclipse the manky day glos from across the road.

Time will tell.

On 01/05/2024 at 06:20, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

- won more trophies & more recently, including a UEFA Cup final

5 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

... and he didn't say we won the uefa Cup you fool. 

I think he did.

Just now, hk blues said:

I think he did.

It's not perfect English but I read it as United getting to the final only which should be seen as an achievement despite us not winning the trophy. 

10 minutes ago, MarkoP said:

Nowhere near unfortunately, I’m guessing Saints just ain’t that much of a draw😎, tbf relegating United, which I think was our last sell out was a slightly bigger affair, I fully agree our home support needs to grow back to somewhere close to where it once was, this will only happen when we close out opportunities like the one in front of us and consistently for the next 5 years or so eclipse the manky day glos from across the road.

Time will tell.

In my lifetime, the Dundee support has been poor in comparison to United for the last 30 years plus including in Scottish Cup finals, title deciders. Even in derbys there's been plenty of times where you haven't always sold out the away end.

In the seasons we are in the league below recently we were still taking bigger supports home/away, it's all very strange as to where all the dundee fans have turned to after being the bigger club in the city for the first 60 odd years.

Also Social media United are on top with having 12k more followers on X/Twitter for example. (laugh all you want but this is one barometer of how you engage and attract new fans) 

I can't see it ever reverting unless United go into admin and on some kind of massive decline now. 

1 minute ago, Butters Scotch said:

I can't see it ever reverting unless United go into admin and on some kind of massive decline now. 

It’s started already, it’s in our own hands, which for Dundee is usually a poisoned chalice, but I do think this is the best chance in decades to redress the balance, the new stadium, on top of some consolidation next season obviously need to happen, otherwise things will most likely stay the same.

Anyway fek off back to your own thread 🤣

No false pre-match bravado from this Saint. Absolutely shitting it. As discussed higher up in the thread, it's kinda nice to have such a high-stakes game that doesn't involve relegation and/or existential dread. But it's still our biggest match for a long time and I'll be miserable tonight if we lose. 🤷‍♂️

Our recent form is what's giving me the fear, along with the now-established conspiracy that match officials and VAR have been mounting against us. I think we'll come up slightly short in a tight game. 2-1 Dundee. 

Posted (edited)

No shiting it from me. 

Confident in the team after their last two displays at Dens but happy to close the season as a success if defeat comes.

If we play to our capabilities and Paisley come out on top it'll be a sure sign they are the better side. The main thing is we match the levels we put out against the OF then there won't be a complaint from me either way.

Look forward to seeing this 'huge away support' filling the Shankly and Main Stand.

Thank you.

Edited by Dundee-FC92

36 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

It's not perfect English but I read it as United getting to the final only which should be seen as an achievement despite us not winning the trophy. 

An interesting interpretation I have to say - you've added a fair bit of poetic licence there.  

23 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

In my lifetime, the Dundee support has been poor in comparison to United for the last 30 years plus including in Scottish Cup finals, title deciders. Even in derbys there's been plenty of times where you haven't always sold out the away end.

In the seasons we are in the league below recently we were still taking bigger supports home/away, it's all very strange as to where all the dundee fans have turned to after being the bigger club in the city for the first 60 odd years.

Also Social media United are on top with having 12k more followers on X/Twitter for example. (laugh all you want but this is one barometer of how you engage and attract new fans) 

I wouldn't be going on about selling out the away end. More tears fell from Hooleys pus as there was fans in the away end as Utd were sent to the Championship. That was the lowest ever away attendance in a Dundee Derby which includes a match where Dundee fans organised a boycott.

I personally know of Dundee fans who have switched sides. You can have them. The history and traditions of the Dark Blue side are deeply rooted  and whistle through the city's past. My family have been attending Dens since 1930s with memorabilia nearly spanning a century. Show me an Arab who can say the same.

There's only one club with deep rooted, generational continuity in this City.

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

An interesting interpretation I have to say - you've added a fair bit of poetic licence there.  

In fairness, only someone who didn’t know that United hadn’t won a UEFA Cup (i.e. no one), would’ve interpreted it the way you did.

Because I know they didn’t, I immediately interpreted it as having got to a final, despite the agreed shocking English.