Spartans v Dumbarton (Play off final double header)

7 minutes ago, WattersIsGod said:

I thought he was excellent too.

Real calm head but with a bit of dig about him too. Class.

That pitch is a horror. It's no better than last year.

Agree, he had a great game tonight and is a big reason why we are ahead in the tie.

Regarding the pitch, that may be true but you could argue it, somewhat, as we didn't have a single home match postponed due to the pitch this season. Miraculous really!

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

Div Wilson MUST NOT start on Saturday. Thought Lennon had some great deliveries.

Correct. Boy did well 1st half on Saturday and tonight. He was a passenger from the kick off on Saturday and we were screaming for a replacement as Stirling had more of the ball. Tonight, I felt the 3 in the middle lost control but the other 2 were able to get vital tackles in and cover. I felt we badly lacked someone a bit closer to Ruth like I feel Jinky offers. 

I had to remind myself that that's the first time Spartans have lost since they last played us. Because it did feel a bit weirdly deflating at the end.

I think it mostly stung because Ayrton Sonkur shouldn't have been near the pitch in the second-half. Steven Kirkland and his fourth official both saw it. So to decide that wasn't a red makes me ask serious questions of their ability to take charge of games as important as this. 

That being said, 2-1 was probably a fair scoreline. For the first 10 minutes of both half we couldn't get near Spartans. In the first-half the goal made way for some of the best football we've played all season. And we were unlucky not to be further ahead. In the second-half the game dipped. Spartans looked happy with a 2-1 and we weren't sure whether to stick or twist. And didn't really do either.

In terms of performances, Cian Newbury is absolutely sensational. And I'm so glad he did it live on TV in such a big game. The wee man is a class act who is going to have a long and successful career at a far higher level than ourselves or Accies. He reads the game superbly, he gets around the park well. He's a tenacious tackler. Good in the air. He's the complete package at 18.

Michael Ruth's first half was classic Michael Ruth. His play for the second goal is the sort of stuff we've seen all season, and it was nice that someone was on the end to finish it off for once! 

Ruth is my favourite Sons player in years. I've developed Bryan Prunty-esque feelings for him and I want him to fire us to promotion so I have an excuse to hug him. He's just everything you want in a striker. The hold up play of Christian Nadè with the workrate of Chris Kane. If he doesn't have his pick of part-time clubs (and some FT offers) I'll be shocked.

I think the comments about Forthbank taking its toll are spot on. Gal, Orsi, Div Wilson and Carlo all looked leggy at times. And I was surprised not to see Blair Malcolm introduced when we were starting to lose a lot of second balls in midfield. His energy wouldn't have gone amiss. I also thought we'd see James Graham about 15 minutes earlier than we did, and I'd fancy his pace to cause Spartans a few issues.

If you're a neutral Friday is set up perfectly. And, again, I'm looking forward to it. These are two good teams, very evenly matched, who are capable going forward and (by and large) solid at the back.

For Spartans, I really rate Cammy Russell and he went on a few runs where we couldn't get near him. I thought Marc McNulty had a good game down the right too and caused Gallagher Lennon some issues, with Newbury having to do a fair bit of covering. We didn't really give Blair Henderson a sniff tonight, but it's the guys around him who scare me a bit more. I'm hoping Friday night doesn't prove a stretch too fire for a few tired looking souls in our side.

10 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

If you're a neutral Friday is set up perfectly.

Thats a good point, actually. I imagine there will be a sizeable number of neutrals there. I’ve never been to Ainslie Park before, and I’m not sure it looks the best, but Friday could be a great atmosphere.

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Do we know who the ref is for Friday?

Spartans F.C. v Dumbarton F.C.
Scottish League One Play Off
 17/05/2024  7:30pm  Ainslie Park Stadium
Referee:Grant Irvine
AR1Gordon McCabe
AR2Ross Nelson
Fourth OfficialChris Fordyce

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Do we know who the ref is for Friday?

Grant Irvine. Hasn't taken charge of us since beat Clyde 2-1 in a dead rubber in the 2021/22 season.

I should say as well (seen as I didn't mention it at the time). I thought Lloyd Wilson was excellent at Forthbank. Every time I see him I'm impressed. He's really firm, takes absolutely no shite, but generally manages games well. And I thought he did that again on Saturday. It's probably quite difficult to be really strict and not wind everyone up, but he toes that line well imo. And was miles better than the guy who did the first leg.

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The ref literally couldn't have had a better view for all of these calls and had absolutely none of them right. 

Wait, did the ref give a free kick to Spartans for this one?

This is the same ref who sent off (an extremely daft) Morgyn Neil on Saturday for dissent then sarcastic clapping of the first yellow. Takes a more lenient view of stamping on opponents and chest high tackles. 

Good luck to the Sons on Friday. 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

I’m really not convinced Crighton’s was offside…

I’m calling it. I think he was on.

Hang on, I may be retracting that :lol: It’s just not the right angle to be able to tell. But if there was contact in the third pic, I think that’s where he may be off. It’s just not possible to tell from that angle, though.

IMG_3423.thumb.png.36ffb69a49f0da14e3c3278c58ba1e57.pngIMG_3424.thumb.png.ebb36b1ea53c4f923898b3c001c3867e.pngIMG_3426.thumb.png.ed5df64bffdab09359883c6f95c96475.png

Edited by FifeSons

1st half tonight we were excellent. Ruth was outstanding. Spartans I thought were poor and resorted to launching balls in the direction of Henderson, defensively they looked awful.

2nd half was like a reverse of the 1st, we couldn’t keep the ball, orsi kept running into the full back and we resorted to shelling the ball up the park. 
Delighted to have a lead going into Friday though, slightly disappointed that we conceded as a 2 goal lead would be lovely!

I saw the stamp incident at the time and thought it was a stamp, the reaction (or lack of from our players) and how close the ref and 4th official were made me think I had maybe seen it wrong. On seeing the highlights once home, it’s a shocker and should’ve been a straight red!