Spartans v Dumbarton (Play off final double header)

2012 play offs.

Semi final 1st leg - 2-1 win at home with Tony Wallace scoring.

2nd leg 0-0 away.

Final 1st leg - 2-1 win at home with Tony Wallace scoring. 

2nd leg - 4-1 win away with Tony Wallace scoring. 

Seem familiar?

I thought Spartans were shite, especially first half, BUT Dumbarton didn't really  take advantage of that and have maybe missed their best chance.

Thinking Spartans MUST be a better team than they showed tonight? So, I've a feeling they will get over the line on Friday.

I'm usually wrong though, so congrats Dumbarton! 👍 

Don't mind my flippant post above. I thought we were superb in the first half after weathering a bit of pressure from Spartans. Having only just seen the stamp on here, I can't believe he wasn't sent off. It'll be tough on Friday but if we can score first, I think we'll be fine. 

I'm going to be uncharacteristically positive here.  IMO this has been the strongest quartet of teams in the League One play-off in recent years and we've now competed well in three matches without loss.

Tonight I got the impression that Forthbank had taken more out of us than Balmoor did of Spartans, and that opportunistic goal after half time gave them a huge lift.  We now need to forget any perceived injustices and controversial decisions and be right up for Friday night.

It promises to be quite a game and also potentially the biggest test yet of Stevie Farrell's game management.  Bring it on.

Cammy Russell should have seen a 2nd yellow for a rather cynical dive in the box. Referee and the stand side linesman were both absolutely garbage all night.. The inconsistency was annoying and the stand side linesman gave absolutely nothing all night until the ref gave it first.

Moan about Russell and the officials out the way, I thought we started the game quite poorly. First 10 minutes or so we didnt really look like we settled well. I thought we weathered some early pressure before finding our feet in the game. The more the first half went on then the more we looked the better of the 2 sides. I thought we deserved some kind of half time lead, although 2 goals was perhaps a tad fortunate.

Thought Spartans started the 2nd half well. Sonkur got the goal to cut our lead and again we had a 10-15 minute spell where we didnt really cope with the pressure the visitors were putting us under. Regained composure a bit, but Spartans were unlucky to hit the bar with that effort. At times I thought our defending was a bit last gasp, but there werent too many chances on Hogarth and Spartans seemed to fall away from the game again in the 2nd half. A lot like the first 45 minutes - Spartans with the best of the first 10-15 minutes of the half but Dumbarton settling into things and ultimately coping well with the opposition.

2-1 feels like a fair result. I'll say the same about Friday as I did about the 2nd leg of the Stirling game. We can't afford to play the 2nd leg to try and defend  that lead because if Spartans get the leveller in the tie then there's a bit of risk that our heads drop and we panic. Play Friday like it's 0-0. Don't take needless risks, but we can't sit deep and let Spartans attack us. I think we'll need a goal on Friday night because I think Spartans will score. 

Second half reminiscent of Saturday going from playing with decent control to ceding possession and territory.

Could have had it out of sight in the first half.

Hope they get through Friday without one of those temporary periods of loss of belief.

Real game of two halves.

21 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm going to be uncharacteristically positive here.  IMO this has been the strongest quartet of teams in the League One play-off in recent years and we've now competed well in three matches without loss.

Tonight I got the impression that Forthbank had taken more out of us than Balmoor did of Spartans, and that opportunistic goal after half time gave them a huge lift.  We now need to forget any perceived injustices and controversial decisions and be right up for Friday night.

It promises to be quite a game and also potentially the biggest test yet of Stevie Farrell's game management.  Bring it on.

Agree with this. I think it was bound to be the case.

Posted (edited)

According g to all my var contacts watchin on tv

offside goal correct decision

should have been red card

should have been pen 

Edited by cedrick1

2 minutes ago, cedrick1 said:

According g to all my var contacts watchin on tv

offside goal correct decision

should have been red card

should have been pen 

Did they ever actually show a proper replay of the offside for 3-0? I switched over at HT, but at the time, they didn’t show it properly.

I hope every man and his dog in Dumbarton makes it along to Pilton on Friday.

1 minute ago, Fast_Action said:

What is it with Tony Wallace and you guys?  Showed zilch when he was with us.  

We were his first senior club back around 2010, Tony's always loved us & he's come home.

9 minutes ago, Fast_Action said:

What is it with Tony Wallace and you guys?  Showed zilch when he was with us.  

To be fair, he had a reasonably successful time with Annan too, looking at things from the outside.

That being said, he has been a real surprise to many this season. I thought he would be a good experienced person to have as a squad player but he has contributed so much more than that. His fitness levels are incredible and he hardly ever wastes possession, compared to a lot of other players if they were playing the same position/role. He also very rarely has a bad game, very consistent and hopefully he bangs in another couple on Friday 🤞

Super impressed by Cian Newbury this evening. Thought he really stepped up and provided some much need grit in the second half when we were rocking a little. I should hope he goes on to have a great career once he leaves the Rock.

It's an odd feeling overall with that match. We went from looking like we might steamroller Spartans at one stage to holding on grimly at periods in the second half. All to play for on Friday.

Our pitch remains a hellscape - bin it and start again. 

Job done again tonight but it does feel a bit like an opportunity missed in terms of not being further ahead. I don’t really understand why Farrell is so reluctant to make changes, after a gruelling game on Saturday it was clear that Wallace, Orsi and Wilson were blowing oot their hoops after 60 minutes and it was to our detriment. That’s 3 games in a row now we’ve looked dominant in the first half and looked tired and leggy in the second half. 

Ruth was fucking tremendous in that first half, he’s probably my favourite Sons player since Paul McGinn. I absolutely love him and if he’s with us next year I’ll be shocked. Newbury once again left me wondering how good the Hamilton midfield must be that he isn’t one of the first names on their teamsheet. 

All to play for on Friday but we’ve left ourselves in a good position and I’ll be expecting us to get over the line. Gutted I wont be there but god bless the teuchter channel for allowing me to watch it.

1 minute ago, George Parr said:

Super impressed by Cian Newbury this evening. Thought he really stepped up and provided some much need grit in the second half when we were rocking a little. I should hope he goes on to have a great career once he leaves the Rock.

Our pitch remains a hellscape - bin it and start again. 

I thought he was excellent too.

Real calm head but with a bit of dig about him too. Class.

That pitch is a horror. It's no better than last year.