Stranraer 2024-25

Same old story.  1 up front at home and can’t defend crosses.  In reality we are no better than the day Hamill was dismissed.  Manager has had plenty time to improve things. Don’t expect us to be challenging at the top but we don’t want same as last season .  The clock is ticking and the natives on the terrace are getting very restless.  I doubt any other team would have given a manager so much time with such a poor win record over the last 18 months.  

I'm not at the pant-pishing stage some other Stranraer fans seem to already be at, but agree things do need to improve. 

Re-signing a lot of the squad that - let's be honest - rode their luck to win the playoff v EK was the market we were in with the budget we had.  I like a lot of the business that Agnew has done this summer, with Dunlop, Russell and Foster looking like particularly shrewd acquisitions. Scouse, Brindley and McKnight are no worse than what we had either. I'm yet to pass judgement on Mo Adam.

Apart from a couple of larger scorelines yesterday, League 2 is looking tight this year.  Peterhead are unbeaten at the top but they've needed last minute goals in at least a couple of their wins to get there.  Yesterday's game against Elgin is 100% one we would have lost last season as well.  As unimpressed as I was at the performance as a whole, the composure shown to put together a move starting from Broun with 12 passes on the deck before the cross for Robbo showed a lot of character.

My biggest gripe just now is the GK position. Bud kept us in a lot of games last season and it almost wasn't enough. If League 2 turns out to be as tight as it has started, I have no faith in either Broun or Pazikas to be relied upon when we are trying to see games out for points. 

A very long way of saying I like what Aggy is trying to do and believe it is better than what Hamill served up, but we just need one of the goalies to find some form, confidence or massive gloves. See where we are at once we've played everyone. I honestly don't think we'll be as poorly placed as some believe. 

MonBlu

Not pant Pishing , just care that the club don’t have another season at the bottom of the league. .  Agree manager has made mistake in not getting an experienced goal keeper.   Hopefully the committee are keeping close eye on things and if need be ,  take correct actions .  But we all hope that things turn round and we move up the league .  

Sad to see you guys struggling again. Thought after the euphoria of the play off game you'd have kicked on. I went to the Larne, Ross County and Hamilton games and you looked decent enough. The Spartans game was a kick in the baws and probably set the tone for your season so far. 2-0 at HT and blew it. Hope you can pick up some form quickly 👍

6 hours ago, GallowayBlue said:

Abject once again.

Once again, managers have lost their job for much less than what we've seen in the past season and a bit.

Time for a change.

I would agree. As much as i like Aggy, its not getting better. No one wants to go through those play-offs again.

Thought it was a decent game today - before the first goal I thought Stranraer were by far the better team but the goal changed everything. After the second went in Rose were pretty comfortable.

I was impressed with your #10 and #23 - pace aplenty and are pretty skilful. 

And after 2 shocking ref performances for the Rose (against City & Clyde), I thought the ref today tried his hardest to keep the game flowing. A few bookings in the 2nd half but no complaints about any of them in my eyes.

Think i see what the manager is trying to do. Worries me that so many of our players went through that whole scare at the end of last season and look as if theyre heading towards it again. Whats happened to all that - we need to learn from this and make sure it doesnt happen again?

Classy from Aggy - thanks for your efforts and the playoff win.

Great that he could see that a change was required even if the committee didn't think so.

Hopefully they've got some candidates in mind.

Maybe there'll be another opportunity in management somewhere for Scott and would wish him all the best.

Edited by GallowayBlue

Fair play to him. I still think he's brought in some good players and has the team playing some good stuff at times. I think all Stranraer fans all wanted him to be able to turn things round, which definitely wasn't the case with Hamill, Reid and a few others over the years. 

Wish him all the best if he gets back into management, and forever grateful for the memories from the playoffs.

1 hour ago, ScottishLoon said:

Think like almost every club in our league you'd think Darren young is the most obvious candidate you'd look at.

Although I have no way of knowing, assuming you still train in Glasgow, you’d expect Darren to be interested and you’d think he would want to get back in to football quickly.

You could do a lot worse and I would back him to be a good appointment with you.

Edited by BB_Bino

1 minute ago, BB_Bino said:

Although I have no way of knowing, assuming you still train in Glasgow, you’d expect Darren to be interested and you’d think he would want to get back in to football quickly.

You could do a lot worse and I would back him to be a good appointment with you.

He might hold off for the Clyde job.