Dumbarton vs Stirling, Stirling vs Dumbarton

Who goes through?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Who goes through?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/05/24 at 18:45

I'm going to head along to this games tonight. It looks like two well-matched sides and there's a degree of intrigue as we rerun the rivalry from last season. Although I fancy Dumbarton for it - they've impressed me every time they took on Stenhousemuir this season and I think they're a better teamwith Mark Durnan back in their ranks - you just can't quite trust Stevie Farrell when it comes to the showdown!

Well tonight's the night. I can't even face watching the BBC live texts come in.  I plan to have a tension free nap with Vodka assistance. I'll face up to this when it's over.   In F all I trust. 

My only hope is that we can somehow stop ourselves from a defensive f*** up and grind out a 0-0 or 1-1. By the time Saturday comes around, maybe we'll have faced up to the reality we're in, but we need to be level in the tie. We sure as hell won't be scoring many goals over the two legs.

Gee, well....here we are, tonight is indeed the night. I said in the run up to the season ending that if we were to end up in the Play Offs then I think we'll go down, and I standby that. I don't know if the sucker punch will come from Dumbarton or either of the other 2 teams, it's quite hard to tell when you haven't seen them play in a year. I like to get around the grounds when I can't make Stirling games, however I've not seen Dumbarton this season.

I'll leave the "where did it go wrong" post for the Stirling Albion thread when our season is over, however to answer some of the questions that were raised earlier in the thread, it's simply down to not improving when we were on top and as a result we've struggled to score goals all season. For the first 3 quarters of the season, I feel we did well, in fact we have actually competed well throughout the whole season, however if you can't score, then it's only a matter of time when the opposition bang one in and that's happened all too often and even that has often been through defensive errors.

Carrick just hasn't had a suitable partner all season, so has had to do a lot of work upfront himself and he's had to live off scraps. I've felt for the guy because he's worked tirelessly but it's just not happened for him, through no fault of his own. Hilson was brought in to add to our fire power and has failed miserably, and has been a poor addition in my opinion and although he is fine, I don't think Spence is up to League 1 level any more.....and that's been another of our problems, we're a very good League 2 team, however I don't think we've got many players that are of real quality in League 1. Our effort levels and our huffing and puffing got us so far, but we fell short because the ability just wasn't there.

Saying we are a "very good League 2 team" would make you think that I'm confident, as I said at the start, I'm not. I think a lot of the time, football is down to confidence and momentum and I don't think we have either. Darren Young (who I still back) has shuffled the pack time after time but with little to no difference. I suspect Weir will continue in goals, which baffles me but what can you do. After Saturday, he's got to change the Right Back, Scouse's performance was abysmal and he couldn't hide his anger when he was hooked, McGeachie should be straight back in having done ok again, after that the remaining back 4 pick themselves, Pabs, McGregor & Clark, all pretty decent for League 2.

Midfield will depend on what formation Young goes with, over the past 2 months he's chopped and changed to find the answer and hasn't. I suspect Banner, Crane & Leitch will be given the nod with McPake, Histon & Carrick as the wide 2 and Forward. McPake will hold the key for us as he has done so often since joining. If he can make things happen then we have a chance, if not then I fear for us.

I can't make it along tonight, I just hope we are still in a position where we are in a game on Saturday, whether that' winning comfortably or drawing, then I would take that. Dumbarton have a chance, they have a good chance, but we have to believe that our squad can do what we did against them last season. 1,600 and something were at Forthbank on Saturday, really hope we can get that again this week.

If we can get a draw from tonight from a confident Dumbarton side, I would take it.

Aside from Edinburgh Under 20s, we have only won 3 games since the start of October (Montrose x 2, Kelty).

I would love for us to pull something out of the hat in these playoffs but can't see it happening at all. We have had loads of confident fans over the last couple of months that we would avoid relegation, would love to have a bit of what they are smoking.

I genuinely want to be positive about our chances but I'm awaiting someone pointing out any evidence to be so. All this "playoffs are a lottery" nonsense like its some sort of penalty shootout for a place in league one.

21 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Gee, well....here we are, tonight is indeed the night. I said in the run up to the season ending that if we were to end up in the Play Offs then I think we'll go down, and I standby that. I don't know if the sucker punch will come from Dumbarton or either of the other 2 teams, it's quite hard to tell when you haven't seen them play in a year. I like to get around the grounds when I can't make Stirling games, however I've not seen Dumbarton this season.

I'll leave the "where did it go wrong" post for the Stirling Albion thread when our season is over, however to answer some of the questions that were raised earlier in the thread, it's simply down to not improving when we were on top and as a result we've struggled to score goals all season. For the first 3 quarters of the season, I feel we did well, in fact we have actually competed well throughout the whole season, however if you can't score, then it's only a matter of time when the opposition bang one in and that's happened all too often and even that has often been through defensive errors.

Carrick just hasn't had a suitable partner all season, so has had to do a lot of work upfront himself and he's had to live off scraps. I've felt for the guy because he's worked tirelessly but it's just not happened for him, through no fault of his own. Hilson was brought in to add to our fire power and has failed miserably, and has been a poor addition in my opinion and although he is fine, I don't think Spence is up to League 1 level any more.....and that's been another of our problems, we're a very good League 2 team, however I don't think we've got many players that are of real quality in League 1. Our effort levels and our huffing and puffing got us so far, but we fell short because the ability just wasn't there.

