Partick Thistle (4)🔴🟡⚫️ vs Airdrieonians (3)♦️

7 hours ago, Doolan9 said:

How does our midfield likely lineup for this one ? If muirhead is fit the back line picks itself. If he’s not then O’reilly slots in. Neilson fitzy Robinson bbg all givens. Stanway or banzo in beside neilson, Kerr out wide right ? 

I think it will be Stanway in the middle , McInroy on the right and Fitz on the left, but another less likely possibility is McInroy in the middle, Ngwenya on the left and Fitz on the right. I think Airdrie's main threats are through the middle of the park though so would expect the slightly better defensive skills of Stanway in there.

7 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

I don't disagree but that's on the players to recognise when that time is and it's usually a misplaced pass or a player not moving it on quick enough that leads to errors. But they're just adhering to the tactics they've been told to play by Rhys. Bear in mind that to play a nice brand of football like this carries it's risks, of course it does. But the rewards are far greater IMO. And if we nailed it all the time, our players would all be snapped up by Premier league teams. Of course we are going to make mistakes. Every team does at this level, not forgetting how young many of our team are as well. So poor decision making can always lead to mistakes. 

But we're not going to revert to launching it long the moment there's the slightest bit of pressure on us. The whole point of the way we play is to invite said pressure, draw players in, which creates gaps in the next third to play in to. 

It's not called high risk, high reward for nothing. 

Im not asking/wanting us to launch it the moment there’s pressure on us though, I want the players to realise that it’s not always on, sometimes the pressure needs to come off whether it’s pretty or not.

This will be some game, both teams can play some good football on their day. 
TBH, I don’t really care who wins this one, I only hope the winner can beat Raith. It’s not that I have anything against Raith, it’s purely for selfish reasons. I want the big game atmosphere, and with both them and Falkirk in the same league as us it’ll make for some tasty derby games. 

Think injuries to key players (especially Rae) might make the playoffs a bridge to far for us but still hopeful, think we need to win the home game tonight to go through.

Posted (edited)

All I can say is I'm glad my team aren't involved in these. Horrendously nervous games so good luck to all.

Probably Partick are favourites but you do wonder if, having probably not expected to get here at the start of the season, the pressure might be lower on Airdrie which could be crucial.

Just some random playoff highlights.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

21 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

What you call 'dicking about' is what other fans who've watched us generally call good football, and it's a big part of why we've finished 4th.

Trust me I've had many a heart in mouth moment watching us pass the ball about at the back this season, but the vast majority of times it's led to excellent attacking moves. That's just our style of play and in large, it's been a joy to watch. 

Hearing old school shouts of 'punt it up the park' or 'just fucking clear it' is fine if you want to have us play like Morton. I just hope fans stay on side, back the team and trust the way we play as its been the best football we've seen in years and half the season Rhys's name crops up every time there's a management vacancy. 

We do have a tendency at times to not make the pass out early enough, inviting pressure on the goalkeeper and defender which can result in a panicked misplaced pass or slip. 

Mind you it has been a delight to see very little hoofing it up the park - how many teams do this from either the keeper or defender in the hope that one of their own players will get the ball and retain possession? It's a risk too, as too often possession is lost to the opposition. 

Rhys has maybe realised that the style we play will get the best out of the players we have in our squad. Playing hoofball and the like would possibly have seen us suffer more defeats and be further down the table? 

23 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Just random highlights of a random game 

I had a field day at work with those Celtic fans that never go to the games, yet come across as diehard fans. 
Thanks for this ICT, I had a couple of really great and quick shifts off the back o this game 

4 hours ago, Braesoyetts said:

The only time I saw notable trouble at Firhill (this is about 20 years ago) was against Airdrie.  Though the “fans” in question may have been from a few hundred miles further south….

I once went out with a girl from Airdrie and she was going on about how awful Hibs fans were, and humorously was completely taken aback when I mentioned to her gently that Airdrie fans might have had a bit of a reputation themselves.  She refused to believe it.

As alluded to previously after the famous battle near St. George's Cross several years ago Plod deemed the fixture in the same public order risk category as Celtic v Rangers. Albeit isolated incidents in recent times not now though. 

As for Hibs certain Airdrie fans with play off memories will remember their vile, disgusting behaviour above the away support at Easter Road. For that I detest Hibs as a club and as a support. 

11 hours ago, Doolan9 said:

How does our midfield likely lineup for this one ? If muirhead is fit the back line picks itself. If he’s not then O’reilly slots in. Neilson fitzy Robinson bbg all givens. Stanway or banzo in beside neilson, Kerr out wide right ? 

Muirhead should be fine, he was only rested for the Tannadice game. Expect a midfield 3 of Neilson, Stanway and Robinson with McInroy out wide. 

11 minutes ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

As for Hibs certain Airdrie fans with play off memories will remember their vile, disgusting behaviour above the away support at Easter Road. For that I detest Hibs as a club and as a support.

What did they actually do?

Genuinely looking forward to watching this tonight.  Two teams who are generally good to watch and should be a decent crowd too.  Would expect a decent atmosphere as I don't think the Thistle fans stopped singing at any point during the 2 games at Stark's this season(to be fair the Airdrie fans made plenty of noise the last time too).

Given the results between the teams this season, logic would dictate that I want Thistle to win over the 2 legs.  However, both teams are decent on their day so I don't actually think it matters. We'll have a tough tie either way.

Hopefully it's yet another great advert for the Championship.

52 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

All I can say is I'm glad my team aren't involved in these. Horrendously nervous games so good luck to all.

Probably Partick are favourites but you do wonder if, having probably not expected to get here at the start of the season, the pressure might be lower on Airdrie which could be crucial.

Reported

Just now, Claudia Gentile said:

Reported

I used to work with a Thistle fan who was still raging about the 96 playoff years later.  Am I right in thinking United benefitted from a shocking bit of refereeing?

26 minutes ago, Wacky said:

Just random highlights of a random game 

I had a field day at work with those Celtic fans that never go to the games, yet come across as diehard fans. 
Thanks for this ICT, I had a couple of really great and quick shifts off the back o this game 

Britney Spears What GIF