Dees v St Mirren- the battle for European glory

26 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

Big Team found 

You have lost me - there is no club bigger than Dundee FC.

My other footballing commitments involve being pished watching my son in Blackpool. 

Thank you.

54 minutes ago, Der Panzer said:

Blatant trolling aside I like St Mirrens team this year - their manager is a p***k and their fans on here transcend that title but overall there’s a lot to like about St. Mirren this season.

I’ve been a Dundee fan long enough to suspect we might actually go and do the business this weekend - only to blow it in spectacular fashion / St. Mirren get a wild and unexpected result to pip us - and I wouldn’t grudge them it as they have led the way for most of the season.

A good crowd, a cracking atmosphere, 2 teams entertaining the fans and a lovely spell of weather played on the most (in)famous pitch in the UK at the moment - what’s not to like. 

I will not be in attendance due to other footballing commitments so if someone could please give a 2 handed - 1 finger salute to the away end whilst screaming “Thank you” on my behalf it would be appreciated.

Thank you

Tangential to the 'banter', but am I the only person left who uses the two-fingered salute? 🤔  

8 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

Tangential to the 'banter', but am I the only person left who uses the two-fingered salute? 🤔  

Not seen it for a while - not as effective imo but each to their own.

Posted (edited)

Just looking at each clubs' remaining fixtures after this game. With two home games, on paper we have the easier run in. I'm possibly stating the obvious, here, but I like to get things clear in my mind and so thought I'd share it, for what its worth.

Screenshot2024-05-0213_40_57.png.974ec4e89bc634f295885b0d05b8675f.png

St. Mirren

Killie (h)

Hearts (h)

Celtic (a)

Prediction: 4 points (min. 1, max. 7)

Dundee

Hearts (a)

Rangers (a)

Killie (h)  

Prediction: 4 points (min. 1, max. 9)

Screenshot2024-05-0213_43_20.png.6a88210470783b2feac2d8eb3e23f9ec.png

Screenshot2024-05-0213_44_19.png.8b95fe7223244e149a7a214437bfa90a.png

Home & Away tables taken from: https://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=scotland

A St. Mirren win will put us five points clear with the above fixtures remaining. Given our better goal difference, Dundee would have to take at least six points from the remaining fixtures and hope we lose all three of ours. This will be almost enough to ensure we finish in fifth spot, in my humble opinion.

A draw obviously maintains the status quo. Dundee will need to take at least three points from their remaining three fixtures and hope we lose all ours. 

A Dundee win will put Dundee a point clear of us and reduce their goal difference deficit. 

I would like to think Dundee definitely won't win at Ibrox, but with the pressure of the title race, Rangers' home defeat to Motherwell and their loss in Dingwall, I don't have the utmost confidence in Rangers at the moment; that said a Dundee victory at Ibrox is clearly unlikely, but I would rather go there that Celtic Park. Killie and Hearts have nothing to play for, and I always think soon-to-be out of contract players might not give 100% - however, we also benefit (and lose) from that.

There is next to zero chance we will win at Celtic Park and a very slim chance we will take a point, unless they have already won the title. Their sole loss at home this season was against Hearts, though notably they have had a few off days when they didn't collect all three points.

Hearts' home record is quite formidable, having lost just three from seventeen, so I am pleased we don't have to go to Tynecastle.

Our respective games against Killie will both be massive and in the event of a draw will quite possibly prove decisive, IMHO. I only noticed that their away form is poor, they're actually 7th in the away table - having won three, drawn eight and lost five! Failure to beat them could be very costly, then.

Conclusion: the pressure is on Dundee to win Saturday's game. A draw will still mean it can go either way. A Dundee loss will almost guarantee us fifth, assuming we don't implode in the last three games. 

It doesn't need to be said, but I will write it anyway: this is a HUGE game for both clubs!

COYS! 😬

Edited by Black_and_White_Stripes

Unfortunately I'll not make it this weekend which is a shame as I love a day out in Dundee, but it's been one of those weeks where you are reminded there are much bigger things than football in life. I'm not sure how the game will go, I think the pressure is on both teams and it can do funny things. For all the good Robbo has done, there are still very much question marks over this team when the pressure and expectation is high. Draw or big home win for me. Hopefully the former.

We need to win this. I'm not saying we won't make 5th if we don't but Dundee are the weakest side in this section and this is our best chance to open more than a 3 point cushion. We have an advantage with GD, but that could easily be wiped out either in this game or a humping from our final game against Celtic (if the title fight is still live by then), although obvs the same could be said for Dundee and their game against Rangers. It feels like we've been coasting a little, and our form is patchy, but we're not getting cunted all over the place and I do think we have enough to get us over the line.

If you go back to the comments at the start of the season, I said Dundee had bought well enough to keep themselves out of the relegation scrap, and that in Docherty they had someone that knows what it takes to get the best out of those players at this level. Did I expect them to make top 6? No, but I didn't expect them to that far away. I quite like the club, some of the posters are utter roasters.. ;), but if I had to choose a different team other than my own to make 5th, it would have been them.

Ooft dangerously close to reasonable banter returning on here

I’m just hoping as I’m actually getting to this, that I hope the huge away support have a great early afternoon in Dundee, enjoy the game, for a while, but ultimately go home scunnered!

#MontheDees

19 minutes ago, MarkoP said:

Sorry, considering my reputation on here, I really should be shithousing it.. :(

5 hours ago, Pens_Dark said:

Dundee Fc v St Mirren thread bingo:

- Opening remarks of hope that this latest thread shall not be a bin fire - ✅

- Some generally sensible comments about the game and potential starting 11 - ✅

- Mention of Dundee administration(s) - ✅

- Mention of Celtic store at St Mirren ground - ✅

- Mention of Dundee being a shithole - ✅

- Mention of Weegie's - ✅

- Thread now considered to be a binfire - ✅

IF NOTHING ELSE WE ARE FUCKING CONSISTENT LADS.

Thank you.

Missing the mention of Dundee’s desperate attempt to lure not just a player but a manager as well away from St Mirren. Failed both times. 

7 hours ago, Der Panzer said:

You have lost me - there is no club bigger than Dundee FC.

My other footballing commitments involve being pished watching my son in Blackpool. 

Thank you.

Nice. Did he get a job on the waltzers?

1 hour ago, MarkoP said:

I’m just hoping as I’m actually getting to this, that I hope the huge away support have a great early afternoon in Dundee, enjoy the game, for a while, but ultimately go home scunnered!

#MontheDees

Huge away support my arse. 

Thank you. 

41 minutes ago, AW saint said:

An away win and a stop at the 24 hour bakery sounds like a plan to me

There may be some debate in here as to whether the aforementioned bakery is the best option for your peh needs whilst in the city of culture. 

41 minutes ago, AW saint said:

An away win and a stop at the 24 hour bakery sounds like a plan to me

Better bakery choices are available. Better on the pocket, too.

Head up the Perth Rd and bask in the array of cultural food choices.

Just now, MarbellaDEE said:

There may be some debate in here as to whether the aforementioned bakery is the best option for your peh needs whilst in the city of culture. 

Just now, Derry Alli said:

Better bakery choices are available.

:lol:

Posted (edited)

Gazeley's delicatessen in town centre does the best Macroni pie in Dundee.

There's outlets all over Dundee that are better than anything Clarks could serve up for any item. 

The only time Clarkies should be in with a shout is when you're stuck at 4-6am after being on the lash.

Thank you.

Edited by Dundee-FC92