Raith Rovers 🔵⚪️ [3] Vs [3] Partick Thistle 🔴🟡 [Rovers progress on penalties]

Posted (edited)

Hrhm. Still in it technically, but bloody hell. Cant start with the same 11 in the same shape next week, but idk what we can actually do 😅

Obviously slated him right before the goal but would be tempted to start Alston next time out, or if he does come on as a sub to do it earlier if the midfield looks fucked. Far and away our best threat, decent set pieces too. Graham unlucky a bit, hopefully more of an impact from him on Friday.

NO MCINROY WIDE RIGHT.  Hes not got the close control or agility to replicate what Lawless does.

Think we had to win tonight but just hope its not a gut wrenchingly shan way we go out of the playoffs on Friday like the Livi cup game earlier this season or, well, us last season.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Posted (edited)

Take that all day long after an horrific 1st half. We could easily have been out the tie by half time but fair play to Doolan for the subs. Neilson and to a lesser extent McInroy were awful and we only got going after they were removed. Funny how a goal changes a game. We suddenly looked full of running and Rovers looked leggy. Got to start the 11 that finished the game tonight. First goal at Starks will be crucial!

Edited by Sting777

29 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Well, we go to Friday’s game with a wee bit of hope, which is far more than I expected based on the first 70 odd minutes.

Yup, I was considering rage quitting but the subs gave is something, not sure what exactly.

Ngwenya didn't do much on the ball but stopped the Rovers right back getting forward like in the first half, to good effect.

We were absolutely shite for 70 minutes and Raith should have been 3 or 4 up.

Worst display of the season barring the tankings at Tynecastle and Tannadice.

Maybe they were conserving energy. 

Glad to have a slim hope thanks to Ghostie's ghoul...sorry...goal.

No arguments with the result but as said, could have been a lot worse.

Massive uphill task on Friday and Rovers now firm favourites.

I think Bannigan will definitely start in place of Neilson on Friday, maybe O Reilly for Muirhead as well which may be forced by injury anyway, but not sure Doolan will make other changes. 

Just now, Fuctifano said:

I think Bannigan will definitely start in place of Neilson on Friday, maybe O Reilly for Muirhead as well which may be forced by injury anyway, but not sure Doolan will make other changes. 

Be difficult to leave Alston out after that last 20 minutes!

17 minutes ago, renton said:

Having said that, I thought Corr did really well when he came on.

It was pleasing to see him come on despite being patched up rather than moving Brown into defence. 

1 minute ago, Claudia Gentile said:

The big ones seemed to be hit quite close to him and central to the goal. I'd be questioning my keeper if he didn't make them. 

The save from Graham late on was a great save 

I’m maybe generally pessimistic but not sure where the Thistle fans’ view that they could have been “3 or 4 down at halftime” comes from?

I thought we slightly edged the 1st half and took our chances while Thistle slightly edged 2nd half and deserved their goal.

Im a bit pished and all but can’t mind their keeper having much to do while Big Kev was called upon several times… 

We are well in the driving seat with home leg to come but I’m not buying for a minute that we deserved any more that a one goal advantage going into 2nd leg

Said before KO that the midfield concerned me, especially Neilson who was off it in both matches against Airdrie. Seemed to be much better when Bannigan and Alston came on, can’t see a situation where Bannigan doesn’t start for Neilson on Friday now. Not really confident of progressing but we’re obviously still in it and all the pressure is completely on Raith. Nicking another goal late on, which but for Dabrowski we may have done, woulda made it even more interesting for the 2nd leg but guess we’ll have to make do with the 2-1. Disappointed in the way we’ve started all 3 play off games, appearing on the back foot from the off just makes it so much more tricky. The opposite of what we did last season (in the play offs) where we seemed to be at teams from relatively early on. 

1 minute ago, Fuctifano said:

Thought the Dabrowski save from Graham was good but the rest were all either things you'd expect a keeper to deal with easily or Hollywood stuff. 

I would also book goalies when they make a save then throw themselves to ground for 15 seconds. Its bloody infuriating and Dabrowski was guilty of it on several straightforward saves tonight!

5 minutes ago, Pride of Fife said:

I’m maybe generally pessimistic but not sure where the Thistle fans’ view that they could have been “3 or 4 down at halftime” comes from?

I thought we slightly edged the 1st half and took our chances while Thistle slightly edged 2nd half and deserved their goal.

Im a bit pished and all but can’t mind their keeper having much to do while Big Kev was called upon several times… 

We are well in the driving seat with home leg to come but I’m not buying for a minute that we deserved any more that a one goal advantage going into 2nd leg

There was a period of time in the first half where every time Raith went up the pitch you felt they could score, even in the first 5, 10 minutes of the 2nd half (with the Vaughan effort for example) which prompted Doolan into the changes, so much better on the ball than Thistle and playing with a clear style. That said, except pick the ball out the net twice Mitchell didn’t have too much to do. Over the 90 minutes I don’t think Raith really deserved more than the goal lead and the Thistle play in the second 45 probably merited the goal it got. 

Just now, Sting777 said:

I would also book goalies when they make a save then throw themselves to ground for 15 seconds. Its bloody infuriating and Dabrowski was guilty of it on several straightforward saves tonight!

Tam Cerny would’ve been sent off nearly every week if that was the case. 

3 minutes ago, Pride of Fife said:

Turner had a huge chance in the first half too, and Watson missed a decent chance early on. We had a couple of half chances but nothing as clear cut as the two goals or Turner's chance. 

Thought Raith had us seriously on the ropes at 2-0 and if they'd kept going would almost certainly have killed us off, Stanton and Turner were strolling the midfield and Vaughan was giving our defence a torrid time. There was a clear shift in mindset at 2-0 and in the end probably a touch fortunate to hold on to 2-1. Can only hope that mindset continues on Friday. 

For us, Bannigan has to start on Friday, I'd like to see Alston in for McInroy, although he's not a winger neither is McInroy. Alternatively we just trust the one other winger we have at the club even if he's 18.

Think we'll put up a decent fight on Friday but Raith's strength in depth will ultimately see them through. 

15 minutes ago, Pride of Fife said:

Turners chance and even more so Connolly' s selfishness when Stanton had an easy tap in if he'd squared the ball to him. It could well have been four before HT.