Alloa v Accies Groundhog Day Part One

I thought Hamilton won it in spite of Rankin. They were ok throughout, and did deserve the win overall, but rarely anything above that and didn’t seem to have much of a plan during the last 10 minutes. There is the basis of a decent team there but improvements are definitely required for the likes of Lyness, Williamson/Davidson and O’Hara. They might have enough to squeeze past Inverness, don’t think there’s a huge amount between the teams, but doubt either of those games will be classics.

Alloa started well but fell out the game a bit once Accies equalised, though they definitely picked up a bit again in the second half once Sammon came on. Hetherington and Steven were the standouts for me, I haven’t seen Hetherington play since he left Falkirk but he looked back to his usual self and Steven was great fun to watch, always looking dangerous and was really unlucky with that free-kick. I didn’t think they tested Lyness too much but obviously that’s harder to do with 10 men. Lots for them to look forward to next season though, seem a much improved team under Andy Graham.

29 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Tell your wee wanks not to break bus windows then. Until then, round ye.

They're not my wee wanks anymore than they are yours.

31 minutes ago, Waspie said:

I know you like to defend the refs! And I normally agree. But given the magnitude of this game I think a good ref tells him after the first yellow to wisen up or he's gone. And he didn't consistently apply the laws later on despite indicating time wasting on several occasions. But I accept that's still not the main point - Neil was to blame. I'd also be questioning if he has a future at the club. 

Normally because they take stick and criticism when it isn't justified. 🙂 And IMO that's what you are doing here. 😉

A "good" ref's main duty is to apply the laws of the game. I don't believe, but I don't know as I'm no expert, that he has any choice when someone who has just been booked (presumably for dissent) then clearly shows dissent again.

I'm not sure in what way the ref didn't consistently apply the laws later on re time wasting tbh. 

10 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

They're definitely yours as they wear your team's colours.

In what way does that make them mine, you muppet? 🤣

Leaving disagreement on the ref and muppet Hamilton fan aside, I feel that this Alloa team gave us everything they have this season and we're a bit unfortunate to lose today (although Accies just about edged it).

We had a great start, the team looking like they genuinely believed they could win, and deserved our lead (delighted for Quinn). The equaliser was definitely a poor one from Alloa's point of view - too easy for Tumilty.

McKay was poor for the throw in which lead to Accies second. Had plenty time to clear the ball, but dithered looking for a pass that wasn't on when he could have cleared it. Good second goal, but fine margins.

I'm not sure going down to ten men didn't work against Hamilton tbh. They didn't look comfortable against ten men, especially after Andy G's introduction of Sammo (a spot on decision IMO), which allowed us to go direct if we wanted to. Terrific assist and goal from Wales and the big man.

In truth I thought we were very good second half with Stevie H and Kurtis tremendous in the middle of the park. It wasn't to be though and it felt inevitable that Hamilton would sneak a goal.

Good luck to them in the final - I feel they'll just edge it.

52 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

It’s hard to be too critical when we’ve won but we made hard work of that.

Tumilty was great. Our second goal was a fantastic piece of play, I’m about 90% the ball went out for a throw but it was close. I also thought Lyness played well a good audition to get a gig for us next season if we don’t go up.

Very poor defending to allow Alloa an equaliser.

The negatives being Dylan McGowan again, unless Kilday had a knock it was criminal for him to be the one to come off over McGowan. Sammon had McGowan on toast the full 2nd half. Williamson not coming out for second half was a nice surprise.

Lyness our goalie for next year? You’re taking the piss.

Well that was ....quite a day 

Morgyn get a grip please,  always mouthing off at the officials and it cost us  IMO, Andy should/will have a word with him 

well done to the team and the management for getting this far with a bad start to the season 

For the accies fans who praised our team best of luck , for the mask wearing f*ckwits with boulders karma will get you .

Wasn't Neill one of the 3 that got a two year deal? Him, McKay and Hethrington I think?

Like I said earlier, he has previous for mouthing off to refs and the linesman. Hopefully this sending off will make him see sense and he will cut it out.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, stepek 4 tellys said:

Lyness our goalie for next year? You’re taking the piss.

You’ll note that I said if we don’t go up. If we go up then yes a new keeper is badly needed.

However if we stay down Lyness is fine. He’s probably on relatively cheap wages, Falkirk have shown this season you don’t need an outstanding keeper to win this league just a semi-competent one (or two in their case).

The only thing I can discredit Lyness for is that his kicking/distribution is horrendous.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

1 hour ago, printer said:

Leaving disagreement on the ref and muppet Hamilton fan aside, I feel that this Alloa team gave us everything they have this season and we're a bit unfortunate to lose today (although Accies just about edged it).

We had a great start, the team looking like they genuinely believed they could win, and deserved our lead (delighted for Quinn). The equaliser was definitely a poor one from Alloa's point of view - too easy for Tumilty.

McKay was poor for the throw in which lead to Accies second. Had plenty time to clear the ball, but dithered looking for a pass that wasn't on when he could have cleared it. Good second goal, but fine margins.

