Bonnyrigg Rose 2024-25. Still best supported club in SPFL2

A better performance on Saturday against a team that was 2 leagues above us last season. Although an Arbroath fan beside me said that was a “new team”, so I assume they’ve lost a few players post relegation, but still I thought we matched them.

Outlook for the season doesn’t look too great but some encouraging signs. The loan goalie looks good, he’ll maybe even keep Paddy out when he’s fit again. Arnott is a player …. pace, 100% effort and always looks for the ball. Skip Murphy looks decent. Too early to comment on Somerville and Scarborough. But to keep away from relegation we need to give Higgie the service so he can get those badly needed goals.

Today we start our 3rd season in SPFL2 and for the third time with a home game. There will be the new season buzz amongst the fans and it would be great to start with a victory, it will be a tough/tight game just like the 4 games last season. Our League cup performances and results were not great, so here’s hoping Callum can get the team off to a good start. Looking forward to the adventure of this season.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

4 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

Hearts had a big game earlier in the day, half their fans were at that.

Which would make it easier to do both. Quote of the season so far. :lol:

Edit: Maybes the novelty has worn off with the locals 543 is a fair bit below previous seasons. 

Edited by newcastle broon

4 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Which would make it easier to do both. Quote of the season so far. :lol:

Edit: Maybes the novelty has worn off with the locals 543 is a fair bit below previous seasons. 

Never tried mind, but getting away from Tynecastle at about 2.30pm with a near 20k crowd leaving to get back to Bonnyrigg for 3pm would be pretty impressive on the first week of the Edinburgh festival.

51 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

Never tried mind, but getting away from Tynecastle at about 2.30pm with a near 20k crowd leaving to get back to Bonnyrigg for 3pm would be pretty impressive on the first week of the Edinburgh festival.

Both kick off normally Saturday 3 o c  so not really getting your point.

Bonnyrigg as wi most Scottish towns has or had pick up buses going Parkhead Ibrox for years.

Easter Road and Tynecastle as well.

Only half hour to Bonnyrigg from that side of town too, festival or no festival so wouldn't miss much of the match.If any.

Happily proved wrong though.  

It’s a strange one. 930 for the season’s finale v Forfar, and 1017 the previous game v Spartans doesn’t suggest any drop off in interest. Only 622 last week v Arbroath but that was a dead rubber, but doesn’t lend much weight to the Hearts/Rangers theory either.
CE has done quite a rebuild too so you’d think people would want to see how they cope. I have to say, apart from the first season, I find Bonnyrigg a hard watch. I’d rather watch the Welfare, even though the standard is dire, the games are more entertaining and you usually get goals.

3 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Both kick off normally Saturday 3 o c  so not really getting your point.

Bonnyrigg as wi most Scottish towns has or had pick up buses going Parkhead Ibrox for years.

Easter Road and Tynecastle as well.

Only half hour to Bonnyrigg from that side of town too, festival or no festival so wouldn't miss much of the match.If any.

Happily proved wrong though.  

It was a tongue in cheek comment about Hearts game affecting the crowd, though I do work in the same office as a couple of Jambo season tickets holders who live in the Bonnyrigg area and go to NDP when the opportunity allows.

It’s probably 30 years in the terracing days since I was last in Tynecastle with a circa 20k crowd, but even in those days of less strict parking regulations, you were always parked at least a 15 minute walk away from the ground, and that’s after slowly filing out. And you just don’t get out of Tynie very quickly these days, it’s a crap ground to get away from.

So unless you’ve got your limo driver outside Tynie raring to go, you ain’t getting to Bonnyrigg in anywhere close to 30 minutes from the final whistle.

18 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

It’s probably 30 years in the terracing days since I was last in Tynecastle with a circa 20k crowd, but even in those days of less strict parking regulations, you were always parked at least a 15 minute walk away from the ground, and that’s after slowly filing out. And you just don’t get out of Tynie very quickly these days, it’s a crap ground to get away from.

So unless you’ve got your limo driver outside Tynie raring to go, you ain’t getting to Bonnyrigg in anywhere close to 30 minutes from the final whistle.

I did say wouldn't miss much of the match, the way your talking you'd think they were miles away. 

My previous post I did state happily to be proved wrong. 

