St Johnstone vs Ross County clash of the hapless

It really was dreadful. I’ve never seen a team looking so devoid of effort or belief or energy in a must-win game.

Thank god for Sidibeh, but I fear it’s just delaying the inevitable. Ross County probably won’t beat Aberdeen, but are we capable of beating Motherwell? I’ve seen nothing to suggest it.

Honestly still can’t get my head around the lack of drive and determination from those players. Even if they know they’re away and they don’t have any particular affinity with the club, surely they have some professional pride.

far too many of them were just totally off it again tonight. The only passion in the first half was from Carey but it was channelled into raging at Drey and Gordon and not in to actually trying to do anything useful.

Ref was baffling either not giving a single thing or giving slight knock. And that ending, what the hell actually happened there? Looked like he did the var symbol after he blew up for full time, but the single peep that made everyone other than Carey stop was fucking mental. Took all the atmosphere out of the crowd.

Theo Bair scoring against us on Sunday after MacPherson gives away a slack pass to a massively out of position and otherwise anonymous Nicky Clark feels like the perfect ending to this post double period, almost a shame we can’t just let Partick/Raith up.

Pathetic display, as expected. Echo everyone else on delaying the inevitable, not a chance we go to Motherwell and win.

Phillips could have the ball on the goal line and still manage to stick it over the bar. 

That actually feels like a defeat tonight. Not that I thought we were particularly good, but we were pretty comfortable with most of what StJ threw at us. 

From about the 70 minute mark you could see the midfield drop deeper and deeper, just inviting pressure. Another goal in that second half and we see the game out fairly comfortably, but any time we broke forward we weren't accurate enough. 

The goal we conceded was schoolboy stuff. Three center backs within the 6 yard box and the smallest man on the park is gifted a free header from a scoop into the box.

Sunday is going to be a long and torturous afternoon. 

42 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I know it's given us a chance on Sunday but honestly, I feel the draw is the worst of all worlds for us. If we'd won, we could go with our strongest 11 knowing that a win keeps us safe. A defeat tonight means we could give our strongest 11 (lol) an 8 day rest before the play off final. This outcome just means we have to play our best players (double lol) and it might be all for nothing 5 days before a tough away match in either Kirkcaldy or Glasgow. 

Spot on Kyle. It just feels like that equaliser was simply to prolong the suffering.

Make everyone think about going through on Sunday, or at least having to be invested in the game.

7 minutes ago, central staggie said:

That actually feels like a defeat tonight. Not that I thought we were particularly good, but we were pretty comfortable with most of what StJ threw at us. 

From about the 70 minute mark you could see the midfield drop deeper and deeper, just inviting pressure. Another goal in that second half and we see the game out fairly comfortably, but any time we broke forward we weren't accurate enough. 

The goal we conceded was schoolboy stuff. Three center backs within the 6 yard box and the smallest man on the park is gifted a free header from a scoop into the box.

Sunday is going to be a long and torturous afternoon. 

I don't disagree with any of this really, but I was right behind Carey's cross for the equaliser and it was an absolute beauty. It doesn't mean that the County giants shouldn't have dealt with it right enough, but I'd class the corner Carey took a couple of minutes later as a scoop, the cross for the goal was a zinger. 

or something. 

Still raging Cowie took Dhanda and Murray off. Killed any real forward impetus we had and letting Sidibe score from a header in the box where he absolutely outjumps a far bigger man is criminal. Very similar to Drysdale getting mugged on a header by Nicky Clark.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Comrie said:

Still raging Cowie took Dhanda and Murray off. Killed any real forward impetus we had 

It was a bizarre change, and you could tell he'd already decided the game was done. Quite why he was resting players when a win last night makes Sunday meaningless for you is baffling really.

Edited by RandomGuy.

6 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

The cross was the only decent play Carey* had in 90 minutes.

*saints

The only time he came to the left hand side and we had someone with a left foot we scored a goal. To me that’s an obvious adjustment on the pitch that our so called management team can’t see. Instead for 90 minutes we left a right footbed fullback playing against County’s wingback and centreback alone with no help. Staggeringly basic to sort and yet we did f**k all about it. 

1 hour ago, Comrie said:

Still raging Cowie took Dhanda and Murray off. Killed any real forward impetus we had and letting Sidibe score from a header in the box where he absolutely outjumps a far bigger man is criminal. Very similar to Drysdale getting mugged on a header by Nicky Clark.

I said that at the time.  Cowie might have just talked himself out of a contract.   Bewildering subs.  

46 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I said that at the time.  Cowie might have just talked himself out of a contract.   Bewildering subs.  

Agree subs were baffling, really didn’t follow WTF Cowie was up to. Took all the steam from County.

3 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

That reaction to going a goal down though. Ooft. 

Shitebags. 

I really do sense your players are more weak willed than ours.  Not necessarily less competent, although that’s not a high bar.

The Dhanda goal is a fabulous goal, but the St Johnstone players basically waved him through.  

Just now, Savage Henry said:

I really do sense your players are more weak willed than ours.  Not necessarily less competent, although that’s not a high bar.

The Dhanda goal is a fabulous goal, but the St Johnstone players basically waved him through.  

The goal was unbelievably bad from our perspective. No one closed him down before the pass, Macpherson and Phillips just let him walk passed them without any effort to stop them. McGowan had no option but follow Murray and the rest of the team just let Dhanda pick his spot. 

County goal was a joy to watch (rotten defending tho) but the Saints goal was schoolboy County defending. Frustrating stuff losing goals like that, particularly given the last gasp timing. 

6 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I really do sense your players are more weak willed than ours.  

Theres no character in them, i think.

Against Livingston, a massive match where they've actually played well, they collapsed.

20 minutes of a game left, at 1-1, and a good performance behind them, and suddenly all the basics vanish, simple things become hard, and they're squabbling with each other, just because they conceded a goal.

They'll never survive conceding a goal in the play offs.

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I’m beginning to think Ryan Leak isn’t very good.  

He actually had one of his best games for us, I thought.

RE the subs - I didn't have any issue with them at the time, and probably still don't now. I personally would have kept Murray on for his pressing, but we were pretty toothless in the middle until the Loturi came on and we had 2 players screening the defence.

I would add, nobody would be talking about the subs if that ball got yeeted out of the stadium instead of in our net. A laps of concentration cost us, not the subs.

Should have won that. Didn't. Same old County.

Edited by StoneThrowAway