I'm not sure going down to ten men didn't work against Hamilton tbh. They didn't look comfortable against ten men, especially after Andy G's introduction of Sammo (a spot on decision IMO), which allowed us to go direct if we wanted to. Terrific assist and goal from Wales and the big man.

In truth I thought we were very good second half with Stevie H and Kurtis tremendous in the middle of the park. It wasn't to be though and it felt inevitable that Hamilton would sneak a goal.

Good luck to them in the final - I feel they'll just edge it.

Copium

Posted (edited)

About 20 minute warning on the highlights. Had a good chat with Andy and then had a few woodfired pizzas in the back garden before sitting down to the highlights tonight. Surreal day again like last year's second leg. Morgyn Neill needs to have some composure. I wasn't too sure of some of the refereeing from the early penalty shout to the lack of added on time at the end after the ball being in play for a minute and a half of the minimum 4(five actual) added minutes. Can't help but think we've underachieved because on their day, especially with the loan boys, that team can be unplayable.

Right good chance to challenge for a title for every team in the division as it stands for next season so we might be in for an all time classic of a season coming.

Edited by LeodhasXD

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Is Rankin under contract next season? 

Sadly a 3 year extension.👿😡😢

Yesterday we witnessed a real Manager who got everything out of his team when down to 10 men against a clueless dud who had no idea what to do in that scenario.

As per usual, once the team was announced it met with the usual groans as Rankin’s favourites retained their place.

A nervy win although I think Alloa are better than Inverness, so we will see what transpires.

10 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

About 20 minute warning on the highlights. Had a good chat with Andy and then had a few woodfired pizzas in the back garden before sitting down to the highlights tonight. Surreal day again like last year's second leg. Morgyn Neill needs to have some composure. I wasn't too sure of some of the refereeing from the early penalty shout to the lack of added on time at the end after the ball being in play for a minute and a half of the minimum 4(five actual) added minutes. Can't help but think we've underachieved because on their day, especially with the loan boys, that team can be unplayable.

Right good chance to challenge for a title for every team in the division as it stands for next season so we might be in for an all time classic of a season coming.

Excellent service again, m8.

Andy very impressive in the interview again.

Left feeling gutted yesterday as it's definitely a lost opportunity. Looking back over the 2 games , the goals we lost have been abysmal over the tie and despite us playing well and being excellent middle to front. Our defence across the whole season has let us down. 

We have been one of the top scoring teams in the country since Andy Graham took over but the goals conceded have dragged us down.

The playground sending off aside, across the tie we have conceded poor avoidable goals that accies really didn't need to work hard for. Playing left sided midfield players at left back has given us a weakness despite how good we are going forward. 

This aside , a superb display yesterday from the young Alloa team fighting right to the end. Andy has certainly given us our team back and lifted the post pandemic malaise especially after the bazza experiment. I am looking forward to next season . 

On 11/05/2024 at 19:15, printer said:

Normally because they take stick and criticism when it isn't justified. 🙂 And IMO that's what you are doing here. 😉

A "good" ref's main duty is to apply the laws of the game. I don't believe, but I don't know as I'm no expert, that he has any choice when someone who has just been booked (presumably for dissent) then clearly shows dissent again.

I'm not sure in what way the ref didn't consistently apply the laws later on re time wasting tbh. 

I can see the point from Waspie in as much as the referee managing the situation based on the vital nature of the game.

We dont actually know the words that were said, but regardless its a complete heads gone moment from Morgyn Neill and a very costly one from an Alloa perspective. The "what if" had he stayed on the park is just that though- we were terrific in the second half with ten men, Sammon wouldnt have come on at half time and opened the game up a bit.

3 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

I can see the point from Waspie in as much as the referee managing the situation based on the vital nature of the game.

We dont actually know the words that were said, but regardless its a complete heads gone moment from Morgyn Neill and a very costly one from an Alloa perspective. The "what if" had he stayed on the park is just that though- we were terrific in the second half with ten men, Sammon wouldnt have come on at half time and opened the game up a bit.

Sammo has been terrific recently coming off the bench and of course his start in the Falkirk game. 

He's clearly still very fit and I hope we keep him, there's still a role there.

I think hes on (relatively) fairly high money, so Andy might review whether he continues to provide value.

His experience shows in the bigger games. Saturday he essentially struck home his only real chance on goal. No big time aura about him, works as hard as anyone in the squad and not too proud to play off the bench. Id also like to see another season from him, overall Ive really liked him as an Alloa player.

3 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

I think hes on (relatively) fairly high money, so Andy might review whether he continues to provide value.

His experience shows in the bigger games. Saturday he essentially struck home his only real chance on goal. No big time aura about him, works as hard as anyone in the squad and not too proud to play off the bench. Id also like to see another season from him, overall Ive really liked him as an Alloa player.

Didn't know that, but it makes sense. Potentially a compromise to be reached with a reduced deal.