St Mirren European Tour 2024

Lex

6 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Really ugly, and I'm not talking about the wee Paisley Buddies.
Not giving the ball back is unacceptable. A complete lack of sportsmanship of which there is no justification.

Hopefully it fires up Brann who run out winners by 3 or 4 goals in the 2nd leg.

No quite as unsporting as this.

Nothing worse than players faking an injury.

Your keeper should be embarrassed looking at that.

My 81 year old dad could have made that challenge and stayed on his feet.

35 minutes ago, FTOF said:

No quite as unsporting as this.

Nothing worse than players faking an injury.

Your keeper should be embarrassed looking at that.

My 81 year old dad could have made that challenge and stayed on his feet.

How can refs not see these things are fake, did they ever even play the game with their mates down the park

53 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I watched 75% of the game last night and I reckon Brann would win the Scottish Premiership. 

They probably wouldn't.

As stated they come from a more egalitarian league setup (despite the Rosenborg domination a couple of decades back), which naturally makes many of us jealous.

Whilst Molde and Bodø/Glimt in particular have been very good of late, and now Brann are up there with them - they would still be somewhere between the two cheeks and the best Hearts/Aberdeen/Hibs sides of the last decade in terms of level.

An earlier poster mentioned the quality of their play, but being relatively comfortable that a robust and organised Robinson St Mirren side would still get a result - I think that's fair comment, and I think St Mirren can be competitive in the second leg.  The salty tears eminating from Bergen means I hope even moreso they will be.

10 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

If Brann had put the ball out for one of our players to receive treatment then I would perhaps understand the anger.

But for one of their own in the last few minutes when we’re 0-1 down? f**k that shit!

Aye, you're always taking a risk putting the ball out for one of your own players - especially when it's cramp and you're just doing it so he can be subbed off. And the keeper doing it only a few minutes after he was fannying about was asking for trouble as well. My brother reckons one of the Brann players was going mental after the goal for not having booted the ball out around the halfway line rather than as close to goal as that.

Had it been the other way round I'd have been annoyed too and it'll almost certainly come back to bite us on the arse next week but really couldn't care. All this stuff about "fair play" is rich given how Brann were behaving as the game went on! Perhaps be a bit more concerned about how your team then responded - and the fact you'd have been four or five goals up if your finishing had been as good as your pretty passing.

Edited by Stu

7 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Really ugly, and I'm not talking about the wee Paisley Buddies.
Not giving the ball back is unacceptable. A complete lack of sportsmanship of which there is no justification.

Hopefully it fires up Brann who run out winners by 3 or 4 goals in the 2nd leg.

What their goalkeeper did was unacceptable as well !

Bodo/Glimt beat a good Celtic team managed by 'Ange' home and away in this competition just two years ago, they pumped them 5-1 on aggregate, it wasn't even close.  Therefore, it's certainly not unreasonable to say them or Brann would be capable of winning the Scottish Premiership.

The level they reached last night is something I've only seen from the best and Rangers and Celtic teams over the years. Every non Old Firm fan has seen these games where they show up in the mood, zip the ball about and the game ends up 0-3 or worse. That's what could and probably should have happened last night.

Nevertheless, it didn't, and we go to Norway with the tie very much alive. The away goal rule being scrapped also increases our chances, if we somehow scrape a 0-0 we are going to extra time. Fair to say the Norwegians are going to be right up for it after the way things ended last night, we'll need a bit of luck and another inspired goalkeeping performance, but we've got a chance. 

1 hour ago, Binos said:

St mirren 2 scots 9 foreign players in starting line up 

Brann 2 foreigners 9 Norwegians 

Scottish football is f**ked 

Almost as if all our decent youth gets hoovered up by English lower league and U23 sides these days due to money. 

3 hours ago, thomas said:

No mention of your players twice diving to try and win penalties.Come On Biden GIF by GIPHY News

I don’t think there are any SK Brann fans on here. 

Edited by MazzyStar

2 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Got to say that this bullshit about fair play is something I've never agreed with. Too open to the opposition feigning injury. If it's a head knock or looks serious, then the ref stops the game. Any other situation then play on.

Good luck in the return but I think you might be getting pumped. Hope not. I also hope that the game last night took a fair bit out of your players. 😉

Fair play cuts both ways. We probably wouldn't have done what we did last night in a regular league game. They were at it timewasting at every opportunity which they probably didn't need to do. 

We will be done in for Aberdeen game, but never mind. 

Edited by flyingscot

I lived in Norway for five years and was in no way surprised at how good Brann were. Brann are big team with a big support and plenty of money.  Bigger than Aberdeen or Hearts, not as big as Celtic or Rangers. 

