General Election 2024

Couldn't even tell you who any of the Mayors are in England apart from Sadiq Khan. What powers do they have in comparison with a normal run of the mill Leader of x Council.

58 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Are they the only football clubs in the entire UK to have a Tory MP?

19 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Yup. Only league teams 

Apparently Bromley have one too

24 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Couldn't even tell you who any of the Mayors are in England apart from Sadiq Khan. What powers do they have in comparison with a normal run of the mill Leader of x Council.

Andy Burnham is Mayor of somewhere or other.

Ian Murray is the Secretary of State for Scotland.

Yes, that Ian Murray.

No I’m not joking, he really is.

Just let that sink in. :(

11 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Andy Burnham is Mayor of somewhere or other.

Me after reading this and being a diddy after forgetting Burnham.

FTbfy8LXsAE1QwW.thumb.jpg.a2f6ebf14dbf1656964a75b41399c25b.jpg

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Ian Murray is the Secretary of State for Scotland.

Yes, that Ian Murray.

No I’m not joking, he really is.

Just let that sink in. :(

No it’s not that Ian Murray, it’s the other one 

Just now, The Other Foot said:

No it’s not that Ian Murray, it’s the other one 

He's done a decent job at Raith tbf. 

For the folk that did any door chapping in the last few weeks the reason I most heard for voting labour was " too get rid of the tories" nothing about campervans/gra reform etc etc it was getting rid of the tories,apart from friends in the North east for them it was "I'm not voting for that slimy p***k " 😂

In the words of I can't remember" we go again" and if we get routed at the Scottish elections we go again after that, basically it was always going to be a long hard road 

2 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

For the folk that did any door chapping in the last few weeks the reason I most heard for voting labour was " too get rid of the tories" nothing about campervans/gra reform etc etc it was getting rid of the tories,apart from friends in the North east for them it was "I'm not voting for that slimy p***k " 😂

In the words of I can't remember" we go again" and if we get routed at the Scottish elections we go again after that, basically it was always going to be a long hard road 

It's a particularly long hard road when the entire established media of the entire country is ranged against you 

On a daily basis 

Just now, Binos said:

It's a particularly long hard road when the entire established media of the entire country is ranged against you 

On a daily basis 

I'm used to it by now and it's going to get worse now that bbc jockoland have there pals in power 😉

11 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I agree about Cameron's utter culpability.

However, Liz Truss was in a different league of awfulness.

Truss did HUGE amount of damage, her and the Chancellor Kwartang. Almost like they were making profits from it!

Cameron with his Brexit did a huge amount of damage too. There were some 'ok-ish' Tory Leaders, John Major while made big financial mistakes wasn't as bad as Cameron & Osbourne with the hellish austerity.

I do unfortunately expect the Tories to recover, just hope they don't go more right wing. With Europe, France, even Canada lurching ever more right wards it is worrying.

I tell you now, after a 14 year break from when I last lived in India, Delhi at 45 degrees Celcius even throughout the night was bloody scary. It wasn't as hot back in 2008 and 2001/2003. If it's not 'global warming' what is making the sun unbearable hot. 

For those of you with children & grand children, I'd be worrying for them. Trump and his climate denial is very frightening.

1 minute ago, Sonam said:

Truss did HUGE amount of damage, her and the Chancellor Kwartang. Almost like they were making profits from it!

Cameron with his Brexit did a huge amount of damage too. There were some 'ok-ish' Tory Leaders, John Major while made big financial mistakes wasn't as bad as Cameron & Osbourne with the hellish austerity.

I do unfortunately expect the Tories to recover, just hope they don't go more right wing. With Europe, France, even Canada lurching ever more right wards it is worrying.

I tell you now, after a 14 year break from when I last lived in India, Delhi at 45 degrees Celcius even throughout the night was bloody scary. It wasn't as hot back in 2008 and 2001/2003. If it's not 'global warming' what is making the sun unbearable hot. 

For those of you with children & grand children, I'd be worrying for them. Trump and his climate denial is very frightening.

Major is termed as ok, only because people fondly remember a time when the UK wasn't as fucked as it is now 

Our children will fondly be looking back at these times 

The slide is inexorable 

1 hour ago, Cheese said:

They have powers over larger areas with the big ones being transport, police and fire and emergency planning of that larger area.

That kinda makes sense when there's a central point like a city with outlying councils that have large amounts of commuter.

I don't see how it's workable in Scotland Glasgow and Edinburgh are already run by city councils and if you wanted to expand them it's very hard to say where they stop

The people of Scotland thinking Labour is the answer to the last 14 years of Tory misrule!

Bert got it right: “The definition of 'insanity' is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The people of Scotland thinking Labour is the answer to the last 14 years of Tory misrule!

Bert got it right: “The definition of 'insanity' is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

The whole of the entire U.K. is deteriorating. Just look at the state of the roads. How is it possible that 3rd world countries such as Peru, Colombia, Mexico, India even Pakistan improving their infrastructure while the U.K. gets worse.

The SNP, Tories solo and also in coalition with Lib Dems & Labour have all been in power throughout this time. Someone has to be blamed. Too easy to say it's not 1 parties fault. Ridiculous really. Take 1 look at the youtube videos of the roads in Kashmir then compare that to Scotland.

SNP had tax raising powers as well. Every party is to blame tbh.

I think pretty much everywhere in England has a mayor now. Think you could split it up:

1. Glasgow City 

2. Edinburgh, East Lothian and Midlothian

3. Falkirk, Stirling, Clackmannanshire and South West Fife

4. Lanarkshire, Dunbartonshire, Renfrewshire and Ayrshire

5. South of Scotland

6. North East Fife, Angus, Perthshire and Tayside

7. Aberdeen and North East Scotland 

8. Highlands and Islands

1 hour ago, Cheese said:

The ones you probably know about are regional mayors.  Their patch is made up of a group of councils under one umbrella so Andy Burnham is the Mayor of Greater Manchester, which includes the cities of Manchester, Salford etc.  They have a variety of devolved powers like transport and Khan is involved with the London Fire Brigade and Metropolitan Police.  Burnham has now got the buses back under public control.

Steve Rotherham is Burnham's counterpart, serving as the mayor of Liverpool City Region so my regional mayor.  They are both ex-Labour MPs so know the political system and were more than happy to give Westminster grief.  They can get themselves in the media.  They are football rivals, with Rotherham supporting Liverpool and Burnham supporting Everton.  They also have a bit of a laugh, with stuff like DJ battles.

There is a school of thought that if your regional mayor was Tory, you would get a better deal from Westminster when the famous "Levelling Up" money was being dished out.  Apparently, the idea of more regional powers in England was not that popular before the regional mayors.  However, it would be interesting to see how that would go now, after money that could have been used elsewhere in the country was allocated to things like London Crossrail.

The really worrying thing about this election is not only the low voter turnout, but the rise of Reform & Nigel Farage. All thanks to the free promotion of BBC news, Question time, Sky and the U.K. newspapers.

Worse things are on their way in the next few years. Only need to look to France.

Just now, Sonam said:

The really worrying thing about this election is not only the low voter turnout, but the rise of Reform & Nigel Farage. All thanks to the free promotion of BBC news, Question time, Sky and the U.K. newspapers.

Worse things are on their way in the next few years. Only need to look to France.

Also the far left independents winning a few seats. Corbyn not so worrying because he’s been the MP there for a really long time, but the ones who took places like Leicester South seem like a strange choice. Especially sad to see Jo Cox’s old constituency over taken by the far left.