The dull dull dull John Swinney thread

25 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

😂 fookin hell 

IMG_9210.jpeg

He has hair. Swinney could be in trouble. He has hope too by the looks of it. And a smashing lime green tie.

8 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Sexy Hitler?

Don't search for that on Steam, by the way. I made that mistake once, but I think I got away with it.

Spoiler

capsule_616x353.jpg

9 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

The SNP is in the mud.

Independence is out of the question for now so I'd give Labour a turn in power for a few years. They can't be worse that this lot.

Do you mean in Westminster or Holyrood? Or both?

If both, I'm not so sure about that.  Given the tricky situation Starmer will be in with the "British" media, I can't see a Scottish Government led by "Scottish" Labour being allowed to be more progressive here than Labour would be in England. If he becomes First Minister, Sarwar will be told what he's allowed to do. He mustn't rock the UK Labour boat. 

He won't be in a position to make Labour in Westminster look bad anyway as (AIUI) Starmer has said he'll stick to Tory tax and spend plans for the early years of the next Westminster Parliament.

Wouldn't surprise me if Sarwar is told to "reform" (ahem) the Scottish NHS, concessionary travel, prescriptions etc.  Starmer will be under pressure about every pound spent in Scotland.

Still, long way to go before the next general election... plenty of time for Labour to fek it up.  The Mail, Express and Telegraph haven't really  started yet.

1 minute ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Do you mean in Westminster or Holyrood? Or both?

If both, I'm not so sure about that.  Given the tricky situation Starmer will be in with the "British" media, I can't see a Scottish Government led by "Scottish" Labour being allowed to be more progressive here than Labour would be in England. If he becomes First Minister, Sarwar will be told what he's allowed to do. He mustn't rock the UK Labour boat. 

He won't be in a position to make Labour in Westminster look bad anyway as (AIUI) Starmer has said he'll stick to Tory tax and spend plans for the early years of the next Westminster Parliament.

Wouldn't surprise me if Sarwar is told to "reform" (ahem) the Scottish NHS, concessionary travel, prescriptions etc.  Starmer will be under pressure about every pound spent in Scotland.

Still, long way to go before the next general election... plenty of time for Labour to fek it up.  The Mail, Express and Telegraph haven't really  started yet.

That would by my concern too. That and the way it would be portrayed as a vote against independence. That and I have no faith that Scottish Labour would be any better. It’s a no from me. That said, at this moment the SNP have outstayed their welcome and in any other real country they would be due to be replaced. It wouldn’t surprise me if they are down a few MSPs in 2026.

Over to you Mr. Swinney.

It would be nice to know that the various ragtag Yoons wouldn’t see Scotland worse off and were actually capable of effective government.

50 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

The SNP is in the mud.

Independence is out of the question for now so I'd give Labour a turn in power for a few years. They can't be worse that this lot.

Two words - Jackie Baillie.

1 hour ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

The SNP is in the mud.

Old Lady Dancing GIF by truTV’s At Home with Amy Sedaris

Sad 😔 that the old boy who appeared from nowhere didn’t get a shot at running things. I wonder what his priorities would have been. Anyway, now it’s official, good luck 🤞 to John Swinney.

Will we see any difference now he’s in charge? 

18 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

The SNP is in the mud.

Starmer in the Guardian yesterday: Winning the trust of people across past divides, such as leave and remain, or yes and no in Scotland, is vital. Our country should demand a brighter future, and it’s only by coming together that we can secure it.

Kind of sums him up - ultra-vague waffle, no concrete policies, as he's terrified to do or say anything which might annoy the Brexity English gammons he needs to win power. Let's just all come together.  Groovy. I hope Labour oust the Tories overall but also I hope they win fewer seats than the SNP up here as they're offering Scotland the square root of f*ck all in terms of fresh ideas to make it a better place. Their appeal down south is to be as close to the Tories as possible on immigration, public spending etc., just without actually being the Tories.  No thanks.

Saw Swinney and the Woke Team opening for Ian Dury back in 1981. Some mohawk he had on him back in those days.

"Bloody SNP leeching me for tax" is a popular line among dafties earning minimum wage. Not saying that's what's going on here, likes.

45 minutes ago, HulltoonDee said:

The SNP are taxing us to death, Swinney and his woke team are utterly useless. 

LOLZ.

1 hour ago, HulltoonDee said:

The SNP are taxing us to death

This seems an opportune moment to remind everyone that 51% (a majority) of Scottish taxpayers pay less income tax than they would if they earned the same income anywhere else in the UK.

I suspect that @HulltoonDee may fall into this 51%. If Labour get into government in Holyrood, what will they do with regards to income tax? Do they plan to "simplify" the Scottish tax rates and bring them into line with rUK? That will mean a tax increase for 51% of low-paid Scottish taxpayers, to fund a tax cut for 49% of better paid Scottish taxpayers, including those on 6 figure salaries.

Does @HulltoonDee support this potential tax increase on the low paid?

1 hour ago, lichtgilphead said:

This seems an opportune moment to remind everyone that 51% (a majority) of Scottish taxpayers pay less income tax than they would if they earned the same income anywhere else in the UK.

I suspect that @HulltoonDee may fall into this 51%. If Labour get into government in Holyrood, what will they do with regards to income tax? Do they plan to "simplify" the Scottish tax rates and bring them into line with rUK? That will mean a tax increase for 51% of low-paid Scottish taxpayers, to fund a tax cut for 49% of better paid Scottish taxpayers, including those on 6 figure salaries.

If @HulltoonDee lived in the USA he’d be choosing a life of austerity just so he had enough money to buy a Trump bible and Trump trainers.

Scotland is the highest for tax in the UK. The moribund SNP are a crooked shambles, the Tories are dire, Labour is a catastrophe in the waiting. Welcome to 2024. 

3 minutes ago, HulltoonDee said:

Scotland is the highest for tax in the UK. The moribund SNP are a crooked shambles, the Tories are dire, Labour is a catastrophe in the waiting. Welcome to 2024. 

Libdem with Green Party/ Alba tendencies found 

2 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

The low paid argument is a smoke and mirror policy.  45p a week, or no saving at all, so that the SNP can trumpet that they're making tax cuts for the less well off.

tax.JPG.6d36223a097c817c8d61487f9b53992b.JPG