General Election 2024

Was so surprised and gutted by the results in Scotland I’ve not taken the chance to celebrate the departure of Shapps, Mogg and in particular Truss.*

A woman whose political ambitions are a the opposite end of the scale to her abilities.  I was astounded when she was made PM and not really surprised that her short reign was such and unmitigated disaster.

Anyone with a modicum of self awareness would now be having a long hard think about whether they have the credibility to carry on promoting them self and their discredited agenda.  Sadly Truss is not in that mould.

*rectifying that as I type with a lunchtime glass of Faustino Reserve.

12 hours ago, DC92 said:

Not really, given the multiple mandates that the SNP won were not acknowledged by the UK government or by Unionists as a whole.

Unionists were always going to present this result a vote for the union, as they have done in previous elections where the SNP didn't receive over 50% of the popular vote.

Rule 1 of Unionism: If it doesn't help them, it doesn't count.

4 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

How come? The labour goon that won Inverclude seems a bit of a fud

I Just couldn't stick Cowan. Not got any idea of the new MP but he's labour so I'd be ignoring him anyway.

4 hours ago, AndyM said:

They've been guilty of believing their own press telling them how wonderful they are.

Independence will be the long game but won't be front and centre any more. They need to move completely past the Sturgeon era and change the internal dynamics of the way the party is run. It has to be much more transparent.  If Swinney concentrates on the NHS, Education and the Cost of Living Crisis showing absolute focus on that and not allowing the party to get sidetracked with stuff like the Gender ID Bill and the Hate Crime bill (scrapping this wouldn't be a bad idea along with sending Matheson to the back benches) then he will be able to turn things around.

The road back starts with being competent and showing it.

Agreed.

While the Gender ID Bill & Hate Crime Bill may not have been the reasons the SNP has fucked it (IMO it's Sturgeon, the finance thing, inaction on independence and Yousaf's uselessness), it had to have played some part.

The former was a hill the greens were willing to die on (it's kind of their thing) and I've got no doubt that the SNP effectively shelving it had some part to play in the collapse of the BHA - especially with the backlash starting with the Greens' LGBT group.

The latter was Humza's flagship and while anti-Hate crime legislation is good, it was a mess of a bill, and of course the suggested recording of non-criminal incidents didn't make it much sweeter. 

As for Cost of Living, as you raise, I don't think there's much Holyrood can do. It was obvious over in Germany that our issue isn't Ukraine, or even governmental incompetence (not to suggest that hasn't made it worse) - it's Brexit. Although, that should be obvious to anyone who knows what a Single Market is and that 32 countries to trade with is greater than the UK's 3.

Until Independence (or a radical U-Turn down south), that's a problem we can only mitigate, but it won't get better. We have to either import at increased rates from Europe, or we have to import from the Americas or Asia - long journeys. Holyrood is largely powerless in that regard - and I think the SNP know it.

NHS, Education and Transport are that areas that need a heavy focus. Day-to-day stuff that people feel and that the Scottish parliament can control - not the 'Cost of Living' crisis caused entirely by the UK's decision to isolate itself from the largest trade bloc on the planet.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Was so surprised and gutted by the results in Scotland I’ve not taken the chance to celebrate the departure of Shapps, Mogg and in particular Truss.*

A woman whose political ambitions are a the opposite end of the scale to her abilities.  I was astounded when she was made PM and not really surprised that her short reign was such and unmitigated disaster.

Anyone with a modicum of self awareness would now be having a long hard think about whether they have the credibility to carry on promoting them self and their discredited agenda.  Sadly Truss is not in that mould.

*rectifying that as I type with a lunchtime glass of Faustino Reserve.

Nigella didn't waste any time celebrating Truss' demise.

Also congratulated a lot of Labour victories and appointments. 

Strange given who her Dad was.

Edited by eindhovendee
Spelling

11 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

Hannah Bardell’s twitter breakdown is a thing of beauty. The most “woe is me” self indulgent bollocks ever.

Dreadful Woman. Delighted she’s out on her ear.

What’s she said???

1 hour ago, eindhovendee said:

Nigella didn't waste any time celebrating Truss' demise.

Also congratulated a lot of Labour victories and appointments. 

Strange given who her Dad was.

Either that or it demonstrates that the Tories and labour are 2 cheeks of the same arse and you can barely slide a rizla between them...

4 hours ago, Glen Sannox said:

I’m rubbish at posting links but it’s on X.

Taking self indulgence to the next level.

I rather think you are over stating. 

What I see is a helpful and quite humble sharing of information. 

That is not to ignore the self indulgence that did her and her party so much harm. 

She fairly recently got all anxious and posted a Twitter diatribe about Tam Cowan. This, of course, is a job for the self styled posters of P&B and not for a serious politician. 

If she'd made hating Tam Cowan part of her pitch to voters, she might have kept her seat.

4 hours ago, Glen Sannox said:

I’m rubbish at posting links but it’s on X.

Taking self indulgence to the next level.

It was a nothing video 

Am I right in saying that of the 48 Scottish seats that the SNP didn’t win, they came second in every single one of them?

When was the last time the SNP didn’t finish in the top 2 of any Scottish FPTP seat in any Westminster or Scottish election? 

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, ford prefect said:

Either that or it demonstrates that the Tories and labour are 2 cheeks of the same arse and you can barely slide a rizla between them...

Is sliding a rizla paper between the cheeks of an arse a thing these days?

Things were so much simpler when I was a lad.

(Awaits comments about when that was).

Edited by Granny Danger

On 08/07/2024 at 15:19, Glen Sannox said:

Hannah Bardell’s twitter breakdown is a thing of beauty. The most “woe is me” self indulgent bollocks ever.

Dreadful Woman. Delighted she’s out on her ear.

This election we saw Liz Truss, Jacob Rees-Mogg and Richard Drax - a man who literally owns a Caribbean plantation - all voted out but its a working class woman from Broxburn who you reserved your ire for. You truly know where power lies in society.