St Mirren European Tour 2024

Lex

11 hours ago, chingford said:

Available flights/transport is the limiting factor…

It clearly isn't given the numbers intent on travelling. There are literally dozens of routes into Bergen and that's limiting it to 1 stop or direct. People put a lot of faith in services like Skyscanner and yes it's a starting point for me but there are umpteen possibilities that dont ever show up on Skyscanner sometimes much cheaper too.

My main tactic in a situation like this is do a Skyscanner search for flights FROM (in this case) Bergen and put the destination as Everywhere for the date you want to fly in. That shows you all the places you can possibly fly from then it's a case of looking and flights from your localish airports to that fly in point. 9 time out of ten it opens up much more options than a straightforward UK to Bergen return search.

2 hours ago, brannfakkel said:

Fun fact: Paisley is just a bit more than half the way from Bergen compared to Tromsø which Kilmarnock is facing. Bergen > Paisley is about 760 km, while Bergen > Tromsø is 1200 km

Brilliant fact. Geography fascinates me. Such as: you can walk from Finland to North Korea and only pass through one other country. Or: Bristol, in the West of England, is further east than Edinburgh.

I live near Newcastle: there used to be a ferry from here to Stavanger/Bergen but sadly it stopped running. There are hopes it may come back:

https://ferrygogo.com/plans-for-ferry-between-newcastle-and-norway-in-2026/

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Brilliant fact. Geography fascinates me. Such as: you can walk from Finland to North Korea and only pass through one other country. Or: Bristol, in the West of England, is further east than Edinburgh.

I live near Newcastle: there used to be a ferry from here to Stavanger/Bergen but sadly it stopped running. There are hopes it may come back:

I'm assuming it was that ferry we took for a family holiday back in the early 1990s (had also gone by ferry to Denmark a few years earlier), can't think where else it would have been from. Took a day (at least) if I remember rightly but my parents didn't like flying and it meant we had a car. Which broke down the first day. And then we had massive delays on the way back because of problems with the ferry.

Funnily enough, we never had another family holiday abroad after that...

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

I'm assuming it was that ferry we took for a family holiday back in the early 1990s (had also gone by ferry to Denmark a few years earlier), can't think where else it would have been from. Took a day (at least) if I remember rightly but my parents didn't like flying and it meant we had a car. Which broke down the first day. And then we had massive delays on the way back because of problems with the ferry.

Funnily enough, we never had another family holiday abroad after that...

It is a hella long way in a notoriously rough sea, tbf. I remember crossing the channel in rough seas back from France as a kid - just four hours - and that felt like a nightmare, and that must be tame vs the North Sea.

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Jeezo!! Your geography cannae be that good if you think Coventry is near Newcastle! 🤣🤣

3 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Jeezo!! Your geography cannae be that good if you think Coventry is near Newcastle! 🤣🤣

TBF, I didn't say it was good... 😛

Naw, I was living in Coventry when I signed up to P&B, which is terrifying as it was a very, very long time ago. I've lived in NE England since 2007.

3 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

It clearly isn't given the numbers intent on travelling. There are literally dozens of routes into Bergen and that's limiting it to 1 stop or direct. People put a lot of faith in services like Skyscanner and yes it's a starting point for me but there are umpteen possibilities that dont ever show up on Skyscanner sometimes much cheaper too.

My main tactic in a situation like this is do a Skyscanner search for flights FROM (in this case) Bergen and put the destination as Everywhere for the date you want to fly in. That shows you all the places you can possibly fly from then it's a case of looking and flights from your localish airports to that fly in point. 9 time out of ten it opens up much more options than a straightforward UK to Bergen return search.

Done exactly this, we fly to Palma for a night on Tuesday, £22, then onto Bergen early Wednesday morning for £80. Was nowhere to be seen as a stopover when searched on usual Skyscanner routes.

11 minutes ago, NBr1877 said:

Done exactly this, we fly to Palma for a night on Tuesday, £22, then onto Bergen early Wednesday morning for £80. Was nowhere to be seen as a stopover when searched on usual Skyscanner routes.

Spooky, I've just finished a search and screenshot of those flights.

Screenshot_20240808_133252_Skyscanner.thumb.jpg.92515fb876478df616e5bbf64d68d83c.jpgScreenshot_20240808_133311_Skyscanner.thumb.jpg.449675b65feb74dacd4a2aaf3c7ebd47.jpg

I was just on the Brann website.

There are hospitality tickets available. It does say at the bottom it's for home support only but I also saw a FB post saying a Saints fan had emailed Brann and that Saints fans would be admitted.

Screenshot_20240808_140122_Facebook.thumb.jpg.7fbe5047386a40554b1c380aca87a02b.jpgScreenshot_20240808_135845_Chrome.thumb.jpg.432c79110374cf3bb50b13125babde43.jpg

Edited by Arch Stanton