Celtic v Rangers Saturday 11th May 12:30

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AJF said:

I don’t really buy into this line of thinking that I often see, both up here and down south.

You say it was Celtic’s poor form that allowed us to go top, surely the whole point of a league campaign is to try and better the results of your opponent? If Rangers went ahead in the league it was because they had amassed more points than Celtic at that point. So, rather disingenuous to suggest it was only down to Celtic dropping points rather than anything to do with the form of Rangers.

Of course you don’t as it affords you an opportunity to get your abacus out however what we do know is Rangers, their fans and numbers don’t mix well.

And yes our form was absolutely fucking shite and we were playing absolutely fucking shite, we have regressed while Rangers have kind of stood still. Anyone with eyes not painted on could see that hence why Rangers fans you’ve not seen in here for months started to crawl out of the woodwork posting an abundance of shark memes. They all seem to have fucked off again….funny that

Edited by Jinky67

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Even you don't believe this pish. 

Oh I do but what’s funnier is that you believe you have made leaps forward, you haven’t, Celtic have regressed.

I genuinely can’t believe you let us back into this, blows my mind 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jinky67 said:

Of course you don’t as it affords you an opportunity to get your abacus out however what we do know is Rangers, their fans and numbers don’t mix well.

And yes our form was absolutely fucking shite and we were playing absolutely fucking shite, we have regressed while Rangers have kind of stood still. Anyone with eyes not painted on could see that hence why Rangers fans you’ve not seen in here for months started to crawl out of the woodwork posting an abundance of shark memes. They all seem to have fucked off again….funny that

The thing is though, you twisted the initial comment made (which was regarding Beale’s poor start to this season) and turned it into some overall comparison just to make it seem like we haven’t improved under Clement this season.

I’ve already highlighted why that is ultimately nonsense. It’s undeniable given the start we made under Beale. With four matches of the season left (3 league, 1 cup) we still have an outside chance of a treble, albeit the league is pretty much beyond us, IMO. The point was, absolutely nobody would’ve predicted that back in October.

Edited by AJF

1 hour ago, Jinky67 said:

Oh I do but what’s funnier is that you believe you have made leaps forward, you haven’t, Celtic have regressed.

I genuinely can’t believe you let us back into this, blows my mind 

“You haven’t got better, we’ve got worse”. A glowing endorsement for Rodgers.

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

The thing is though, you twisted the initial comment made (which was regarding Beale’s poor start to THIS season) and turned it into some overall comparison just to make it seem like we haven’t improved under Clement this season.

I’ve already highlighted why that is ultimately nonsense. It’s undeniable given the start we made under Beale. With four matches of the season left (3 league, 1 cup) we still have an outside chance of a treble, albeit the league is pretty much beyond us, IMO. The point was, absolutely nobody would’ve predicted that back in October.

I haven’t twisted anything bud, my point was very simple. You aren’t any better than you were when Beale was in charge and if he was left in charge your season would likely have panned out in similar fashion. 

You spouted the same nonsense last season about how Beale had closed the gap, he was gone by October and if this manager doesn’t win the league for you he too will be gone by October like the ones before him. It’s as if we have seen this movie before.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, AJF said:

“You haven’t got better, we’ve got worse”. A glowing endorsement for Rodgers.

99 points last season scoring 114 goals, we hit 93 if we win our last 3 games which is just 1 point better than Rangers total last season and a mile off the goals we scored last season. 

And I wasn’t trying to endorse Rodgers but then again this wasn’t a Rodgers has improved us debate was it? However I haven’t the audacity to even try suggest that and no amount of mental gymnastics will, if I were a Rangers fan I might try it, it’s what you do but to anyone else it’s blatantly obvious Celtic just aren’t as strong as we were last season

Edited by Jinky67

3 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

I haven’t twisted anything bud, my point was very simple. You aren’t any better than you were when Beale was in charge and if he was left in charge your season would likely have panned out in similar fashion. 

You spouted the same nonsense last season about how Beale had closed the gap, he was gone by October and if this manager doesn’t win the league for you he too will be gone by October like the ones before him. It’s as if we have seen this movie before.

But you kinda did, though. All KB was getting at was we’d have bitten your hand off to be in this position given the start of the season we had under Beale. 7 points adrift after 7 games was diabolical.

You have then changed the period of reference to include all of Beale’s games as a comparison. Beale was sacked with the highest win percentage of any top flight Rangers manager in our history, IIRC (both clubs histories if you like to view it that way 🙄). But that had no relevance given the start we made and the position we found ourselves in when Clement came in. We weren’t even 2nd in the league when Beale left.

He may well be out the door by October, but the fact is currently he has improved us from what started the season. He dragged us back into a title race of sorts, won the league cup, topped our Europa League group and has guided us to the Scottish cup final. Beale may or may not have achieved similar, but the writing was on the wall and I’d guess not and we’d be a bit worse off if he’d remained.

I don’t think many are saying that if we end up with just the league cup to show for it that it’ll be a successful season and Clement will get his share of criticism for that. But, simply put, he has improved us this season from what he inherited. That’s all. The challenge he will face is whether he can sustain that improvement. The last month or so has cast doubts.

This being billed as a title decider is wide of the mark. A title decider is if team A wins they win the league, and if team B wins they win the league.  Not the case here. It's only a title decider if one team wins. I feel better for getting that off my chest.

22 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

This being billed as a title decider is wide of the mark. A title decider is if team A wins they win the league, and if team B wins they win the league.  Not the case here. It's only a title decider if one team wins. I feel better for getting that off my chest.

You’re thinking of a winner takes all title decider. If Celtic win then it’s decided, so potential title decider is a more fitting characterisation. 

8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

You’re thinking of a winner takes all title decider. If Celtic win then it’s decided, so potential title decider is a more fitting characterisation. 

I'm happy with that. Also, the football is surely a secondary consideration today. What everyone is waiting for is to see what banners the Celtic fans will come up with given the publicity they will get in front of billions of worldwide viewers.

5 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I'm happy with that. Also, the football is surely a secondary consideration today. What everyone is waiting for is to see what banners the Celtic fans will come up with given the publicity they will get in front of billions of worldwide viewers.

Glad we agree. Can probably close the thread now. 

Prior to playing Rangers, I wanted us to take points off them, then a Celtic win, so we had led to Rangers losing the title to their rivals. 

Since getting beat, I now want a Rangers win, so that we then have the chance on Wednesday of ruining Celtic's season. 

What I'm saying is, I hate you both.

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Bit weird that a comment where I've ultimately said we aren't good enough has got Jinky so hot under the collar. 

Giving yourself way too much credit there mate but whatever helps get you through the day you fill your boots