Have to say I was expecting this to be tough and our line up made things easier for them. Boyde Munce and Smyth got totally over run first half. We missed O Hara big time and even before the game started I was looking at the team sheet to see who we could bring on to shore up the midfield. Tactically we got it wrong.  We seemed to be a bit nervous and retreated allowing Brann too much space. Taylor in particular who I always think of us being one of our better performers seemed to struggle. The three up front were not working at all.  They were to detatched.  Brann over run us and only the defensive excellence of Gogs, Fraser and Balcome kept us in it.  Having said that Half time score could have easily been 1-0 to us as 4-0 to them. 

Changes came too late but when they came they changed the game. Toyosi tormented them and gave the defenders no time to dwell on the ball. And Adinarin gave us the bit in the middle we'd been lacking. Scott also just started doing the simple things and started causing them problems. 

At the end, I thought we looked more likely to get a second then they did. 

The storm about handing the ball back is nonsense. And incase anyone missed it, the goal came from a corner not from that throw in.  As well go on about the keepers nonsense stealing a foul as gone about it. Don't rise to the bait. Brann would have done exactly the same. 

I'm not saying we'll go there and turn them over. It will be hard there and their own fans are noisy and passionate.  And clearly they are very capable. 

But we will be on week on with our fitness, O Hara will be back (I hope) and there will be no surprise at how competent they are. But they will still be vulnerable at set pieces and our nerves should be settled. And we've showed we can cause them problems. We've played at parkhead and ibrox, the brann crowd will not be bigger than that. 

It's all to play for which was a good I could have hoped for when we made the draw. 

COYS 

Edited by Insaintee

2 hours ago, Binos said:

St mirren 2 scots 9 foreign players in starting line up 

Brann 2 foreigners 9 Norwegians 

Scottish football is f**ked 

To be honest we were missing O'Hara and Kiltie who are obviously both Scottish. 

I'm sure we'd sign more Scottish players if they were good enough and affordable, unfortunately with the 2 team (1 team just now) monopoly system, teams like StMirren don't have a choice. 

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

They probably wouldn't.

As stated they come from a more egalitarian league setup (despite the Rosenborg domination a couple of decades back), which naturally makes many of us jealous.

Whilst Molde and Bodø/Glimt in particular have been very good of late, and now Brann are up there with them - they would still be somewhere between the two cheeks and the best Hearts/Aberdeen/Hibs sides of the last decade in terms of level.

An earlier poster mentioned the quality of their play, but being relatively comfortable that a robust and organised Robinson St Mirren side would still get a result - I think that's fair comment, and I think St Mirren can be competitive in the second leg.  The salty tears eminating from Bergen means I hope even moreso they will be.

Bodo/Glimt absolutely bodied a better than now Celtic a couple of years back and made them look like a Sunday League side.  That Brann side I watched last would would 100% be challenging and probably win this season's title.

Put it this way, they'd shite on Rangers from a great height.  And Rangers will be 2nd this season by about 10 light years as usual.

Brann fan here with a nights sleep since yesterday. About yesterdays fair play and all that, in the end all those situations doesn’t matter, luckily our coach and players are much more level headed than us fans who are just grasping for straws and are annoyed that we couldn’t finish our own chances. Will be very interesting to see what kind of match we get next week. 

This match was peak Brann in all the good and bad ways this year with very good ball play and pressing but lackluster finishing. It’s our story this season that we need like 10xG to take a normal win. So I think we all just felt the annoyance about that really hard yesterday.

Anyway, welcome to Bergen to all traveling, next week will be spicy!

14 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Bodo/Glimt absolutely bodied a better than now Celtic a couple of years back and made them look like a Sunday League side. 

They did the same to a few teams that season including I recall beating Mourinho's Roma 6-1.

I think over a period of time though that they would be a level out below the two cheeks just due to budget size.

The fact that Hearts and Aberdeen were able to beat Rosenborg and Viking Stavanger recently, as well as the general coefficient rankings, means placing the best Norwegian sides somewhere in the void between 2nd and 3rd in Scotland is probably fair.

19 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

They did the same to a few teams that season including I recall beating Mourinho's Roma 6-1.

I think over a period of time though that they would be a level out below the two cheeks just due to budget size.

The fact that Hearts and Aberdeen were able to beat Rosenborg and Viking Stavanger recently, as well as the general coefficient rankings, means placing the best Norwegian sides somewhere in the void between 2nd and 3rd in Scotland is probably fair.

It's the style of play though, their keeper was playing passes at the semi circle near the halfway line at times, they cut us open with ease. Hearts and Aberdeen have had good teams recently but that was like a different sport they were playing last night. Makes me worry if the new Aberdeen manager gets you lot to play that kind of style, yous could take the league by storm.

Fair enough we weren't good at all last night, miles off it but they are 20 games into their season and we are just at the start, we didn't and possibly couldn't lay a glove on them.