Your superior AA route knowledge wins. 👍

8 hours ago, The Mantis said:

It’s a strange one. 930 for the season’s finale v Forfar, and 1017 the previous game v Spartans doesn’t suggest any drop off in interest. Only 622 last week v Arbroath but that was a dead rubber, but doesn’t lend much weight to the Hearts/Rangers theory either.
CE has done quite a rebuild too so you’d think people would want to see how they cope. I have to say, apart from the first season, I find Bonnyrigg a hard watch. I’d rather watch the Welfare, even though the standard is dire, the games are more entertaining and you usually get goals.

It’s been a rebuild, but not really an inspiring one so far! Not sure there’s been a signing that’s been ‘box office’ (maybe Skip Murphy will prove me wrong) - I hope Calum is able to get in a 2 or 3 more.

Rose at home may be a hard watch, but put us on plastic pitches and we’re a different team ….. last season away at East Fife to give a recent example ….. the heavy NDP pitch does us no favours.

Even at the start of the season in what should be peak condition the pitch seems to encourage kick and chase fitba unfortunately we dragged into doing the same and led to as poor a game i have seen for a while. There was a lot on around Edinburgh on Saturday and luckily gave myself plenty time, traffic was basically backed up from the Dunfermline turn off & 1st or 2nd gear over Queensferry  all the way to Bonnrigg turn off, worst i have seen it. Having now seen the sending off dont think the ref had much choice could hear the thump from our place behind the goal.

I’m starting to get a wee bit concerned at what’s happening at NDP just now - that’s Josh Grigor away and while he’s no Beckenbaur, he gave 100% and was the vocal leader on the pitch (Neilie and Cuzza are too quiet, while Kerr and big McGachie just seem to moan and whine about everything rather than help to motivate their team mates).

That’s Smartie, Mercer and Josh away in the last 24 hours, so we badly need quality reinforcements … but I fear if they do come, we’re looking at LL journeymen at best! 😖

8 hours ago, Broonaldo said:

I’m starting to get a wee bit concerned at what’s happening at NDP just now - that’s Josh Grigor away and while he’s no Beckenbaur, he gave 100% and was the vocal leader on the pitch (Neilie and Cuzza are too quiet, while Kerr and big McGachie just seem to moan and whine about everything rather than help to motivate their team mates).

That’s Smartie, Mercer and Josh away in the last 24 hours, so we badly need quality reinforcements … but I fear if they do come, we’re looking at LL journeymen at best! 😖

Textbook Calum, quickly makes his mind up he wants a player and gets him in then he has a poor or mediocre game and he bins them for the next golden boy he wants. Worked fine in the LL but not sure how it will play for him with SPFL windows.

9 hours ago, Broonaldo said:

Mercer looked solid for Kelty up at Montrose on Saturday, although off at 80 mins with a knock. Would think you'll miss him on that showing.

53 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

And that's Bradley Rodden away already, having joined the club from Stenhousemuir in June. What's going on here!

OK, the alarm bells are well and truly ringing now!! WTF is happening??

I wasn’t overly impressed with Rodden on his limited preseason showings but you’ve got to give him time - releasing him after a few months is ridiculous!

I hope there is a “cunning plan” here and not one from Baldrick of ‘Blackadder’!!!!

24 minutes ago, Broonaldo said:

OK, the alarm bells are well and truly ringing now!! WTF is happening??

I wasn’t overly impressed with Rodden on his limited preseason showings but you’ve got to give him time - releasing him after a few months is ridiculous!

I hope there is a “cunning plan” here and not one from Baldrick of ‘Blackadder’!!!!

Rodden has always been out of his depth in the SPFL, rather than giving him more time you shouldn't have given him a deal in the first place. 

Edited by Waspie

On 27/07/2024 at 11:32, bravehearts dad said:

Well the team are back to NDP after 2 successive long away trips. Both teams have nothing to play for today and the form guide tell me it’s gonna be a boring goalless draw. Wouldn’t it be great if both teams went out and gave the fans o good game and possible's goalfest!!!         Must say at this early stage in the season I am getting concerned at the lack of PR and social media presence . ( never seen a match report or highlights of last Saturdays match) That’s only for starters I will leave my many concerns for another day.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

I must refer to my post of 27th July and the concerns I detected then. 10 days or so later it seems the situation within the club and dressing room have deteriorated quickly. What is going on??? An announcement from the board would be welcome, and maybe the guy who asks the questions of Callum at the end of the highlights package should ask more pertinent questions. Those involved inside the club need to come up with responses for the fans, community, sponsors etc. before it’s too late.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