Spartans v Dumbarton (Play off final double header)

5 hours ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

It certainly looked like a stamp, but there is no reaction from the player on the ground. Did he actually make contact?

17 minutes ago, Owsley 2 said:

His foot clearly lands on the grass next to him. No reaction from the Dumbarton boy and if Big Sonkur lands on you, you'd feel it. 

😆

Good grief.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Owsley 2 said:

His foot clearly lands on the grass next to him. No reaction from the Dumbarton boy and if Big Sonkur lands on you, you'd feel it. 

:lol: :lol: :lol: This reads like it's from the Kenny Miller school of analysis.

Even if you were right about no contact (you're not), the intent is clearly there.

Edited by FifeSons

17 minutes ago, WattersIsGod said:

His right foot clearly landed on the ground and then the stamping motion is with his left to the players body. Intent is clear.

Having watched it again.... I don't think Sonkur puts much weight into his left foot...maybe had a split second of clarity and thought better of it. That's maybe why so little reaction from the player fouled.

I think this is 100% it. The red mist comes down but just at the vital moment he decides better of sticking his studs in. It's still a red card (obviously) but it was just a moment where he was pissed off at being rinsed by the same guy and lashed out. Somewhere we've all been I'd imagine (even someone as mild mannered as me).

Whilst I'm still firmly in the 'believer' camp I don't think we can understate just how important Friday night could be for the club's future.  Closing out the second-leg gains a promotion which could be about to become a whole lot more difficult from League Two next season.

In short, Stirling, Clyde, East Fife, Elgin and Bonnyrigg will all be raring to go having recently changed managers.  Add to that a Peterhead team still sore from last week and that's quite a competitive situation, not forgetting the possibility of East Kilbride coming up.  It looks like being a tough division.

As to Friday night I think serious consideration must be given to the starting eleven, and especially given the recent tough physical schedule.  My preference would be for Lynas and Hilton to start with Carlo pushed forward, and Wilson and Orsi on the bench.  Kalvin has become a bit of an impact player for the opening and closing 25 minutes and whilst that can be fine we're going need 90-minute performances across the team in this game.  And James Graham may need an earlier introduction.

Spartans will be right up for this but if we accept the challenge and go looking to win the game as opposed to trying not to lose it then I think we can succeed.  

24 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Whilst I'm still firmly in the 'believer' camp I don't think we can understate just how important Friday night could be for the club's future.  Closing out the second-leg gains a promotion which could be about to become a whole lot more difficult from League Two next season.

In short, Stirling, Clyde, East Fife, Elgin and Bonnyrigg will all be raring to go having recently changed managers.  Add to that a Peterhead team still sore from last week and that's quite a competitive situation, not forgetting the possibility of East Kilbride coming up.  It looks like being a tough division.

I was saying the exact same thing to a few of my aquaintances last night over an ice cold Tennents. Next years League 2 will be extremely tough and this may well be our best chance at promotion for a few years. Depending on how the summer goes you could be looking at 5 or 6 teams gunning for promotion. 

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: This reads like it's from the Kenny Miller school of analysis.

Even if you were right about no contact (you're not), the intent is clearly there.

I'm not saying there's no contact. I'm saying the contact is less than it originally looked.

The intent is there and I stated previously I still think its a red card 

14 minutes ago, WattersIsGod said:

I'm not saying there's no contact. I'm saying the contact is less than it originally looked.

The intent is there and I stated previously I still think its a red card 

I’m very confused. I didn’t quote your post.

22 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

I’m very confused. I didn’t quote your post.

Sorry my mistake....

My eyes are going the same way as my teams season.

It all makes much more sense now.

At least it wasnt me being compared to Kenny Miller. That's the main thing.   

3 hours ago, microdave said:

The standside assistant referee was straight down the tunnel at ht and again at ft. Is there a reason why he was allowed to do that rather than leave the pitch with the rest of the officials?

Fairly standard procedure that. Nearside always down into tunnel to monitor players as they come in, far side will join ref on pitch and leave together. 

21 hours ago, microdave said:

2012 play offs.

Semi final 1st leg - 2-1 win at home with Tony Wallace scoring.

2nd leg 0-0 away.

Final 1st leg - 2-1 win at home with Tony Wallace scoring. 

2nd leg - 4-1 win away with Tony Wallace scoring. 

Seem familiar?

You've jinxed it now.

19 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

I saw the stamp incident at the time and thought it was a stamp, the reaction (or lack of from our players) and how close the ref and 4th official were made me think I had maybe seen it wrong. On seeing the highlights once home, it’s a shocker and should’ve been a straight red! 

Tony Wallace complained to one of the officials (fourth or lino) straight away.

Poor refereeing in alot of matches i’ve seen in league 2 this season.

Stonewall pen not given for Spartans last night for sure.

The first leg v Peterhead was worse. Ref booking anyone for anything and perhaps the most stonewall pen i’ve ever seen not given for Peterhead in the dying seconds.

I hope whoever gets promoted on Friday doesnt win because of some poor refereeing decision.

54 minutes ago, Sparticus said:

Poor refereeing in alot of matches i’ve seen in league 2 this season.

Stonewall pen not given for Spartans last night for sure.

The first leg v Peterhead was worse. Ref booking anyone for anything and perhaps the most stonewall pen i’ve ever seen not given for Peterhead in the dying seconds.

I hope whoever gets promoted on Friday doesnt win because of some poor refereeing decision.

In the spirit of fair play I think it's only right that you guys leave Sonkur and Russell out the squad for Friday night now ;)

Looking forward to going to this game, I thought Spartans were poor on Tuesday, and probably should have been reduced to 10 men, however I can’t see them being as passive on Friday. Game on!

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

In the spirit of fair play I think it's only right that you guys leave Sonkur and Russell out the squad for Friday night now ;)

The Edinburgh rugger boys are all about fair play, so I fully expect to see them fulfil this.