Saying we are a "very good League 2 team" would make you think that I'm confident, as I said at the start, I'm not. I think a lot of the time, football is down to confidence and momentum and I don't think we have either. Darren Young (who I still back) has shuffled the pack time after time but with little to no difference. I suspect Weir will continue in goals, which baffles me but what can you do. After Saturday, he's got to change the Right Back, Scouse's performance was abysmal and he couldn't hide his anger when he was hooked, McGeachie should be straight back in having done ok again, after that the remaining back 4 pick themselves, Pabs, McGregor & Clark, all pretty decent for League 2.

Midfield will depend on what formation Young goes with, over the past 2 months he's chopped and changed to find the answer and hasn't. I suspect Banner, Crane & Leitch will be given the nod with McPake, Histon & Carrick as the wide 2 and Forward. McPake will hold the key for us as he has done so often since joining. If he can make things happen then we have a chance, if not then I fear for us.

I can't make it along tonight, I just hope we are still in a position where we are in a game on Saturday, whether that' winning comfortably or drawing, then I would take that. Dumbarton have a chance, they have a good chance, but we have to believe that our squad can do what we did against them last season. 1,600 and something were at Forthbank on Saturday, really hope we can get that again this week.

Great post. Would take a draw tonight. Even a narrow defeat and I feel like it’s an uphill struggle. Would have a lot more confidence if we had a goalscorer in our ranks/Carrick getting decent service. 

I've got an excited/nervous sort of buzz for tonight. I genuinely cannot remember the last time I felt like that before a game. Maybe the cup final? 

The main thing I want from us is that we do ourselves justice. The past two seasons have been a disaster and over by half-time. Still being in the tie by the second leg would be an improvement. Even if it wouldn't be good for my heart rate for the rest of the week.

I've genuinely absolutely no idea how it'll go or what to expect. There's a big jump to League One. But that Binos squad did only beat us once in the league last season (we don't have to mention quite how comfortably that win was mind you, thanks) and I think we're much stronger now than we were then. But they still have players who either scare me (McPake, Carrick) or who were a nightmare last season and really had our number (big Paul McLean, I'm looking at you).

I can't see it being high scoring. And I can see it being very tense. Can't wait!

13 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Pixellot I’m afraid but it does the job. We have commentary which is decent enough but still not a patch on @Jan Vojáček and turncoat Chris.

Not gonna lie, I died a bit inside when I saw him with the trophy.

44 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

A fine summary of how we got here.

I can't understand the continued absence of Blair Currie either.

Your predicted line up looks about right. I'd prefer Offord to Hilson but I doubt we get it.

I'm nervously almost looking forward to it.

On 06/05/2024 at 00:38, FifeSons said:

Quite strange that they’re doing it this way. Would’ve preferred to be able to buy in advance. I doubt we’ll sell out the home end, but you could in theory have season ticket holders showing up and being turned away.

Surely a few days notice to get them sent out in time etc was going to be pushing it?

40 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

But they still have players who either scare me (McPake, Carrick) or who were a nightmare last season and really had our number (big Paul McLean, I'm looking at you).

Pabs has had a fine season for us. There were doubts whether he could still perform at this level with his age and injuries, however, he's arguably been our best player.

30 minutes ago, WattersIsGod said:

A fine summary of how we got here.

Your predicted line up looks about right. I'd prefer Offord to Hilson but I doubt we get it.

Thank you. Just for the record, I would also prefer Offord for Hilson (and Cooper for Leitch) but like you, I doubt we'll get it.

3 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Pabs has had a fine season for us. There were doubts whether he could still perform at this level with his age and injuries, however, he's arguably been our best player.

He was probably my least favourite player to face us last season. We just got absolutely nothing at all out of him after about the third minute of the opening day. Michael Ruth is a step above anyone we had up top last season, so I'm interested to see how he does. Might give us an idea of what sort of level Ruth will step up to next season (assuming he leaves us).

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Moorie said:

Surely a few days notice to get them sent out in time etc was going to be pushing it?

Surely they could have just done it as a QR code? Which Peterhead did on Saturday and I’m guessing we usually offer for non season ticket holders. Anyway, getting cash out isn’t a problem and I’ll be there about 2 hours before KO :lol:

Edited by FifeSons

11 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Surely they could have just done it as a QR code? Which Peterhead did on Saturday and I’m guessing we usually offer for non season ticket holders. Anyway, getting cash out isn’t a problem and I’ll be there about 2 hours before KO :lol:

2 hours?  Hey you can have a nap before the game.

I was worried that Orsi was injured after missing Saturday but with Faz confirming that everyone is fit apart from Long and Young is a big boost. Also confirmed long and young back in training which a fab not that they’ll play again this season. 

21 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Close-fought draw with few goals feels like the most likely outcome tonight.

0-0.

I really hope not. I’d like to see us play on the front foot tonight and try and get a couple of goals. Stirling will have put a lot into Saturday’s game and we’ve had the luxury of rotating the squad for weeks now, we really should be raring to go. 

Saturday will be a tough one. Stirling will have a decent crowd behind them and I’d imagine they will be right up for it. We need some sort of advantage IMO.

31 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Thank you. Just for the record, I would also prefer Offord for Hilson (and Cooper for Leitch) but like you, I doubt we'll get it.

I'd prefer Offord up with Carrick in a 4-4-2 instead of whatever the hell we have been playing. Josh Cooper out wide right instead of Hilson.  It couldn't make it worse than it has been and a bit more pace up front wouldn't hurt either.

11 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

2 hours?  Hey you can have a nap before the game.

I’ll probably park up in the bar and make the most of being able to get a pint of Tennents!

Fully expect the Faz mantra for tonight to be “must not lose”. Especially after the last two seasons. I just hope he’s not happy with a draw, as I suspect, and goes for the win.