Clyde FC Season 24/25

4 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

There’s not been an update on the relocation section of the website since last year.

Regular updates of official Forum from Director though. 

3 hours ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Disappointing that both Motherwell and Thistle will know exactly what is required by the time they come to play on Sunday

There's literally not a result which would suit both sides to 'play for' on Sunday. It's likely there will be more than 3 second placed teams on 9 points, so the away side have to win, and maybe top the group to be sure. Anything less, they're 99% out. Well also can't risk dropping out of the top 3 runners up on said 9 points. Even if we win 1-0 or 5-0, there is no carve-up potential at all. Unless we do it ourselves.

A 2-0 win for Clyde would give us 9 points and a GD of 6

Motherwell will start the game knowing a win is required rather than a draw, with a draw being sufficient if we do not win. 

Thistle will know a 1-0 win would suffice as that would give them GD of 7

Both of the above could dictate their line-ups and approach to the game.

There would only be any real advantage if there was some kind of mutually agreeable outcome for Motherwell and Partick, but no such thing is likely to exist (I haven't looked at all the permutations myself, but 8pts is pretty much never enough to qualify). None of the four possible outcomes of their game would realistically result in both of them qualifying, regardless of our result on Saturday; the 'best' that can happen for them is finishing on 9 and 8 points respectively, in either order, with the team on 8 extremely likely to be goners. Thistle basically need to win; even a bonus point victory for them isn't going to be enough, and a defeat would see Motherwell out.

It would be lovely to qualify for the knockouts and we've got enough squad depth that adding another game to the calendar isn't any kind of a bother; the prize money would be very welcome too, of course. I wouldn't be at all dismayed if we don't get out of the group, though, and my primary concern is seeing us turn in another good performance against a side from a higher level.

Wouldn't they both be doing exactly this, anyway? It's almost certain that both can't go through, unless all or most of Airdrie, Falkirk, QP, Raith and St.Johnstone make an unbelievable arse of it all at the same time. And one, other small factor- a Clyde home win puts us through if more than two of those five do so, with the Sunday game telling us who's lucky enough to join us even if we still finish 2nd

20 minutes ago, Billy Reid Fan Club said:

Wouldn't they both be doing exactly this, anyway? It's almost certain that both can't go through, unless all or most of Airdrie, Falkirk, QP, Raith and St.Johnstone make an unbelievable arse of it all at the same time. And one, other small factor- a Clyde home win puts us through if more than two of those five do so, with the Sunday game telling us who's lucky enough to join us even if we still finish 2nd

It's a bit crazy that 9 points and 3 wins out of 4 might mot be enough

1 hour ago, the_bully_wee said:

There would only be any real advantage if there was some kind of mutually agreeable outcome for Motherwell and Partick, but no such thing is likely to exist (I haven't looked at all the permutations myself, but 8pts is pretty much never enough to qualify). None of the four possible outcomes of their game would realistically result in both of them qualifying, regardless of our result on Saturday; the 'best' that can happen for them is finishing on 9 and 8 points respectively, in either order, with the team on 8 extremely likely to be goners. Thistle basically need to win; even a bonus point victory for them isn't going to be enough, and a defeat would see Motherwell out.

It would be lovely to qualify for the knockouts and we've got enough squad depth that adding another game to the calendar isn't any kind of a bother; the prize money would be very welcome too, of course. I wouldn't be at all dismayed if we don't get out of the group, though, and my primary concern is seeing us turn in another good performance against a side from a higher level.

I wasn't suggesting a mutually agreeable advantage. I was pointing out that they will know if a draw or a win is sufficient and by how many goals. That might help them decide tactics, particularly as the game progresses.

6 hours ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Disappointing that both Motherwell and Thistle will know exactly what is required by the time they come to play on Sunday

Flipside being it simplifies it for the Clyde players.  Win, & you're through, then these two can do whatever they like

Well, for Thistle, nothing but a win will be good enough regardless of what we do, so their approach to the game won't be affected by playing a day later. Motherwell similarly know that defeat is not an option for them in any scenario, as 8pts won't be enough. I really can't foresee that they will purposely weaken their team or risk playing for a draw when the opposition are able to progress, and probably eliminate them, with a victory. I'd only be concerned about the timing of that game if it were possible for both sides to benefit from knowing the state of play, but thankfully that's not the case. They'll both be playing to win and our potential qualification is almost guaranteed not to be impacted by the result.

Flipside being it simplifies it for the Clyde players.  Win, & you're through, then these two can do whatever they like

Is that correct?  If Motherwell win then we rely on being one of the best placed second teams?

Edited by SouthLanarkshireWhite

No. What Motherwell and Thistle do, is almost completely irrelevant to us. Our fate will be known at the collective full-time on Saturday- our race is being run firstly against Montrose, then against the other teams on 6 points or more who aren't in first place. In order to win this race, we're going to need to record one of the biggest wins of the matchday to secure a spot. 

I don't believe there's even the slightest chance that if we record a narrow win, the draw-and-Thistle penalties bonus will happen anyway. Motherwell will flatten them. 

2 minutes ago, Billy Reid Fan Club said:

No. What Motherwell and Thistle do, is almost completely irrelevant to us. Our fate will be known at the collective full-time on Saturday- our race is being run firstly against Montrose, then against the other teams on 6 points or more who aren't in first place. In order to win this race, we're going to need to record one of the biggest wins of the matchday to secure a spot. 

I don't believe there's even the slightest chance that if we record a narrow win, the draw-and-Thistle penalties bonus will happen anyway. Motherwell will flatten them. 

You've got this nailed down BRFC...are you an accountant?

50 minutes ago, HaleyReinhart said:

Good to see Kian Leslie on the bench for Killie tonight. 

I wonder how he’d perform in our current side. He never really reached the heights expected after the glowing reviews Killie fans gave him this time last year.

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

16 hours ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Is that correct?  If Motherwell win then we rely on being one of the best placed second teams?

True enough, only just found out 3 second placed sides go through.  That said it doesn't really change anything.  Having a default mindset of playing any game to win by as many as possible and see where that takes you is healthy, that's enough for players to focus on.   If Clyde win on Saturday they'll have 9 pts with a minimum +5 GD.  That means both Motherwell & Partick have to go out & get something.  I think the only realistic chance of Clyde then topping the table would be a low score draw on Sunday with Partick winning on penalties. 

As for best of second, there's no guarantees the others currently on 6 pts will end up on 9, and a GD of +5 and +6 is there or thereabouts with most others in a similar position.  Worst case scenario is they don't quite make it and insist on the league title and 4th Scottish Cup on the 70th anniversary of their second one...or sack the lot of them...👍

Group A - we’ll need Queen of the South to take something away to airdrie, otherwise they’ll have 9 points and minimum +9 GD. 

Group B - Stenhousemuir will need to get a result at Falkirk or a low scoring win for Falkirk coupled with us winning by a few.

Group C - Kelty to get a result from Queens Park as they are current 6 points and +5 GD. Unlikely Peterhead will do anything at Easter road. 

Group D - the most any 2nd place team can get is 7, so a win for us would put that group out. 

Group E - anything but a Spartans win would see us above a 2nd place team, although Spartans would need to win by at least 3 to equal us if we win. 

Group F - east fife to lose at St Johnstone, by 2 or less as Saints currently 6 points +2 GD.

Group H - accies get a result at raith would see Raith on less than 9 points. 

We obviously need to win tomorrow, ideally by more than 1 but it’s good to be going into the last game with something to play for.