Bonnyrigg Rose vs Excitement FC on tour

50 minutes ago, May Rckinnon said:

Season finale!

Who's going?

To those staying at home, enjoy a well earned break.

We’re visiting friends in Dalkeith so will be at the match too.

3 hours ago, nofixedability said:

You could not pay me to attend this match.

Wise words. The Futbology app tells me I’ve been at NDP 7 times this season and apart from the Falkirk game it’s been turgid stuff. A massive rebuild for Calum next year.

So instead of going a mile north it’ll be a mile south for Whitehill v Oakley. Guaranteed a few goals and much cheaper. Welfare have a few players with a bit of flair, especially Devers. Add in O’Neill, Grotlin, Walker, Dawson and it’s always worth the admission. Hope Jack Lynch can keep the squad from being broken up at season’s end.

I recently moved from Bonnyrigg after living there for a few years so going along to this to visit some old watering holes, got my Jambo mate in tow as he doesn't fancy going to their game at Celtic Park so making a day of it. High hopes for a good day, hopes for a good game less so.

8 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

I recently moved from Bonnyrigg after living there for a few years so going along to this to visit some old watering holes, got my Jambo mate in tow as he doesn't fancy going to their game at Celtic Park so making a day of it. High hopes for a good day, hopes for a good game less so.

I always drink in the Laird & Dug as I can get a bus to the ground right at the door, and they do guest beers. I don’t like the Bonnyrigg pubs although many people like the social club.

4 hours ago, The Mantis said:

I always drink in the Laird & Dug as I can get a bus to the ground right at the door, and they do guest beers. I don’t like the Bonnyrigg pubs although many people like the social club.

Love the Laird and Dog, excellent for food too. I avoided the Calderwood for years but quite like it and obviously handy for the ground

On 01/05/2024 at 14:02, The Mantis said:

Wise words. The Futbology app tells me I’ve been at NDP 7 times this season and apart from the Falkirk game it’s been turgid stuff. A massive rebuild for Calum next year.

So instead of going a mile north it’ll be a mile south for Whitehill v Oakley. Guaranteed a few goals and much cheaper. Welfare have a few players with a bit of flair, especially Devers. Add in O’Neill, Grotlin, Walker, Dawson and it’s always worth the admission. Hope Jack Lynch can keep the squad from being broken up at season’s end.

Very few of the current Bonnyrigg squad are Calum’s type of player and there will be a mass clear out which is risky for him when fans favourites are binned. 

12 hours ago, Brazilianlex said:

Very few of the current Bonnyrigg squad are Calum’s type of player and there will be a mass clear out which is risky for him when fans favourites are binned. 

I would say it’s way past that stage. Sure they have long serving players who have been legends at the club, but it’s been a shite season and the fans know the players are not good enough or are past it.
SPFL2 has come years too late for Lee Currie and McGachie has struggled with injury for years. Kerr Young is another who has not had a great season and has struggled with injuries. 
The acid test would be if you had players attracting the attention of other clubs, but can you see any Rose players being picked up by Spartans or East Fife or Kelty? The fans already know the answer to that.

Most of the squad are ready for the LL or EOS like Scott Gray who went to Tranent and has shone. I contrasted that with Whitehill where they have a few talented young players and are desperate to keep them.

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

I would say it’s way past that stage. Sure they have long serving players who have been legends at the club, but it’s been a shite season and the fans know the players are not good enough or are past it.
SPFL2 has come years too late for Lee Currie and McGachie has struggled with injury for years. Kerr Young is another who has not had a great season and has struggled with injuries. 
The acid test would be if you had players attracting the attention of other clubs, but can you see any Rose players being picked up by Spartans or East Fife or Kelty? The fans already know the answer to that.

Most of the squad are ready for the LL or EOS like Scott Gray who went to Tranent and has shone. I contrasted that with Whitehill where they have a few talented young players and are desperate to keep them.

I think you’re right …. to an extent. There’s the core of a decent squad in there - Martin, Peggie, Mailer, Barrett, Gray, Watson, McGale and Jarvis can definitely play at this level and I think McGachie, Currie, Young and Martynuik could have another season in them. But we’re missing star quality in defence, midfield and up front which is hard to attract at a team like Bonnyrigg.

Calum has a massive job in the summer, he definitely needs to cut 5 or 6 (as a minimum) and bring in much better quality to replace them ….. that won’t be easy with our budget. Fingers crossed he has someone scouting for some hidden gems.

15 minutes ago, Broonaldo said:

I think you’re right …. to an extent. There’s the core of a decent squad in there - Martin, Peggie, Mailer, Barrett, Gray, Watson, McGale and Jarvis

I think Robbie did OK in bringing in these guys and as you say they can compete at SPFL2. However the other clubs in SPFL2 usually have 1 or 2 quality players that you watch out for. In our case they usually only know big Kieran (and slag him off) and maybe Currie (although they usually just talk about the baldy no 10).
Always liked Peggie and Mailer in particular. Most of that group have been around at various clubs so you question if they can rise any more in the game. Brad is 23 now and I remember him at WW U20s. I also remember Calum Connolly at WW who has somehow reached 30... Time will tell if the group you mentioned are good enough for middle/upper half of SPFL2 after 3 or 4 quality players are added.

3 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Have to say Lee Currie was the one Rose player I was impressed by when you came up to Borough Briggs in March