Stranraer 2024-25

6 hours ago, Luddite said:

Team spirit is a quality every manager strives for and not all are able to muster.

In the neoliberal moneyball leagues it’s may be valued less , but football in the Scottish lower leagues is still, mostly, about motivating a group of young men to harness their abilities as a team. At this level, team spirit is priceless.

And if you are claiming that the likes of Jamie Dolan and Dylan Forest “aren’t very good” then, again, I’ll have to disagree.

Don’t know enough about your players qualities but agree totally in a close league when there is not much between the teams, team spirit makes a big difference.

7 hours ago, Luddite said:

Well if I’m being told Stranraer can’t be described as a  “decent team” because of their league position, that would imply that the description of a team is based on league position alone and they are a “bad” team and all the teams above them vary from “decent” to “good” to “very good”, depending on league position.

Obviously Stranraer finished with the worst points tally, and it may be I’ve mistakenly inferred “miles ahead” sentiments from comments here,  but considering only 8 points separated 10th from 5th, whereas in the three leagues above the bottom teams finished 10, 19 and 31 points behind the team one place above, I don’t think Stranraer were “worse” than teams 5 through 9 to the extent they should replace their manager and dispense with a squad that were a much of a muchness compared to the majority of teams they were competing against, hence my use of the descriptor  “decent”.

Im old enough to remember the days of teams struggling in lower leagues and within 1 or 2 years that same squad and manager achieving some pretty impressive feats.

Personally I judge managers on the evidence of his players wanting to play for him, but I am, admittedly, a dinosaur in that regard.

My issue (and possibly others too) was your reference to the league table being an unfair representation of your team. It's fine being decent, but not if you're still the worst team in the league. As I already said, the league table doesn't lie at the end of the season. The best team win the league and the worst finish bottom.

I actually thought the league was poor this year, lowest points total for the league winners since 2017(outwith Covid years obviously). 

Us and Elgin were dreadful pre January, Stranraer and Bonnyrigg just about as bad after then. 

The teams at the bottom have got a lot more points than the likes of Cowdenbeath and Berwick went down with, but I’m not sure the overall quality of the league has improved. 

It has been announced we are to go with Mizuno for our kits next season. Apparently no other senior team in the UK has them so hopefully tap in to the shirt nerd market and get a few extra sales that way.
Be glad to see the back of Football Nation, handy having the stuff online but think we lost out big time with the delay in acquiring our away and third kits. 
They also seemed to offer better to products to other clubs.  

16 hours ago, Mattmc said:

It has been announced we are to go with Mizuno for our kits next season. Apparently no other senior team in the UK has them so hopefully tap in to the shirt nerd market and get a few extra sales that way.
Be glad to see the back of Football Nation, handy having the stuff online but think we lost out big time with the delay in acquiring our away and third kits. 
They also seemed to offer better to products to other clubs.  

Thats some top marketing. Attack a few Clyde fans with golf clubs and get a new shirt deal out of it.

3 hours ago, MrFizz said:

Thats some top marketing. Attack a few Clyde fans with golf clubs and get a new shirt deal out of it.

Used the wrong club. So needed to be custom fit mizunos

Posted (edited)

Finn Ecrepont, Grant Gallagher, Dean Hawkshaw and Deryn Lang return for next season, and Adam Cummins back to Stair Park after being released by Stirling Albion.

Edited by EdinburghBlue

On 25/05/2024 at 15:06, Neilly said:

I think there has to be a bit of realism with Stranraer.

They will have the smallest budget in the league next season for starters. Secondly, they were absolutely ravaged by injuries last season more than most - I truly believe they would have been nowhere near bottom with better luck in that department.

I mean it's scant consolation when you do finish bottom but they are easily the best team that's ever finished bottom of the SPFL IMHO. Not a honking side like we have seen in recent years with Berwick, Shire, Cowden etc.

Do you try and keep that unity together with those offered deals or start from scratch with no gaurentee of getting better quality with such poor money on offer?

I think they have done the sensible thing and even then they are going to lose their better players. Personally I hope we are in for Dylan Forrest - a player I really like who would bolster our squad. Matty Grant and James Dolan will also be on the radar of league one clubs.

You've explained my outlook better than I was able to🙏

31 minutes ago, GallowayBlue said:

Great to hear that season ticket prices have been frozen.

Outdated sales method not so positive but hopefully sell a good number.

Fair do's. Would be very easy to justify an increase in prices. 

I'm happy with how the defence is shaping up. Maybe some proper competition for Ecrepoint at LB needed though. 

Long way to go I suppose, and plenty of gaps needing filled. 

On 02/06/2024 at 19:10, Thereisalight.. said:

Josh McPake signing for you guys? Sure I just saw him in one of the golf day pics 

Signing for Annan.