Alloa v Accies Groundhog Day Part One

Surprised there is no individual Match Thread up, so here goes.

Both teams much better than last season and both coming off decent results on Saturday.

This could go any way and for me, a lot depends on the team Rankin plays here and on Saturday.

Alloa will be fired up and there are a few in this Accies team who have questionable “cojones”, so we will find out soon enough.

Sadly I expect he will go with McGowan/Kilday even although Fergus Owens and the returning Jamie Hamilton are far superior- they should be our first choice central defence next season whatever League we are in.

Alloa are decent going forward with Bobby Wales and the wingers a worry and guys who can do any team damage.

A lot of folk who have been staying away going to these games I have read and 2 decent crowds for this League hopefully.

Good on Alloa for allowing their Season Ticket holders access tonight and also a worthy clap for Accies allowing Season Book holders in for half price on Saturday.

However,lose on Saturday and we can expect another poisonous atmosphere as no way do our Management Team deserve a three year contract  as they have not showed anything to show why this is the case.

Let the games begin.

I’m looking forward to this. Not because I enjoy playoff football, but it’s been months since we played a meaningful game.

Alloa are no mugs, and will give us a hard time, but we should have enough to get by them over two legs. No excuses.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Alloa v Montrose final plz

Not a fan of this because it means we'll be away from home on the Wednesday night 8:05pm kickoff. Quick head maths means I'm not getting home to 1am on Thursday after that game. Would enjoy Inverness always a novelty winning away from home.

Edited by LeodhasXD

7 hours ago, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

... However,lose on Saturday and we can expect another poisonous atmosphere as no way do our Management Team deserve a three year contract  as they have not showed anything to show why this is the case.

... well ... apart from comfortably gaining 2nd place in the league and a good shot at the promotion playoffs ... clearly, total and utter failure, aye?

Keep reading this stuff from Accies fans - what exactly do you expect?

You want failure?  Look down the M74 by 60 miles and we'll show you what failure looks like.

Have a really horrible feeling about these games. Managing duo that have achieved nothing of note, and widely regarded amongst the support as not good enough, sign a 3 year deal right before going into their most important games of their tenure. 

Can see where this story is going, can only hope there's a twist.

We lost before our away legs in the play-offs last year 1-0, and while we showed that can be overcome, why not do ourselves a favour and go for the advantage early, and take it into the home game.

50 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

We heard this all the time when we were in the Premiership. It was nonsense then too.

53 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

... well ... apart from comfortably gaining 2nd place in the league and a good shot at the promotion playoffs ... clearly, total and utter failure, aye?

You want failure?  Look down the M74 by 60 miles and we'll show you what failure looks like.

Some Accies fans remind me of a lot of Falkirk fans when we first came down. Some thinking we should only need to turn up to win because we were full time with the biggest budget blah, blah, then turning on the team when that didn't happen which, in turn, just created a more poisonous atmosphere. In reality, we were a L1 team at that point because we failed to stay up and it was obvious that a lot of hard work was going to be needed to turn us around.

Rankin has them finishing on 74 points which we didn't get anywhere near previously, their biggest 'failure' being that they only managed to scrape one point from a fantastic Falkirk side. It's unusual for a team to be so dominant over the course of a season and Accies would have been much closer to winning the thing in a 'normal' season.

I get that they don't like his style of play, tactics etc but they have no given right to win and, TBH, they really need to be a bit more humble because they're a wee team who have been punching way above their weight for many years now!

Think we go into these games in pretty good shape with the squad well rested and on a high after a really good second half of the season. When we have been on our game we've been really good. At the same time, the team has been a work in progress and naturally a bit up and down. We'll need to see the team in their best form over these two games to have a chance, but if we manage that then I think it will be close. 

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

It's incredible isn't it... No idea where this sense of entitlement comes from...it's not like they were big & successful in previous generations....they've always been thought of as total diddies & the fact they have never won a major honour in their history backs that up

2 minutes ago, Hugh Hillshaveyes said:

It's incredible isn't it... No idea where this sense of entitlement comes from...it's not like they were big & successful in previous generations....they've always been thought of as total diddies & the fact they have never won a major honour in their history backs that up

I've no particular axe to grind with Accies, in fact the opposite - I feel for their loyal fans, they're one of Scotland's bigger towns and would command a larger support were it not their misfortune to be within the main catchment area for the Ugly Sisters (and yes, I'm aware that the whole bloody country is to a certain degree the catchment area for the Uglies).  However, I keep reaing this "abject failure" stuff and then I look at the league table and objectively the statistics just don't back up the myth.

Posted (edited)

Mental that the people who watch their team play every week are in no position to comment on the shite getting served up to them weekly compared to randoms from Grangemouth and Dumfries.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

8 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Mental that the people who watch their team play every week are in no position to comment on the shite getting served up to them weekly compared to randoms from Grangemouth and Dumfries.

Well, that's just a lot of shite isn't it. If you'd actually taken the trouble to read what I wrote, you would know that.

3 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

In a scenario that QOTS had gotten relegated this season then you went on and kept Bartley for next season and finished 2nd in league 2 and were likely to bottle the playoffs what would you been saying?

11 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

I'm not saying you can't comment on your own team, that's what the forum is for, and I always enjoy reading other clubs fans views ... but this apparent "shite" that you are watching has got you runners up in the league (to an excellent Falkirk side - any other season and you'd probably have won the league) and in with a very good chance of promotion back to the Championship.  I'm just saying that objectively the facts don't tally with the myth.

... oh, and I happen to live 7 miles from New Douglas Park btw ...

Falkirk fan here. 
i live 6 miles from Alloa and was in the town earlier this morning.  There are major resurfacing road works near Recreation Park just at Clackmannan on the A907. I would give yourselves plenty of time if you’re heading through to tonight’s game. According to the road signage they are lasting a couple of days. 
unfortunately there are not too many many options to divert

1. Travel to towards Forestmill and sat nav to Alloa from there

2. Travel towards Stirling and follow signs for St Andrews and then Alloa, this route would take you into Alloa from the west side of the town. 

Best of luck in your pursuit of promotion back to the Championship!

6 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

In a scenario that QOTS had gotten relegated this season then you went on and kept Bartley for next season and finished 2nd in league 2 and were likely to bottle the playoffs what would you been saying?

That's a bit of a stretch of a comparison, Bartley's management style was in serious danger of taking us to the bottom basement tier and every club's fans in this league could see it at first hand and many commented on it on here ... a FT side facing the drop into oblivion, that's hardly the scenario you've been faced with at Accies.  Queens fans would have bitten your hand off to be 2nd in this league and in with a decent shout at promotion back to the Championship.

From an Alloa point of view feeling more confident going into the playoffs this year compared to last year. Squads in a much better way with a fully-fit squad (barr Deveney) compared to the disaster of the squad depth this time last year. All games against Accies have been close this year and suspect that may occur again.